Sponsored by:

engine refitting help :(

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2012, 05:08 PM
mucka
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine refitting help :(

Come to put my ej20 engine back in, but i split from gearbox and gbox is all boltwd up in the bay, but im having problems to refit as getting the long bolts through gbox also trying to block on.mounts, everthimg seems solid .

any hints, stuck (
Old 06 December 2012, 05:39 PM
craigybaby
Scooby Regular

try jacking your gearbox up a bit so its tilting up if that makes sense might make it easier for the mounts to go in
Old 06 December 2012, 06:06 PM
curbendurben
Scooby Newbie

As above but jack it up a lot ( also helps if you remove the bar from bulkhead to gearbox helps your gearbox move more freely when jacking up ) , I refitted mine a couple of weeks ago, drop the engine in slowly making sure you dont catch anything on the way in , line up the gearbox spline with your clutch , slowly push it back making sure you are clearing your engine mounts by about half inch or so , get the bottom bolt in place and push the engine back a bit more, by this stage you should be about an inch from the gearbox , this is the tricky bit you need to make sure your trust bearing is I'n the right position so you can drop the clutch fork in , once this is done you are on the home straight, all you need to do now is slowly push the engine back as much as you can ( I found there was about a 10mm gap at top where the top bolts go , I put mine in and slowly tighten them up until the engine and gearbox had mated , once this is done slowly very slowly start to lower the gearbox on the jack, you will find that the engine mount bolts are abit out of alignment but as you lower the more it comes down at a slight angle and you just need to wiggle it until the bolts drop into the mounts, then your done , tighten everything up replace the bar from bulkhead to gearbox, does help if you have two of you,
Hope this helps

Last edited by curbendurben; 06 December 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06 December 2012, 06:08 PM
Shaggy1991
Scooby Regular

Or try loosening the gearbox slightly so there is a bit more play, then jacking it all up together when its all fitted.
Old 06 December 2012, 07:19 PM
mucka
Scooby Regular

All sorted guys, thanks, i jacked the box up, struggled like hell, could get no one to help, never any of mates around when hard works involved ha

thanks for the input )