Sponsored by:

headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2012, 08:50 PM
mark1esc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight bulbs

can anyone tell me if bi xenon headlight bulbs will fit in my 1997 scooby sport thanks
Old 15 December 2012, 09:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Depends...what EXACTLY is a "bi-xenon headlight bulb"?

Do you mean an HID aftermarket kit? if so, yes, but do a search BEFORE purchasing.
1. They are crap.
2. They are now illegal, many police forces require their removal and some dish out £60 fines to go with it.
3. They are an MoT fail.
Old 15 December 2012, 09:28 PM
mark1esc
Scooby Regular

well my lights are s##t what to see where im going so want some good bulbs what do you suggest thanks
Old 16 December 2012, 12:23 AM
_Viktor
Scooby Regular

Hijack....
any suggestions for bulbs for bugeye STI's.... dont know the fitting type, its black plastic with a 90' right angle in it.

Getting dark n grim here n noticed that the driving lights are pretty shoddy

Vik
Old 16 December 2012, 08:21 AM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

Just fitted Osram nightbreaker bulbs, dipped are H1 and the main are HB3, the ones you are on about with the 90 angle are the main (HB3)
The difference is like night and day !
Old 16 December 2012, 08:46 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Night breakers in my Fab too - had various bulbs over the years and I really rate these!
Old 16 December 2012, 09:39 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I have to say tbh that I found the hid kit I installed was much better than my standard bulbs, admittedly I did not try the osrams but have ran the halfords (GE) bulbs in the past and I found the hid's to be brighter than them, again the halfords bulbs I ran in my Cupar R which were great compared to the bulbs that came out but from memory I would say the hid kit I put in the scoob was brighter than the Ibiza, perhaps it has something to do with the reflectors , but after having my jdm now with factory fitted hid's I can clearly see the difference between the two, the aftermarket kit did brighten the lights but has no where near the same clarity or pattern the jdm lights produce, I also rate the halfords bulbs tbh over other brands out there especially the cheap tat from eBay ( never again ) but as alcazar has stated they are illegal now and will fail come mot time and tbh I don't think I would fit another set of them again now after seeing the difference between a oem hid's and the aftermarket ones, like I said above there is a clear difference between the 2
Old 16 December 2012, 09:46 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Philips rally 100w not strictly legal, but probably the best std fit bulbs for a classic.
Old 16 December 2012, 11:42 AM
fasteddie84
Scooby Regular

I was always under the assumption that if you have HIDs fitted, then you need to have headlight washers. As most people don't fit the washer, as it is a lot fo work, they fail their MOT.
Old 16 December 2012, 01:43 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Been using Philips x-treme h4 for some time. Have tried the Nightbreakers etc and found the Philips to be the best IMHO fitted to MY97 UK Turbo. As good as standard bulbs get in the standard ****ty Impreza headlamps. Make sure the lamps are correctly aligned for maximum benefit. Your local back street MOT station will be happy to do this for about a tenner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-EX...item19c4e2489f

Old 16 December 2012, 03:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fasteddie84
I was always under the assumption that if you have HIDs fitted, then you need to have headlight washers. As most people don't fit the washer, as it is a lot fo work, they fail their MOT.
Sorry, but you are mistaken. The law, AS IT STANDS, states that if HID is a factory fit, then any washers and/or levelling system ALSO fitted must be in working order. It DOESN'T say they HAVE to be fitted, nor does it say they must be retrofitted.

As to HIDs:

They are now illegal and should be an MoT fail. This is because the new law makes it an offence to operate a light with a bulb not suited to that light unit, so: HID in one designed for halogen, halogen in one designed for tungsten, (or, indeed, HID).

The MoT tester has only to check the e-mark on the light, (if it doesn't have one, that's another fail), and he will know what tuype of bulb SHOULD be fitted.

H4 HID's are awful. I can't be bothered to type out why again, but they fail on so many levels.

Other SINGLE filament HIDs arten't bad, but fall foul of the new MoT.

Osram, Philips, GE, Halfords, Ring, Hella all make decent "uprated" bulbs.

Avoid cheap copies, blue tinted etc etc. You DO get what you pay for.

Avoid higher wattage except Philips rally 100W.

When changing ANY bulb, fingers OFF the glass and DO make sure it's fitted right way round and SEATED PROPERLY. Even a 1mm badly fitted bulb will cause all sorts of scatter.
Old 16 December 2012, 06:01 PM
panta_rei
Scooby Regular

What about the projector HID kits? They are HID bulbs in housings made for HID bulbs...
Old 16 December 2012, 06:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Ah..grey area.

STRICTLY speaking, they will be a no-no as the glass lens of the original headlight will be e-marked to expect a halogen bulb.

Tester can't see what bulb is in without taking them apart, which he will not do: pass.

Beam pattern is perfect: pass.

Bulbs are usually NOT too blue: pass.

But we'll see...........

Last edited by alcazar; 16 December 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 16 December 2012, 07:11 PM
panta_rei
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Ah..grey area.

STRICTLY speaking, they will be a no-no as the glass lens of the original headlight will be e-marked to expect a halogen bulb.

Tester can't see what bulb is in without taking them apart, which he will not do: pass.

Beam pattern is perfect: pass.

Bulbs are usually NOT too blue: pass.

But we'll see...........
God, I envy you so much, guys. We have so much redtape for even changing a freaking indicator-glass from yellow to transparent (with yellow bulbs). While you can freely switch exhausts, tires, wheels, and so on; we're not allowed to do anything (at least not without paying so much we get queazy).

Or if we do it, we risk paying 500 EUR fine and additional 800 EUR if the cops catch us during the weekend (the 800 EUR being for towing the vehicle and an emergency inspection outside work hours of the vehicle to prove an unhomolagted part being used). Having non-OEM HIDs or anything that is not standard here is just a lovely dream.

I'm sure I would even get grief for an STI spoiler on a GL/GX Impreza at the Import Inspection.
Old 16 December 2012, 08:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Which country is that?

I know in France it is possible, because I've come across modded Scoobs over there, one last year from Rouen.