Sponsored by:

Advice requested re:settle bump for cash

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2001, 11:09 PM
Maf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My Scoob was in for service the other day and when I returned I was told that another customer had driven into it!

The damage was not too bad, rear bumper respray required, and obviously there were plenty of witness.

The other driver, being young, wants to settle outside of insurance. I agreed and he said he would pay cash on the estimate.

Now he says the money isn't available for couple of weeks and his mum wants to pay the bodyshop direct after the job is done.

I'm starting to get a little concerned with it all. Anyone have any hints & tips/advice for this situation?

Thanks
Maf
Old 18 April 2001, 11:12 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

nah! Tell them straight - money up front or your putting a claim thro' your insurance.....presumably you have all the details and witnesses etc...
I agree with you - sounds dodgy & if your not careful you could end up being out of pocket...............
Good luck,

Gastro
Old 18 April 2001, 11:15 PM
Luke
BANNED

Get on top of the situation fast.....

[This message has been edited by Luke (edited 18 April 2001).]
Old 19 April 2001, 08:51 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

You deserve to have your car back in the same condition you left it with the garage.

My wife had a 'bump' 2 months ago - the back bumper seemd a bit misaligned but we didn't think it was too bad, so we took it to the local (famous) dent repair place. We hoped it would be able to be done or £100 or so, and get the other driver to pay us cash. Estimate - £600(!) - was predominantly just for refinishing it all - filling the bumper, respray etc. They said they couldn't do anything about the dents in the end of the SS back box.

So,we went to insurance co. and an engineer came out. "You need a new collapsible bracket thingy, a new back bumper (I could take two days filling and re-finishing it, but it still wouldn't be right) and a new SS back box" Estimate approx £1500+!

All fixed now, good as new, lifetime warranty etc etc. We had to pay our excess of £350 to get it back from the repairers but we will be getting it back from the other insurer - they have already admitted it was their drivers fault, so it won't (I hope ) affect our NCD, which was protected anyway.

My advice - get a proper bodyshop to look at it first, get a proper estimate for putting it back to original condition and then consider what to do

Old 19 April 2001, 12:24 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I'd get on to the dealers, the car was in their care when the accident happened. There's no reason why you should be either out of pocket, or inconvenienced in any way sorting out the repair. If his mum is paying, fine, this should be between the guy who bumped you and the dealer, and of no concern to you. Good luck!

Gary.
Old 19 April 2001, 11:32 PM
Maf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help guys.

The dealer was really helpful. they had a full estimate waiting for me from their bodyshop when I picked the car up. Its not too bad, but more than you'd think for a little scratch. However, the dealer did say that at the end of the day it was between me & the other driver, or our respective insurance companies, though they would help out all they could.

I'm still not 100% sure what I am going to do.

Maf
Old 20 April 2001, 02:16 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Erm surely if the car is left at the dealers and is damaged in there care its up to them to sort out between there insurers and the person who was driving the other car ?

From the example they've quoted you, what happens if one of the mechanics damgaes it whilst in for a service, you have to get your insurance company for that as well ?
Or on the test drive after the service ?

Whenever we had any customers cars damaged we always covered it be paying cash (to save claiming) or by claiming against garage insurance in the one or two instances they were beyond economical repair.
(like the sapphire cos one of the mechanics was so excited about he hit the H pole ramp at a silly speed clattered front bumper, side skirts, exhaust.
We claimed on the garages policy for that.
Old 20 April 2001, 06:41 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by GCollier:
<B>I'd get on to the dealers, the car was in their care when the accident happened. There's no reason why you should be either out of pocket, or inconvenienced in any way sorting out the repair. If his mum is paying, fine, this should be between the guy who bumped you and the dealer, and of no concern to you. Good luck!

Gary.[/quote]

Spot on...

The words are 'custody and control'. The car was in the dealers custody and control and it's upto them to sort out. If the other guy drove into you while you still had the keys it's between the two of you. But once the dealer takes the car it's down to them.

David

[This message has been edited by Shark (edited 20 April 2001).]