Sponsored by:

Legacy 3.0R Spec B or Forester XT

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2012, 10:52 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Legacy 3.0R Spec B or Forester XT

Looking for a daily to get the dog/bike in.

Mileage ~12k/yr so mpg not too important, but I suppose what is, is driver appeal.

I know the Forester can be a bit sloppy in the cornering, but thicker arb's would sort that. The Leggy seems pretty well sorted out the box with Bilsteins std

So, which one?
Old 19 December 2012, 03:48 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Anyone care to chime in?
Old 19 December 2012, 04:23 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

If you get a XT check the rear self levelling dampers to make sure they don't leak.

They are expensive to replace like for like but you can get non self-levelling KYB with upgraded springs for about £200.
Old 19 December 2012, 05:39 PM
mach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sti forester........
Old 19 December 2012, 05:53 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

I've been trying to convince him to get one, by far the best of both the above
Old 19 December 2012, 05:56 PM
mach
Scooby Regular

do it,you know it makes sense!!!!!!!
Old 19 December 2012, 06:01 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I`ve never heard anyone who has had a 3.0 spec B say a bad word about them; if you look at customer reviews on Autotrader for the Gen IV, all the positive ones are for the 3.0 spec B, which brings the grade average right up for the IV.
Old 19 December 2012, 10:20 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I would get a Forester STi - ticks all the boxes, but it's TWICE as much as a Leggy (£10K Vs £5K)! That's alot of dosh in anyone's wallet
Old 23 December 2012, 12:31 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

I have an 06 Spec B estate.

Great car....except for the tax and mpg.

Lovely engine, heated leather seats, loads of boot space, touch screen sat nav, massive double length sunroof...
Old 23 December 2012, 12:32 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

I should also add..head over to here, nice bunch of guys...www.uklegacy.com
Old 23 December 2012, 03:07 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Do you usually see a bit over 20mpg?
Old 23 December 2012, 04:14 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Do you usually see a bit over 20mpg?
At the moment I'm only doing very short journeys and I'm seeing 18-21mpg. On longer runs I've had up to 31-32mpg.

With the stainless exhaust on it I very rarely see the higher mpg's purely because the sound is so great above 4000rpm
Old 23 December 2012, 08:50 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran a 56 Spec B Legacy for six weeks not by choice but I absolutely loved it. I had taken my Spec D ppp in for a service at a Subaru main dealer who managed to near write it off, removing the front and rear driver side wheels after taking it round the block to "check it was running okay".

The Spec B was a great car and a real alternative choice to an A4 Quattro of the same era. I'm surprised that it wasn't marketed more aggressively as I'm sure it would have been a popular car had more people been aware if it.

It had a brilliant Sat Nav, comfortable leather seats and was quiet on a run. Performance wise it had a nice smooth rapid surge and a wonderful surefootedness when pushed (it wasn't my car and they'd clearly thrashed mine so...). It certainly didn't have the drop-kick style wallop the STi had but certainly had enough poke to impress passengers and get past dawdlers on A-roads.

I have driven a couple of Forester STis and it's certainly a difficult car to forget in a hurry. It has a load of road presence and is quite imposing. It is a great car from the lights and properly shifts (think WRX more than STi) but most of the fun is really blasting a car that looks like it shouldn't be capable of what it is. It's not an Impreza but it's a good deal of the way there and certainly well sorted.

I'm not entirely sure it's possible to compare the Forester to the Legacy as one is very much a performance car and the other a sober-suited rapid saloon but if you're totally open to what kind of car you want I guess it's going to be a lot of fun choosing!
Old 23 December 2012, 09:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Mk IV Legacy 3.0R, so it is auto and missing the Spec B suspension.

I have had it for 2 years from 7 years old and 36000 miles to present 44000 miles.

The interior is quite good, the engine is competent but thirsty (presently I'm getting 17mpg on fun but very twisty commute - same as my other car which has 330 extra BHP - but the Legacy will settle to 32mpg on a long cruise), the autobox is languid but smooth and lazy.

I have just changed the original cat back to a stainless one as the original failed at the Y section. Earlier this year I changed two wheel bearings, two brake caliper pistons (which trashed a replacement set of front discs and pads prematurely), blower fan motor (due to leak from windscreen seal - original, not replacement windscreen).

All of these except the blower fan motor are known issues, I expect the two other wheel bearings will need to be done soon. These issues aside it is a decent car, imperious in the winter on the correct tyres.

Parts prices even with shopping around are expensive, it is a rare model and a lot of pattern parts area not available or expensive.

I bought it hoping for reliability and so far it has disappointed on that front. I'm hoping that once I've done the remaining wheel bearings and rear discs it will be set for a while, but I'll change the sparks, air filter and transmission/diff oils in the summer.

Much as I like the way the Forester's 2.5 turbo engine drives, I'd avoid it on principle as it is a POS for reliability IMHO. It truly lives up to the Cadbury reputation.

Last edited by john banks; 23 December 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 23 December 2012, 09:56 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
I bought it hoping for reliability and so far it has disappointed on that front.
Thats a shame, but I feel that your list is a little more than most will have had to do. But nonetheless you had to do it.

