Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blobeye or Hawkeye WRX - that is the question ???

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2012, 02:10 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blobeye or Hawkeye WRX - that is the question ???

Seeing that no one replied to my other thread (Buying guide for a Hawkeye) I thought I'd ask the question another way.

Will have around £6k to spend (may stretch to a bit more) for a decent WRX, like the look of the Hawkeye but not completely against the Blobeye model (although my preference is still Hawkeye)

What would you buy and why?

Why buy a Blobeye instead of a Hawkeye and vice versa?

Thanks for your help
Old 06 December 2012, 02:55 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same budget and opted for a blobeye wrx ppp.

Managed to get a 2005 one owner from new model with 37.5k and FSH.

Why blobeye?

Cheaper tax (£260 per yr instead of circa £410)
2.5 engine on hawk eye has a habit of going boom/having h/gasket issues
2.0 on wrx is a proven reliable unit - been around for years
Better fuel economy on blobeye
Blobeye is actually faster 0-60 I think too (4.8 secs) + 0-100 (14 secs)

I got my Subaru blobeye, saved £1k on comparable hawk eye which bought me a second hand runaround/workhorse

It's upto you really. Good luck whatever you get

Last edited by Donnie Brasco 46; 06 December 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06 December 2012, 03:02 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply - very valid your comments.

I see that Steve71 has a very nice Blobeye WRX for sale within this price range.

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...-for-sale.html
Old 06 December 2012, 03:20 PM
Scooby Wagon Addict!
Scooby Regular

I'll bite

I've had 4 Blobeye WRXs and now on a Hawkeye WRX ( all wagons)
Not a great difference physically.
I'm sorry I dont really know a significant technical differences like diffs etc. but have lived with both .

For Blobeyes: 2.0litre engine more stronger than the 2.5 for tuning . Lower RFL £260 a year
Against Bobeyes: I personally say they feel heavier than the Hawkeye . Older dash. ( tho it does depend what year of Blobeye .

For Hawkeye: In my experience I think the 2.5litre is great. Much better torque , pulls earlier. Lighter clutch/ lighter on the left leg ... therefore easier in traffic. Excellent HID lights. Fresher interior .

Against Hawkeye: THAT £455 a year RFL And as been mentioned before the 2.5 needs to be looked after that bit more ie oil levels and servicing done on time. It is the same engine as the hatch that did have/does have the reference to the "chocolate pistons".
It doesn't bother me as I dont plan to tune mine and not abuse it.
Ironically it was the engine in my previous totally standard 2005 2.0l WRX that went!.. 2 days after I bought from a dealer.. thankfully covered by warranty!

Fuel economy is nearly the same , average 25-28mpg

Over the past few years I have driven Hawkeye WRXs and an STi , so when it came to me buying my current car , coming from an Outback 3.0 , I knew I didn't want another Blobeye.. the engine feels so much easier/car feels lighter . I just love it

Ive prob missed out some stuff but I hope that helps a bit.

Steve
Old 06 December 2012, 03:45 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve.

I live in France and will probably re-register it over here once bought. Over here we pay one time for a V5 (Carte Grise) and the cost is based upon the stated BHP (or "Fiscal puissance" to be precise measure in KW). It will also be based upon the "standard" power of the car (i.e. non-modified) so no yearly "tax" costs involved.

I'm not going to mention the dirt cheap insurance, empty roads, lack of police and cameras and the fact that I live 30 mins from the Le Mans circuit as that might annoy some people

I do prefer the "look" of the Hawkeye but haven't driven either - my first and last scooby was a 1999 STi with 24k miles on it - bought for a steal, used for a holiday and sold for a significant profit to a chap in Paris. Loved driving it and with a Scooby sport exhaust loved the noise, I'm hoping that whatever WRX I buy will bring back those sensations whilst remaining "economical" enough for me to justify it's use as a "company car" (Estate Agent - before you ask).

Any other points of view would be most welcome - thanks.
Old 06 December 2012, 03:57 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Wagon Addict!
Fuel economy is nearly the same , average 25-28mpg
To the OP: FWIW, since you live in France, in my '05 Blob WRX PPP wagon, I got 34 mpg driving from Saas Grund over the Col de la Forclaz (giving it some) and then from Chamonix to Calais via Autoroutes, fully loaded with climbing and camping gear.
Old 06 December 2012, 04:07 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Thanks abc - mpg over here are extremely different to the UK, mainly as there's much less time sitting in traffic and much more time clocking up the miles. I don't have the figures but even my STi was "economical" compared to UK stats.

The downside is that service intervals tend to come up well before the annual time-frames do. Depending on how much I use the WRX then 2 services per year is more than possible and that's with having at least one other car available at the same time

Q: Is the recommended petrol still 98 on both Blobeye and Hawkeye models or can I run on "normal" 95 or is this a real no-no ?
Old 06 December 2012, 04:07 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Thanks abc - mpg over here are extremely different to the UK, mainly as there's much less time sitting in traffic and much more time clocking up the miles. I don't have the figures but even my STi was "economical" compared to UK stats.

