ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Blobeye wrx reliability woes for potential buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2012, 08:10 PM
matt_uk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blobeye wrx reliability woes for potential buyer

Hi all, I have wanted an impreza for a good few years now, and im now in the position to buy one, recently sold my car due to initially getting fed up with filling it up, and worried about something going wrong, as with a 90k bmw, the suspension was on its way out, plus needed a service within 1000 miles so was looking at spending a bit in the near future, luckily didnt loose too much on it from the price i paid a year ago.

So i thought right ok, im going to buy something a bit more sensible now, i looked and there was nothing out therethat i actually wanted, or remotly interests me, for the money i have
( £4.5k)

Looked at all the typical diesel golfs/ astras 1.9cdti etc, and just been put off with the turbos going, and the egr valves, etc that i decided its not worth it, i don't do alot of miles, and after this horrible weather, i plan to cycle to work, although im not sure if this will happen, ( lazy ) lol.

Thought now i would just bite the bullet with fuel costs and stuff, and skip a couple of nights out with the lads every now and again, so started looking at something fun again, and the WRX has popped up, i can afford to buy it, and insure it ( although not at a good price! ) and i can put the petrol in every week, i have lived with 20-25 mpg cars for the last 3 years, but what i dont want is a big problem down the line, with a big bill of £500-1000 around the corner ( not including servicing ) because basically, im trying to save money, for the future.

Seen a WRX i like the look off, 61k,1 owner, fsh 11 stamps, cambelt done, mot tax etc, how likely is it to not give me any problems for a year or so, i have done alot of reading, and read they are reliable, but just after some feedback from some owners on here, and basically am i being stupid trying to live with an WRX on a budget, another car i quite like is the civic type r ( ep3) its also ment to be quite reliable, i know this is an impreza forum, but thought i would mention that incase anyone has owned one.

Thanks if you have taken the time to read this, i know its long, and i appreciate it.
Old 11 December 2012, 08:30 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The right criteria appear to be in place with the limited info you have given & sounds like a good clean motor & not heavily modded. I run a 2005 WRX PPP & have had no real issues with it in 12 months of ownership.

No one can fully guarantee that you won't have any issues down the line but the chances are vastly reduced if you are careful with your purchase.

I don't think you are stupid trying to follow a budget however if you go down the modding route beware if it gets in your blood as budgets go through the window!

I love my car & still in the honeymoon period!

Hope this helps Matt. Good luck mate!
Old 11 December 2012, 08:46 PM
wrcturboscooby
Scooby Newbie

I bought my 2005 WRX new in March 2005, 7 and half years later, 91,000 miles on the clock... Running costs are high, there is no avoiding that, petrol, Insurance, tyres, brakes, servicing, all add up but all well worth it for the smile it puts on my face. Nothing out of the ordinary has gone wrong, suspension was the main thing but that was probably down to driving style and track days.
One cost saving is mods, some modified parts are cheaper than standard equipment, and there are many modified/upgrade parts out there for Impreza's. For example when my suspension was clunking I fitted coil over suspension, a great upgrade and cheaper than a new set of standard Subaru shocks.
Get it done, life's too short...
Old 11 December 2012, 08:47 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Well I've had my wrx wagon for about 3 years now and in that time I've only replaced, battery and lambda sensor but that's probably due to remap etc.
But spent on modding instead (340hp)and routine service stuff like tyres and brakes, oil changes etc.
So I would say they are reliable if it's a clean genuine motor.
Old 11 December 2012, 08:48 PM
matt_uk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Tony Harrington
The right criteria appear to be in place with the limited info you have given & sounds like a good clean motor & not heavily modded. I run a 2005 WRX PPP & have had no real issues with it in 12 months of ownership.

No one can fully guarantee that you won't have any issues down the line but the chances are vastly reduced if you are careful with your purchase.

I don't think you are stupid trying to follow a budget however if you go down the modding route beware if it gets in your blood as budgets go through the window!