I bought mine on 74,000 and its now up to 84,000. Outside of the usual service items I've only had to change:
  • Centre exhaust Y piece (known issue)
  • ARB bushes and drop links, which at this mileage is going to be normal.
  • Refurb alloys

Before the next MOT:
  • Lower control arm bushes, at this mileage this has to be normal?
  • Discs and pads, but again normal wear.
Old 04 January 2013, 09:18 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

So I've been burning the midnight oil some on deciding what to go for.

I'm erring toward the Forester, the S/tb looks pretty good
Old 10 January 2013, 01:36 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been looking at the Spec B again, now that I have a Co fuel card

But looking at those mpg figures I'm going to be paying a shed load of tax on the extra fuel I buy. I have a daily 90 mile round trip to work and back, 90% of which is the M3. I can usualy get it done on £70 worth of diesel a week running roughly 41 mpg in a v50 2.0 D estate which is pretty good going as I dont hang about on the motorway (along with everyone else I hasten to add). As much as I'd like a B-Spec I think it would be foolish with those mpg figures.
Old 10 January 2013, 08:40 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I hope they're generous with their allowance
Old 11 January 2013, 12:31 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesetter
I hope they're generous with their allowance
Unlimited "But dont take the ****"

I'm more concerned about the tax man with all that extra fuel I'd have to purchase
Old 11 January 2013, 01:38 PM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

i've got a MY07 XT(EN) with dealer fit PPP. i've changed the front and rears brakes to 4 pots and 2 pots, and upgraded the rear ARB.

I'd say this is the one of the best best cars i've had and certainly best allround balance of car for all of the things that you want it for. Just to give a bit of context, i'm a quick estate nut (RS6, S6 RS4, WRX, 3.2 Quattro Sport Audi A4, Vectra VXR, Leggy etc) fuel economy isn't great but i do similar mileage to you and i've got all the toys of the Spec B, heathed leather, dual sunroof but dont mind throwing the two dogs in the back and the bike in (then hosing it down!)

Cheers

Steve
Old 11 January 2013, 11:11 PM
mikeyw
Scooby Regular

I'm on my second spec b, having had 4 outback 3.0's. The spec b is a great cruiser - very comfortable, great sounding engine and enough poke to be fun to drive and pass most things. Lots of room (I've the sports tourer) and huge sunroof. It is thirsty - long trips I think I average about 24mpg - I've done France in it pretty much none stop 878 miles and it's great. Brakes I felt were weak so I moved my 6 pot ap's from my old outback on and it makes a big difference. Best car I've ever had !! (apart from my cosworth!!) I'd recommend them for sure - mines off the road just now thanks to a massive pot hole taking out 2 wheels and the ap brakes being refurbished...
Old 11 January 2013, 11:56 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Spec B given to me as a long term courtesy car as I said above and I thrashed the wotsits off it, the trip computer said over 2,200 miles including driving it along snake pass and over the roads of East Lancashire and back and forth to Warwickshire was 31mpg... I did put V Power in it mind
Old 12 January 2013, 08:18 AM
mikeyw
Scooby Regular

Never tried it with higher octane - might give that a go!
Old 07 January 2014, 09:45 PM
herbertpug
Scooby Newbie

Default Spec-B Ownership notes

I've had a spec-B estate (55 plate, Gen 4) since 60k, now on 110k. Over 5 years.
I Do 130 miles a day commute. Often in another car, but more frequently in the Spec-B.
Tax is the £170'ish amount.
MPG is about 24-26 but I had it converted to LPG so costs the equivalent of 45-50mpg in other vehicles. So 330 miles for about £40 lpg.

Braided brake hoses, EBC red pads/ turbomax discs, ARB's, Droplinks and bushes, and complete Quad pipe STi S/Steel exhaust are the main requirements in 50k miles.

An easy mod is the cosworth flat panel air filter.

I do Like it a lot!
Old 07 January 2014, 10:53 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

JDM Spec B GT. Torque GT have some in stock. 280bhp twinscroll, Bilsteins and the STi style clocks. I had a WR LTD and regret getting rid. I did P/X it for Foggy STi with the Litcho pack.
Old 08 January 2014, 05:32 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I had a forester turbo S before the spec B, and my old man has a XT.

Main thing to consider is that the forester is just an impreza underneath so the boot and cabin space are essentially the same (but higher) the Legacy is a much bigger car. In terms of performance the Forester feels quicker but less planted, the legacy is quicker and more planted.

Mines on 90k and so far has had the exhaust replaced (custom stainless at around £600-£800 is the way to go) and the drop links, I will need to do the front wishbone bushes soon but these are really expected wear items on most cars at this age/mileage.
Old 08 January 2014, 07:10 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had a forester turbo and my brother in law had an outback, as you know I now have the WRX Wagon PPP and i'd choose it again all day long over the other two, better drive and better fuel economy, cheaper to buy, run and by the sounds of it more reliable too.

WIN, WIN, WIN!