Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2012, 08:30 PM
stubarura
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a bit more poke from my scoobie

I bought an 02 bugeye wrx a couple of months back, it has the following mods:

sti intercooler.
de-cat downpipe+full stainless system but im unsure of the bore.
walbro fuel pump.
high flow panel filter.
it has been re-mapped to 276bhp apparantly, however there is just a printed receipt for this with no dyno printout, so im a little unsure if this is authentic.

Anyway early in the new year im hoping to get a better turbo than this td04 and a set of maybe 650cc injectors, then a trip to andy forrest for a remap..
I need a little help in choosing a turbo and any other mods i need to buy? Im hoping for between 360-400 bhp
Old 16 December 2012, 08:52 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

You might need a six speed gearbox for that output, although people have run the 5 speed it might become financially crippling swapping 5 speeds out because they have gone pop.
Old 16 December 2012, 08:59 PM
stubarura
Scooby Newbie

Yeah ive heard conflicting stories of what power the 5 speed box can handle, to be honest i will probably go against what the majority of people think as im not really a big fan of 6 speed. A few yrs ago i had a version 7 sti and a version 8 sti, both jdm cars with 6 speed and i hated having to change up to 3rd gear to get to 60 mph so hopefully my 5 speed will cope with the power.
Old 16 December 2012, 09:02 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bigger turbo, injectors, intercooler will be needed to reach that sort of power not to mention cash and even more like to help the engine and gearbox survive long enough!

A 50bhp hike is more realistic.
Old 16 December 2012, 09:04 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

If its only a Wrx then 320 about the limit unless you upgrade the gearbox as mentioned. If you want 360 to 400 really need a sti to start with, unless you rebuild the engine with stronger internals
Old 16 December 2012, 09:08 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

running 450bhp on 5 speed for the last 9 months, still going strong (maybe i have a special 5 speed lol)
i am upgrading to a 6 speed as im going rotated gt30 soon
get yourself a quick spooling turbo, billet SC36-SC38 or VF34 if you can find one. that'll be fun

wiley

Last edited by wiley; 16 December 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 16 December 2012, 09:10 PM
stubarura
Scooby Newbie

Its only a wrx, if i had the coin i would have went for a bugeye sti, out of all the imprezas and evo i owned, that was my favourite.... Maybe an sti next year
Old 16 December 2012, 09:13 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stubarura
Its only a wrx, if i had the coin i would have went for a bugeye sti, out of all the imprezas and evo i owned, that was my favourite.... Maybe an sti next year
Enjoy your Wrx for now still a quick car :-)
Old 16 December 2012, 09:15 PM
sunnyjones003
Scooby Regular

Dont see the problems about the gearbox. Got a bug wrx over 400bhp and got a 5speed box. Takes abuse everyday.

If it helps mate i got a af20g turbo with lateral 650 injestors. Works well
Old 16 December 2012, 09:26 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sunnyjones003
Dont see the problems about the gearbox. Got a bug wrx over 400bhp and got a 5speed box. Takes abuse everyday.

This is what I like to hear. The more of these threads that come out, the more rep the old 5 speed will get, the less people will feel the need to buy the 6 speed, the price will come down to sensible levels, then we can all get one!!
Old 16 December 2012, 09:39 PM
stubarura
Scooby Newbie

Cheers mate yeah that helps, what other mods do you have on your car to get that sort of power?
Old 17 December 2012, 12:27 AM
j4meswrx
Scooby Regular

hi bud i had a 2003 blob wrx running 380bhp on a 5 speed and it was fine aslong as you dont launch it all the time. the engines are strong at 400 i ran 380 hp for 6 months and i sold the car and its still running that power with 5 speed a yr from when i sold it aslong as you service it with decent oils the engine will be fine. a 6 speed would be fail safe at 400hp where as a 5 speed is more of a ticking time bomb
Old 17 December 2012, 05:12 AM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Running 360 in my classic gearbox went pop
Old 17 December 2012, 06:09 AM
retarded
Scooby Regular

I read through your list of mods three times:

Do you have a standard WRX uppipe??????

If you do, replace it with an STI unit. It will spool earlier and result in better oomph.
Old 17 December 2012, 09:20 AM
stubarura
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by retarded
I read through your list of mods three times:

Do you have a standard WRX uppipe??????

