I'm New - Cold weather care

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2012, 09:40 AM
Theriches09
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm New - Cold weather care

Hello All

I am about to buy a 2003 wrx Estate, I live out in France in the Alps and was just looking for some info into how the cold weather/snow will effect the car.

Do I need specific wax to stop the car rusting from snow off the road, special fluids etc. My car last year, A 2005 diesel Mondeo tdci estate coped well in the cold but the battery did die and Diesel froze once, we had a lot of snow and -20 in the village. That was the coldest it has been in years.

I dont have a garage, So is this a bad idea, I want the 4wd system for the snow, ice, mountain roads and also a fun car for summer on the mtn roads, also steep drive way.

Any feedback from experience much appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited by Theriches09; 16 November 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 16 November 2012, 01:39 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Richard

May I recommend one of these?

http://www.starzmannsnotary.com/Snowmobile.jpg

Joking aside, not many people on here would be able to answer your question better than you can in all honesty.
Old 16 November 2012, 01:42 PM
Theriches09
Scooby Newbie

HA, I have considered one of them , but not great on the roads. I was just wondering what under car protection can be used to stop the salt damaging the car, prevent rust. Any engine oils better for sold etc.

And how do Scoobies run in the cold??
Old 16 November 2012, 06:11 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Using the correct oil for that sort of weather is a obvious must. Most of us in the UK will not see cold as low as -20 but at the peak of winter I know my Scooby was a god send against all the other cars slipping around like fish out of water. I live near a lot of hills and I was amazed at the traction. Good tyres, well serviced and you'll be fine! Bonjour Rodney!
Old 16 November 2012, 06:20 PM
Theriches09
Scooby Newbie

Ok Cheers, any recommendation on which oil would be better for lower temps then. Yea Verdstien extreme tires and I think i'm going to be good to go. Ill wax it once every few months and wash every week to get salt off. Dunno what else I can do.

How long would you leave it running before driving, I know they need warming up and cooling down to preserve them .

Cheers guys.
Old 16 November 2012, 07:22 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coolant change? make sure its got a decent mix of anti freeze. Be worth speaking to opie oils about what grade oil to use

Warm it up until water temp is normal then just drive normally as i guess you wont be thrashing it around!

Last edited by topshot; 16 November 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 16 November 2012, 07:30 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Just dont drive like a nutter when you fire it up and you'll be fine.
Old 16 November 2012, 07:35 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Try and keep fuel tank full too, at -20, when the fuel starts to return to the cold tank from the warm engine your gonna end up with condensation
Old 16 November 2012, 07:59 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Nice new quality oil in the engine.
Quality anti freeze up to the correct strength
Clean car and ap[ply a couple of coats of quality canuba wax, keep car clean throughout the winter, even if you have to wash in the rain. Dirt and grime hold moisture against the paint.. Fill tyres with nitrogen rather than air. Kwikfit do this cheap.
Make sure you have plenty of tred on the tyres.
Old 17 November 2012, 10:13 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the nitrogen quote chopperman but no need for it, 80% of what is already in there is nitrogen so it wouldn't really do much filling it with pure nitrogen unless you wanted 82% in there
Re undersealing is recommended if you are off road a lot and just try to keep the car clean, especially around the arches where the snow will collect.

Tony
Old 17 November 2012, 11:03 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I love the nitrogen quote chopperman but no need for it, 80% of what is already in there is nitrogen so it wouldn't really do much filling it with pure nitrogen unless you wanted 82% in there
Re undersealing is recommended if you are off road a lot and just try to keep the car clean, especially around the arches where the snow will collect.

Tony
The plus of having Nitrogen rather than air is the lack of moisture. On very cold mornings the moisture in the air freezes lowering the tyre pressure. Nitrogen is way more stable. Also prevents corrosion inside the rims. Yes normal air is 78% nitrogen but how is pure nitrogen only 82%. Surely pure means 100% ?
Old 17 November 2012, 01:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by chopperman
The plus of having Nitrogen rather than air is the lack of moisture. On very cold mornings the moisture in the air freezes lowering the tyre pressure. Nitrogen is way more stable. Also prevents corrosion inside the rims. Yes normal air is 78% nitrogen but how is pure nitrogen only 82%. Surely pure means 100% ?
Thats the thing, you have to make it a vacuum for it to be fully 100%, its just a tyre shop gimick really, you would never get anywhere near 100% "nitrogen" in those wheels the way they do it, motorsport on the other hand is different as they do not displace the air with more nitrogen but do it properly.
Best sticking to air and save yourself some cash

Tony