ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Best Scooby for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2012, 09:19 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Best Scooby for daily driver?

Ease of drivability so low torque? Modicum of practicality, so maybe a wagon? 2.5l....? I don't want to answer the question myself but what do you guys think?
Cheers
Old 21 November 2012, 09:52 AM
Scoobyfan2012
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends what your looking for, is mpg an issue, do you need the space a wagon offers...

Torque shouldn't come into it, I drive a blobeye sti prodrive and its no harder to drive than my previous car which was a 1.6 civic.

That's the beauty of imprezas in general they have almost supercar performance but still can be used as daily cars. The best of both!
Old 21 November 2012, 09:52 AM
chet123
Scooby Regular

experienced man like yourself should be able to answer that.. I know you know your subarus but no harm asking the rest I suppose.
Old 21 November 2012, 10:09 AM
paulob1
Scooby Regular

I was looking into this too...so this is how I went..

legacy gtb estate car for hauling bits in winter. (ended up with two of the things, one is going for sale soon)
impreza wrx for my boys when they break their cars...quick enough but not silly quick for winter. Yes got two of them as well...but they broke one of them...being fixed soon.
impreza wrx sti 2008 for me as my daily driver in winter.. havent collected it yet but in process....

I was thinking of building a mega silly power wrx but am not going to now, am looking for one already done...want a 500 bhp monster car...prefereably wagon as I really dislike the saloons and preferably a classic or a hawkeye...am looking...
Old 21 November 2012, 10:20 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Best all round, all year, off the shelf car to tick pretty much every box .... for me that would be a 2006 forester sti.

To tick every box from hauling stuff, to b road blasting and track days, would be a single turbo converted and extensively fettled bg5 (or earlyer, just before the multilink rear end) legacy gtb..... mines ace! :-)
Old 21 November 2012, 12:22 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I asked myself the same question about a year ago, which is how i wound up with my Blob wagon with ppp and ap 4pots, light handling mods.

As a daily it's hard to beat, not too pricey @ circa £3/4k these days, no major mods so insurance is ok, plenty fast enough when i'm in the mood for a blast and average around 30mpg which is acceptable for the miles i do in it, and it's in the lower tax bracket.
Old 21 November 2012, 01:51 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Hey ditch, how you doin? Remember our thread from last year trying to decide on a daily and I went Fabia VRS... well, I sold the STi wagon and bought a Skoda dear oh dear

I'm coming back to a Scooby I think

Last edited by bonesetter; 21 November 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 21 November 2012, 03:33 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Forester STi ticks the boxes you mention bonesetter
Old 21 November 2012, 03:38 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I've never considered a Forester. They've always struck me as, well to be frank, heavy lumps. What re they like to drive?
Old 21 November 2012, 03:49 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

50 or so kg heavier than an Impreza, so not really much between the two.
They look better (according to my taste anyway), are more practical and not many people know what they are.

Check this

Last edited by fpan; 21 November 2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 21 November 2012, 04:04 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Wowaa, they aren't cheap are they

Similar sort of mpg to the Impreza? (~23?)
Old 21 November 2012, 04:07 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Being rare they hold their value better than an Impreza it seems.

Bad on cold starts (as all Subarus I guess), 19-21mpg but 35mpg can be achieved on a long run if you drive like a lorry driver. They have a longer 6th gear than an Impreza so this helps.

26mpg average.

Last edited by fpan; 21 November 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 21 November 2012, 04:19 PM
Huntyuk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt buy a subaru and worry about MPG after ... i got mine because i love the look/sound/feel it gives ... down to personal preference if you have kids / dogs / kitchen sink then Forester/ hatch ... if not then Impreza ... im only 21 and sometimes running costs do get abit much havign to travel 20-30 miles a day but i wouldnt trade it for anything else hearing that noise when i put my foot down
Old 21 November 2012, 06:24 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Hey ditch, how you doin? Remember our thread from last year trying to decide on a daily and I went Fabia VRS... well, I sold the STi wagon and bought a Skoda dear oh dear

I'm coming back to a Scooby I think
Bloody hell, just read the thread in the link and it sounds like a nightmare.

I've not done anything about another car just been way too busy, my mrs is over in india for a year so i stuck some winter tyres on her rover 25 and brought it over to croatia to try and make my day to day driving cheaper, which seems to be working at the minute, getting around 300miles to a tank which costs about £35 to fill so much better than my isuzu 3.1d that does 300 miles for around £60.

My wagon has only done about 1500 miles in a year because i've just not been in the uk, and i'm half thinking of selling it and just doing a rebuild on the type r seeing as i have all the bits just sat doing nothing, but again time is the biggest factor, i'm full chat trying to finish one apartment before the new tourist season starts here, so cars are way down on my list right now.

I still think you'll fare better with a wagon, i've had a forester and my brother in law had a legacy and they are just not in the same league as an impreza as far as a drivers car is concerned.
Old 21 November 2012, 07:05 PM
oldman-wrx
Scooby Regular

maybe think of the GB270 Sport Wagon always thought these were nice, lowered suspension, a ‘quickshift’ gearchange and Subaru’s Prodrive Performance Pack and 266 bhp out of the box

oh and a little bit of exclusivity not bad for a daily drive, the 2.5 engine really does the job. plenty of pull for stop start town driving and cruises fine at speed but still retains the fun element when you want to bring it on tap

Last edited by oldman-wrx; 21 November 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 21 November 2012, 07:54 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

My05 Blob jdm sti does me for a daily, love it to bits. Don't think I will be changing it for a while
Old 21 November 2012, 08:09 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz1968
My05 Blob jdm sti does me for a daily, love it to bits. Don't think I will be changing it for a while
I don't know, but a JDM Sti as a daily is slightly cruel

I owned a 370/360 one. What a bloody car. The chap I sold it to uses as a daily and a family. Fair play. I need dog & bike in there. My collie hates the Type R, even the Miltec in house sound, can't say I blame her

I think the blob wagon idea sits best of all. I'm back into a scooby wagon. That god forsaken Fabia VRS will be gone and I'll be back in pocket*

* 13K/yr diesel/V-Power comparison
Old 22 November 2012, 12:25 AM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my hawk wrx running 355bhp 410lbft as my daily driver for the past 4yrs,
Get around200- 250 to a tank in town and 330on very long motorway drives.

Im going for more power now as i dont think its fast enough lol
Old 22 November 2012, 01:40 PM
Leebo310
Scooby Regular

I've had my 2006 hawkeye for almost 3 months now and having covered over 3000 miles in that time, I've loved every second!
As a daily driver I can't recommend it highly enough!
Mine does unfortunately fall into the higher tax bracket by literally a matter of days but I knew that when I bought it so can live with the extra cost!

MPG isn’t as bad as you’d think and definitely not worth putting you off. You’re not going to get 50mpg obviously and if you expect that then look somewhere else! I’ve averaged about 28 which I’m more than happy with.
I think it’s pretty much the perfect car. Practicality wise it’s reliable, has 4 doors and a big boot, liveable mpg and the reassurance of AWD for the impeding crappy weather that will hit the UK very soon! Coupled with that you then have blistering performance whenever the mood takes you and the knowledge that you’re faster than most other cars on the roads! It’s a great combination that hardly any other cars offer, and then add in the fact that they are pretty cheap now makes them perfect to me!

Only downside is I honestly wasn’t prepared for the amount of hate you get from other drivers! It’s awful! Never getting let out at junctions and having some idiot constantly latched a matter of inches from my rear bumper no matter where I’m driving really annoys after a while!
On the plus side the waves and acknowledgments from other Scooby drivers makes up for the lack of love from the rest of the public