I love my car & still in the honeymoon period!

Hope this helps Matt. Good luck mate!
Hi, yea sorry have been a bit vague about the car, have spoke to the seller via email, and he seems genuine, mature owner, who from his email appears to be a doctor, only selling because he has bought a 911, only mod to the car is a prodrive backbox, other than that its completly standard.

I know i will get the modding bug, and would try to keep the car standard for a little while, just so when i did mod, it would feel like a new car, would only go for the decat, filter and remap, which from reading on here should give around 270bhp, which will be hopefully be plenty for me.

Nice to hear you have had no issues, and i know every car is different and noone can guarentee, but from reading the forum, its nice to see there is no common big cost issues, such as those on a diesel!

Last edited by matt_uk; 11 December 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11 December 2012, 09:03 PM
djr
Scooby Regular

Ive got a 03 wrx ppp had it just over a year fsh cambelt done by subaru dlr only done 53 k has been 100% reliable change the oil and Filter every 5 k use v Power you wont go far wrong
Old 11 December 2012, 09:11 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

i swapped my ep3 facelift type r for my 1st impreza wrx (04 plate) do i regret it.................hell no

i got a right bargain with my wrx as its has over 10k worth of paperwork from a top tuner,it has had a brand new from a crate sti engine and its running porsche 6 pot brakes

make sure you test drive a few and make sure it has either a **** load of paperwork and receipts OR a full service history,keep £500 in the bank just incase summat crops up,never thrash from cold and always use genuine filters and good oil

i am finding my 1st impreza to be just as reliable as my honda was....................................but alot more fun dont get me wrong the ep3 is a cracking car but you have to ring its neck to get the most out of it

good luck mate and welcome to scoobynet
Old 11 December 2012, 09:33 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had my last 05 blob wrx for over 4 year, it was 320bhp and 52k, never had a problem with it, but it was wrote off

just got a new 05 blob wrx, 100k but fsh and from a rich family, so no expense spared. i couldn't turn it down at the price i paid

go for it, you only live once
Old 11 December 2012, 09:35 PM
matt_uk
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the all the information, have gotta say, they are starting to warm to the idea, will try to get down to look at the one i mentioned later on in the week, but being carless its a pain !
Old 11 December 2012, 09:40 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2005 WRX PPP and have enjoyed every minute of it. One retired owner from new, all the services done in time all old MOT's and cambelt changed.

It likes a drink, but then when it goes as fast as it does and drives 4 wheels instead of 2 its going to. Nothing untoward has happened, it's been bullet proof so far. As another post said, don't thrash it from cold use good oil and it should be fine. Driving normally in traffic and putting your foot down when traffic allows you should get 25-28 mpg.

I went from a BMW 325ci to the impreza and don't regret it one bit
Old 11 December 2012, 10:08 PM
matt_uk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco 46
I have a 2005 WRX PPP and have enjoyed every minute of it. One retired owner from new, all the services done in time all old MOT's and cambelt changed.

It likes a drink, but then when it goes as fast as it does and drives 4 wheels instead of 2 its going to. Nothing untoward has happened, it's been bullet proof so far. As another post said, don't thrash it from cold use good oil and it should be fine. Driving normally in traffic and putting your foot down when traffic allows you should get 25-28 mpg.

I went from a BMW 325ci to the impreza and don't regret it one bit
Nice to know a fellow ex bmw made the change and hasn't regretted it!

I had a 330ci myself, i know as standard there wont be much in it regarding speed, but i felt the bmw was just boring, nice to drive around in and look flash, but that didnt bring me any joy, time to buy a car for me lol.
Old 12 December 2012, 09:51 AM
Colinm101
Scooby Regular

I went from Impreza turbo to BMW 330 Coupe then back to a Newage WRX (now have newage STI) and I've never looked back

As said above, but a good one, treat it right and you'll not regret it