If you do, replace it with an STI unit. It will spool earlier and result in better oomph.
Yeah as far as im aware it is the standard up pipe, would an up pipe from a bugeye sti be a good swap? Also i have the chance of a td05 20g turbo, any thoughts on these?
Old 17 December 2012, 08:18 PM
sunnyjones003
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate yeah that helps, what other mods do you have on your car to get that sort of power?
af20g turbo
650cc
front mount (not needed but i had one in the garage)
inner wing induction kit
rcm headers with venturi uppipe
full s/s exhaust system
new fuel pump 255 walbro
and to top in off a simtek pro verision ecu and mapper by graham (enginemapper).

i think thats it
Old 17 December 2012, 08:23 PM
sunnyjones003
Scooby Regular

Yeah as far as im aware it is the standard up pipe, would an up pipe from a bugeye sti be a good swap? Also i have the chance of a td05 20g turbo, any thoughts on these?

sorry to double post

the sti uppipe would be a good swap, but if you are aiming for 380 i would go for a venturi/ harveys uppipe if you can get one. excellent product.

the only thing with a 20g on a 2 litre is, its laggy, but thats where my anti lag comes in handy. my turbo kicks in at around 3600-4000 rpm, BUT it is a good turbo and the price is good for one of these.

thats my thoughts anyway
Old 17 December 2012, 08:40 PM
Jacko4130
Scooby Regular

the only thing with a 20g on a 2 litre is, its laggy, but thats where my anti lag comes in handy. my turbo kicks in at around 3600-4000 rpm

So in the real world do you drive around with anti lag on all the time?
Old 17 December 2012, 09:17 PM
sunnyjones003
Scooby Regular

depends if i want a blast lol
Old 18 December 2012, 01:38 AM
retarded
Scooby Regular

now that I know you have a standard up pipe:

theres a big bloody catalytic converter in there which restricts exhaust gas flow and has potential to decompose and go into your turbo so that alone is a good reason to get rid of it. When you change the uppipe for an STI one there is no catalytic converter in there. You will need a 0.2 ohm resistor to put in the EGT probe port - search online its really very easy and you can get the resistors in heaps of places. That will avoid any engine fault codes being thrown up. Warning: if you dont have a sports cat somewhere else in the system you might now have a full decatted system and potentially run foul of the law come MOT time. Some people have special maps they put on to get through the MOT, me, I just put a sports cat on it in the downpipe... well worth the investment - no hassles then.

I humbly suggest you to the uppipe change first, tune for 280-290 bhp and see how you feel about things then. You might find that good spool from 2000 ish, full boost at 2800 rpm gives you a really nice punch in the *** that your after, without going the whole hog and ending up with massive power, but over a 3000 rpm rev range.

Just my opinion, but whilst I admire the guys putting out 400 bhp +, I dont like their cars because its done around 3500 - 4000 rpm. Sure its a big whoompf when it comes but before that? Boring, slow, kind of a two speed car really. I question the driveability and enjoyment one gets from such a set up. No offence intended to any poster but someone that says my ride aint laggy, and boost comes at 3600 with anti - lag... well I have to disagree.

For about 30 quid and 2 hours labour, you could have the up pipe changed ( assuming you go full decat and dont fit a sportscat in your down pipe or somewhere else in the system). A remap as well for a couple of hundred and you might just find you have the car you want in your existing set up. Best of luck whichever way you go bro.
Old 18 December 2012, 01:42 AM
retarded
Scooby Regular

just noticed you had an STI intercooler, so you could probably have it tuned to 300 ish without any real risk to the car. Numbers arent that important, driveability is in my opinion.
Old 18 December 2012, 12:11 PM
stubarura
Scooby Newbie

just noticed you had an STI intercooler, so you could probably have it tuned to 300 ish without any real risk to the car. Numbers arent that important, driveability is in my opinion.
Yeah the car has an sti intercooler but not sure how much good this will be doing??? What i mean is, when i lift the bonnet of the car, do you know the plastic/rubber air guide which sits on top of the intercooler when the bonnet is closed that directs the air? Well this is a lot smaller than the sti intercooler, obviously it is to fit the original wrx intercooler, so surely to take advantage of the larger intercooler the guy should have changed the air guide under the bonnet to fit the larger intercooler?

now that I know you have a standard up pipe:

theres a big bloody catalytic converter in there which restricts exhaust gas flow and has potential to decompose and go into your turbo so that alone is a good reason to get rid of it. When you change the uppipe for an STI one there is no catalytic converter in there. You will need a 0.2 ohm resistor to put in the EGT probe port - search online its really very easy and you can get the resistors in heaps of places. That will avoid any engine fault codes being thrown up. Warning: if you dont have a sports cat somewhere else in the system you might now have a full decatted system and potentially run foul of the law come MOT time. Some people have special maps they put on to get through the MOT, me, I just put a sports cat on it in the downpipe... well worth the investment - no hassles then.