The downside is that service intervals tend to come up well before the annual time-frames do. Depending on how much I use the WRX then 2 services per year is more than possible and that's with having at least one other car available at the same time

Q: Is the recommended petrol still 98 on both Blobeye and Hawkeye models or can I run on "normal" 95 or is this a real no-no ?
Old 06 December 2012, 04:35 PM
Scooby Wagon Addict!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LVC
It's a big no-no
Old 06 December 2012, 04:44 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Just to touch on the 'sensations' part of it, the blob will make a much nicer burble, simply by putting a better exhaust on (prodrive, hayward and scott etc..), whereas it takes more effort to get the same noise from a hawk. My 2004 blob WRX sounded awesome with just a prodrive back box. I then had a 2006 STi, and it took a decat and vortex back box to get it sounding anything like the blob. Also, worth mentioning that while the hawk has a nice smooth power delivery and in real world driving is probably the quicker day to day car, I did miss the punch at 3500rpm that the 2.0 gave.

Drive both and see what you think. I have just sold my Hawk and am looking for a clean classic or a good blob sti, so if it were me, a 2005 blob would be my choice.

Last edited by Luckyscoob; 06 December 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06 December 2012, 05:04 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say let fate take care of it and go for the nicest one that pops up in your price range.

The WRX 2.5 doesn't suffer so much from the HG issue, it's the STI with more power that has the problems.

If your doing a lot of motorway miles i'd say the Hawk is probably the better choice, i think they have longer gears and the larger displacement means it will be doing less revs, and they are nice.

I went for a Blob WRX Wagon PPP, mostly because it was the colour i wanted, had AP 4pots and the price was right, i wasn't so concerned about the PPP but i'm glad now that i have it because it's nice safe extra power.

Bustamoves on here has a very nice one with some nice mods and is planning on selling, i'd send him a pm if i were you.
Old 06 December 2012, 05:06 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Duly noted for SP95 Scooby Wagon Addict! - thanks.

Really interesting reading your points of view and certainly it seems to leave me with a choice between the two - rather than ruling one or other out of the equation. Driving them both back to back does seem a logical evaluation - only problem I can see with that it organising it during my short trip back to the UK.

What are the things to look out for/avoid/check with these 2 models?
Old 06 December 2012, 05:09 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Bustamoves on here has a very nice one with some nice mods and is planning on selling, i'd send him a pm if i were you.
Is that a blob or hawk he's selling?

I'm not in a hurry so am prepared to wait for the right one to come up.
Old 06 December 2012, 05:29 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

It's a hawk, you could do a lot worse, it's a very tidy car.
Old 06 December 2012, 05:32 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Thank you - PM on it's way
Old 06 December 2012, 05:33 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

This is it.
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-how-much.html
Old 06 December 2012, 05:40 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

It says "wagon" - is that estate or saloon ?

This one looks interesting:
Linkie/Clickie

Last edited by LVC; 06 December 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07 December 2012, 11:34 AM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LVC
What are the things to look out for/avoid/check with these 2 models?
Sruts go on MY05s and the Subaru replacements do too, so sooner or later you'll need to replace them all... Choices, choices! Don't know about Hawkeyes.
Old 07 December 2012, 11:54 AM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Ta muchly abc.

Been looking at the prices in France for the WRX as the plan is to keep for a few years then sell on. You wouldn't believe the prices over here, for example: 2007 WRX in Blue, 70,500km (around 50k miles), no mods ..... 14,000€ (around £12k).

You can take off around 30% for a RHD version so I'm looking at a buy in at £6 and resell around the same price (minimum) in 3 years time. The theory is I'll be paying for running costs (petrol and insurance) and servicing but no depreciation in car value.

I bought my STi 1999 for £5k and resold after 3 months for 10k€ (around £9k at the time..2010) - maybe I should look at importing a few, lol

What this has shown me is that the Hawkeye are rarer over here and seem to hold higher prices proportionately (taking into account they're newer models) - so looks like it may be a Hawkeye choice for me after all.
Old 07 December 2012, 02:49 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Decision made in the first post for me, you prefer the look of the Hawk, get the Hawk.

While people say the interior looks better in the Hawk, I agree that the late dash is an improvement, but the seats don't look as nice as the black Blob ones if you ask me.
Old 07 December 2012, 02:59 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Might end up with STi leather seats whatever I get

But yes I prefer the rear end of the blobeye but the adore the front of the Hawkeye and from what peeps have said I think the 2.5 will work for what I'm after. Noise-wise my 1999 STi was very loud (full ScoobySport with De-cat) and although great when you're by yourself, less impressive with clients in the back whilst trying to sell them houses.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for a nice clean non-modded (or minimal mods) Hawkeye WRX over the next few months and see what I can find. Quite like the urban grey but being a 2007 model it'll probably be more expensive, failing that the "silver" with black wheels would contrast nicely against the current fleet (all my other cars are black with silver highlights) - we'll see

What should I look for when buying a Hawkeye WRX please ?????
Old 07 December 2012, 04:06 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LVC
...with clients in the back whilst trying to sell them houses.
How about a Hawkeye Spec D (for discreet: no spoiler, leather interior)?
Old 07 December 2012, 04:13 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Price being the main reason and I'm trying to avoid the running costs of an STi hence opting for the WRX. Discreet is not really my style and already been looking at carbon STi style rear spoilers to replace the boot one on a WRX.

Thanks anyway for the idea - you never know if a cheapie STI comes up I might be tempted again.