Sponsored by:

Newbie saying hi and asking questions

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2012, 02:56 PM
chezza
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie saying hi and asking questions

So I joined the forums the other day as I'm looking to buy and owners clubs seem a good place to start.

I've had a couple of jap turbos before (toyotas) and found them a bit on the thirsty side, but I've finally accepted that if I want to enjoy driving something then I'll just have to live with this.

I've a budget of around £6000 would prefer to spend less but can go slighlty higher for the right car, I'm moving just after Xmas so ideally don't want to purchase til mid jan.

I'd like low mileage and preferably 05 or newer

I've had a look I the sale section and there are a couple I do like the look of but I'm Hull and they are miles away but if they are still for sale In the new year will be looking to travel down. That said if anyone close is thinking of selling I'm open to reccomandations.

I've a couple of questions
For the age of the car I'm looking at what the standard power is it 270

I spoke to a guy with a 2003 (blob eye?) he said he was seeing around 340 with a remap and straight through exhaust , car was fast but this seems like a big boost increase is this realistic/gnna destroy the engine, is he full of ****?

How reliable are the scoobys? Are there any major faults need looking out for ?
Is there a buyers guide ?

Cheers guys
Old 20 December 2012, 03:14 PM
daz b
Scooby Regular

Welcome,if the guy has a sti then 330 ish is possible,sti's are good for over 400 bhp on standard engine/gearbox.
Old 20 December 2012, 03:56 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sti ftw don't get wrx only ever wish you brought the sti
Old 20 December 2012, 05:22 PM
chezza
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by sonic93
what are the big differences between the 2?

Ive seen the sti have different bodywork/body kit,a re the engines and gearboxes different as well?

Id sort of of thought it was just a 'tuned ' wrx is this not the case?
Old 20 December 2012, 05:48 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

Semi closed deck block (stronger) forged pistons more power 6 speed box blue interior better suspension bigger bonnet vent and intercooler also better spoiler
Old 20 December 2012, 06:02 PM
daz3883
Scooby Regular

Go for the sti, as sonic said you will only regret it couple of months down the line, when you get used to it and want more power etc. i had a bug wrx before my blob sti, totally different to drive. with that said i think you'll struggle to find an 05' or newer with low mileage for 6k. might be worth lookin at cars bit older. for example, mines on an 04 with 36k, set me back just over 7k 12 months ago, theres plenty out there with decent mileage m8.
Old 20 December 2012, 06:13 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonic93
I never quite understand when people say this, I appreciate if you are going to mod hell out of the car then you may as well get an STI, but for a lot of people, including me, the WRX is a better option.

My car with a simple remap is pushing out the same as a standard STI, yet remains comfortable, refined and does not attract the chavs.

Trending Topics

Old 20 December 2012, 06:38 PM
daz b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz3883
Go for the sti, as sonic said you will only regret it couple of months down the line, when you get used to it and want more power etc. i had a bug wrx before my blob sti, totally different to drive. with that said i think you'll struggle to find an 05' or newer with low mileage for 6k. might be worth lookin at cars bit older. for example, mines on an 04 with 36k, set me back just over 7k 12 months ago, theres plenty out there with decent mileage m8.
As said 6k will get you 53-54 reg with high mileage,I paid 7k for 53 reg low mileage
Old 20 December 2012, 09:17 PM
chezza
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by zippy!
Semi closed deck block (stronger) forged pistons more power 6 speed box blue interior better suspension bigger bonnet vent and intercooler also better spoiler
Thanks

Originally Posted by daz3883
Originally Posted by daz b
As said 6k will get you 53-54 reg with high mileage,I paid 7k for 53 reg low mileage

Im thinking that when i get one Ill try and keep it fairly standard, I do want it as a daily driver so Im not sure Id probably prefer the sti but I could probably live with the wrx.

An 04 with that mileage would be spot on for me,

Ive some flexibility with the budget providing its the right car
Old 20 December 2012, 11:25 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sti all the way mate. I had an 03 wrx was good fun but everything that makes it a fun car is better on the sti. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. also In 5 years time an sti is gonna be worth a lot more what a wrx will
Old 21 December 2012, 08:45 AM
daz b
Scooby Regular

I think with the news that I M motors will not import any more sti's ,in the medium to long term it will have a positive effect on values ( no cars filtering down the food chain to us )

Last edited by daz b; 21 December 2012 at 08:46 AM.