I humbly suggest you to the uppipe change first, tune for 280-290 bhp and see how you feel about things then. You might find that good spool from 2000 ish, full boost at 2800 rpm gives you a really nice punch in the *** that your after, without going the whole hog and ending up with massive power, but over a 3000 rpm rev range.

Just my opinion, but whilst I admire the guys putting out 400 bhp +, I dont like their cars because its done around 3500 - 4000 rpm. Sure its a big whoompf when it comes but before that? Boring, slow, kind of a two speed car really. I question the driveability and enjoyment one gets from such a set up. No offence intended to any poster but someone that says my ride aint laggy, and boost comes at 3600 with anti - lag... well I have to disagree.

For about 30 quid and 2 hours labour, you could have the up pipe changed ( assuming you go full decat and dont fit a sportscat in your down pipe or somewhere else in the system). A remap as well for a couple of hundred and you might just find you have the car you want in your existing set up. Best of luck whichever way you go bro.
Got my eye on a stainles decat up-pipe from a local tuner on ebay, just waiting to get a message back to see if its the right one for my car and i will get it, would it be worth paying an xtra £40 to get it heat wrapped?
Old 18 December 2012, 02:29 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will have a Scoobyworld afterburner aka Hayward and Scott decat up-pipe which has been heat wrapped (RRP £139.99 plus the wrapping ££)
Will be for sale next week. £70 posted

Wiley

Last edited by wiley; 18 December 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 19 December 2012, 06:03 AM
retarded
Scooby Regular

Heat wrap, placebo, forget it.
If staying with TD04, get sti up pipe, nothing else.
If going for 20g or vf22, get the pipe offered on this thread.
Reason being the sti pipe is 2.25 inch diameter, Ebay jobs are 2.5, the bigger turbo would benefit from the larger up pipe diameter but not the TD04. TD04 with wrong pipe results in full boost around 3200, with sti pipe, 2800. With correct pipe the TD04 will start making noticeable boost from 2100, result being a more driveable car.

Regarding the scoop, get an sti scoop, it will make better use of that intercooler. Its not urgent, the only time the scoop would help is when your on boost for long periods of time ie track work, on the street, not that important
Old 23 February 2013, 12:43 PM
steviechi
Scooby Regular

STi intercooler and scoop + hoses
TD05-20G (AFP)
Decat uppipe
Prodrive sportscat
2.5" system with resonator pipe
WRX Sport back box
650cc injectors
255 fuel pump
K&N panel filter
Exedy H1 pink clutch
AFP remap (conservative bacause 110k on the clock)
Done properly by AS Performance after Eclipse fudded things up...

Now 360bhp and going strong
Old 23 February 2013, 12:56 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

sorry to double post

the sti uppipe would be a good swap, but if you are aiming for 380 i would go for a venturi/ harveys uppipe if you can get one. excellent product.

the only thing with a 20g on a 2 litre is, its laggy, but thats where my anti lag comes in handy. my turbo kicks in at around 3600-4000 rpm, BUT it is a good turbo and the price is good for one of these.

thats my thoughts anyway
Your 20G kicks in at 3600/4000 ????
Something needs looking at there, my 20G was far from laggy. Made a bar of boost before 3000rpm. I also had anti lag but never needed to use it, If your needing to use it then id have the car looked at.
Old 23 February 2013, 01:11 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Most of the complaint about 5 speed boxs is on the early models because they are easy to destroy with moderate power levels over standard power.my wife broke two on her Subaru but the third one must of been put together with love or something because it's given her no problems whatsoever the newage 5 speed gear boxes are stronger but anything over 380bhp and your on borrowed time just make sure you have a good clutch (unworn) as a worn clutch puts pressure on gear boxes ideally future proof with a 6 speed as there are numerous big power cars running one without trouble.SJ.
Old 23 February 2013, 01:14 PM
Emmaroids
BANNED

you need a 4 speed auto, good for up to 900bhp