Sponsored by:

needing some help on engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2012, 06:19 PM
Paul Scoob
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needing some help on engine mods

hi ive just bought a 1993 classic shape scooby i had it 2 days and the big ends went now it drives but wont idle atol any ideas and what would be best rebuild the bottom end or buy a engine and what would i need to do to rebuild it i was doin donuts on the spot in first gear i was told the oil has emptyd out was side or the engine duno if thats true or people just guessn
Old 09 December 2012, 06:25 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by Paul Scoob
hi ive just bought a 1993 classic shape scooby i had it 2 days and the big ends went now it drives but wont idle atol any ideas and what would be best rebuild the bottom end or buy a engine and what would i need to do to rebuild it i was doin donuts on the spot in first gear i was told the oil has emptyd out was side or the engine duno if thats true or people just guessn
Paul, I'd stop doing that right away if I were you!

If you have a mind to keep doing that sort of thing you need to build a good strong forged motor with a baffled sump for a start. Only buy used if you are certain it's good, or at least be able to get your money back if it isn't. If it's cheap it's crap, period.
If you'd like a new one, you're welcome to PM me, we can supply short or full engines.
Old 09 December 2012, 06:27 PM
funkmasterjay
Scooby Regular

Good evening, Paul.

First of all welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about our woes.

By the sound of our post, you seem rather young and have limited 'netiquette' (or Internet courtesy). That will get people's backs up as this is a free resource and needs to be respected. Secondly, someone one day might have the same problem as you, but the search function may not work properly because of grammar.

Now that the important boring stuff is out of the way here is what you might want to consider.

1. Get a family or trusted mechanic to have a look and possibly listen to give you a proper diagnosis. Also find out what can be salvaged etc.

2. You will more than likely have to replace the engine as it will be cheaper than repairing the original one.

3. If and when you do get a new engine, fully service it and change the timing belt, tensioner and possibly water pump.

Drive carefully.

J
Old 09 December 2012, 07:11 PM
Paul Scoob
Scooby Newbie

Ok thank you how much does a new engine come in at and the car has just had a new timing belt, tensioner, water pump, oil pump and fuel pump fitted would i still need to get they bits for a new engine or just take them off the old engine.

One other thing a new radiator has just been fitted but when the car heats up there is foam coming out from the coolant bottle i think somebody has filled it with screan wash i was goin to drain the system because before the big ends started rattling the car over heated a dont no if the radiator is broke or just needs emptyed and refilled
Old 09 December 2012, 07:15 PM
funkmasterjay
Scooby Regular

I strongly recommend you get a professional to install a new engine for you. I will leave the belts etc to your conscience - or that of the fitter.

I personally trust Matty @Pole Position. He is one of the authorised breakers on here.

J
Old 09 December 2012, 07:23 PM
Paul Scoob
Scooby Newbie

Ok thanks how much does a engine come in at i have been looking on gumtree and ebay there are engines for sale for 300-700 what price range should i be looking to get a decent engine
Old 10 December 2012, 12:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Paul, I'd stop doing that right away if I were you!

If you have a mind to keep doing that sort of thing you need to build a good strong forged motor with a baffled sump for a start. Only buy used if you are certain it's good, or at least be able to get your money back if it isn't. If it's cheap it's crap, period.
If you'd like a new one, you're welcome to PM me, we can supply short or full engines.
Wise words here from a man who makes his living at this.

It would seem you have either not read them, or are already ignoring them?

Trending Topics

Old 10 December 2012, 05:41 PM
Paul Scoob
Scooby Newbie

Its ok thanks for your help i got a 2006 sti for 700 car was wrote off engine only has 18k on it goin to fit my turbo and other bits to it.
Old 10 December 2012, 05:54 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Scoob
Its ok thanks for your help i got a 2006 sti for 700 car was wrote off engine only has 18k on it goin to fit my turbo and other bits to it.
You bought a 2006 STI for £700, and then did donut's until the 18k engine blew up?