New member - buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2012, 08:37 PM
jcooper776
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member - buying advice

Hi all

New to the forum, currently looking at buying my first Scoob. Have always wanted one ever since I was a teenager and am now in a position to be able to run one.

I have a budget of around £6k max and am looking for either a blobeye or bugeye sti - but would prefer blobeye.

I have owned other performance cars in the past, but not having owned one of these before does anyone have any advice or tips on buying? What to look for and what to avoid? (I did do a search for a buying guide but could not find one).

I understand it's a buyers market at the moment so I intend to take full advantage!
Old 10 October 2012, 08:39 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Take your time. Just be careful of shoddy repairs/paintwork. Also buy one with FSH (UK car).

Other then that great reliable cars.

Good luck
Old 10 October 2012, 08:43 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by KAS35RSTI
Take your time. Just be careful of shoddy repairs/paintwork. Also buy one with FSH (UK car).

Other then that great reliable cars.

Good luck
+1

i was so scared of owning a impreza but i have no regrets at all,buy it on condition/history and how it drives dont be put off by the mileage,my 04 blobeye wrx is nearly on 95k but its mint and starts/drives faultless

history and receipts for mods/mapping is a must dont buy one thats being claimed to have 370bhp unless its got the proper mods and map to support this
Old 10 October 2012, 08:44 PM
jcooper776
Scooby Newbie

Great, thanks. Yeah definitely gonna go for a FSH UK car.

Another thing I wondered was actual mpg figures on a standard bug/blob sti. Parkers shows 23mpg but I imagine that is driving around like a saint.

What do you lot tend to get on average? Obviously depends how you drive- but just trying to get an idea of fuel cost boosting it some of the time but driving steady some of the time.
Old 10 October 2012, 08:46 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jcooper776
Great, thanks. Yeah definitely gonna go for a FSH UK car.

Another thing I wondered was actual mpg figures on a standard bug/blob sti. Parkers shows 23mpg but I imagine that is driving around like a saint.

What do you lot tend to get on average? Obviously depends how you drive- but just trying to get an idea of fuel cost boosting it some of the time but driving steady some of the time.
if we tell you this then you wont want to buy one
Old 10 October 2012, 08:48 PM
jcooper776
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by the shreksta
if we tell you this then you wont want to buy one

Hahaha. That bad then?

It won't put me off buying, just perhaps influence my driving style!
Old 10 October 2012, 08:49 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Hahaha. That bad then?

It won't put me off buying, just perhaps influence my driving style!
i wont sugar coat it mate......................its ****ing terrible but i dont care as its my dream car
Old 10 October 2012, 08:50 PM
jcooper776
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by the shreksta
i wont sugar coat it mate......................its ****ing terrible but i dont care as its my dream car
Yeah that would be my attitude.

What are we talking then on average? How many miles from a tank?
Old 10 October 2012, 08:53 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot depends on what your intention in terms of modding, bhp or leaving it standard.

I had a similar choice & budget however opted for a Blobeye WRX 2005 with the Prodrive performance pack fitted with low mileage & full service history.

If you are going for big gains power wise then STI would appear to be the obvious choice.

Be aware & check that any work carried out has actually been carried out for example don't be afraid to ring ppl up & double check what work was carried out.

Also there are those who are DIY'ers, enthusiasts & professionals when it comes to work done on the car so check thoroughly what has been done & by whom!

Be patient as it is easy to jump in at the deep end & end up getting burned financially.

Prices would appear to be dropping still as some ppl have sold some pretty decent cars for decent money so bargains can be had if you are patient.

Good luck mate hope you get what you want & enjoy the Scooby experience! Beware these cars are addictive mate.
Old 10 October 2012, 08:55 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're concerned about MPG then Subaru is not for you. With the towering fuel prices you hardly get up the road.
Old 10 October 2012, 09:13 PM
jcooper776
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by KAS35RSTI
If you're concerned about MPG then Subaru is not for you. With the towering fuel prices you hardly get up the road.
I'm not concerned - I just wondered as I'm interested to know the real life mpg figures
Old 10 October 2012, 09:15 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not concerned - I just wondered as I'm interested to know the real life mpg figures
I use my car daily so generally around 20 - 22 mpg for urban driving for motorway approx. 27 - 29mpg
Old 10 October 2012, 09:19 PM
gallardo4ever
Scooby Newbie

Make sure you run a PPI check before buying. Better spending some money than buying something that is a rubbish.
Old 11 October 2012, 09:26 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

I have had 370 miles from a tank on a long trip to Scotland in economy mode (70 all the way) Normally get around the 300 from a full tank. This is from a stock 2002 WRX UK Wagon
Old 11 October 2012, 09:39 AM
_Viktor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by d4vidh
I have had 370 miles from a tank on a long trip to Scotland in economy mode (70 all the way) Normally get around the 300 from a full tank. This is from a stock 2002 WRX UK Wagon
I would agree on this... I get almost exactly 300 miles +/-10 per 50ltr fill up.
So about 27MpG.
WRX bug wagon.
Old 11 October 2012, 09:57 AM
jcooper776
Scooby Newbie

That's better than I was expecting. I imagine an sti is a bit less if those are wrx figures. Perhaps 20mpg. But not bad at all.

Unsure whether to go for a wrx or an sti now- as someone said above, it depends on whether I am going to be modding it or keeping it standard, bhp etc as sti is the obvious choice for big power gains.

I do want the upgraded exterior and interior bits the sti comes with. I would look at standard cars and ones that already have a few mods. If buying a standard car- I would keep it standard to start with then perhaps opt for a few mods but nothing too excessive. 350bhp max.

So is it better to go for a wrx thats had the sti bits put on it to make it a replica or just go for the sti?

Last edited by jcooper776; 11 October 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11 October 2012, 10:00 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

A remap can often increase the mpg figure do to making it more efficient but this is offset by more power and a heavy right foot.
Old 11 October 2012, 01:33 PM
Black 1
Scooby Regular

Its a mine field to buy one fully modded or a basic one never been touched which are hard to find.If you can i would get the blobeye sti,got all the trimmings with it already.
Good look with your search and take your time.
Old 11 October 2012, 02:11 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My advise is buy from a reputable dealer or enthusiast, do not buy if the garage/owner looks dodgy.

Have a look at JPerformance near Coventry (advertise on Pistonheads), they have a great rep and have mostly newage editions in stock. Alternatively have a look on the for sale sections on here for some looked after examples

Paul
Old 11 October 2012, 02:14 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by averyp2
My advise is buy from a reputable dealer or enthusiast, do not buy if the garage/owner looks dodgy.

Have a look at JPerformance near Coventry (advertise on Pistonheads), they have a great rep and have mostly newage editions in stock. Alternatively have a look on the for sale sections on here for some looked after examples

Paul
http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c.../dealer/614235

Just had a look but they seem out of stock. Try calling them (Sam) and ask if they can find one for your budget
Old 11 October 2012, 05:04 PM
The Tog
Scooby Regular

I'd say go for the STi, you'll only regret it later if you don't...

As for economy, my Blobeye STi does 24-27mpg around town and about 31mpg on the long run. Of course that's being sensible-ish. Mainly off boost with a few blasts.
Old 11 October 2012, 05:30 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

as above fsh is a must avoid ones with bad/cheap modifications and no remap listen for rattle/knocking noises from engine and gearbox and smoke from exhaust make sure you test drive it and that it pulls nice and strong and drives straight and also that temperature guage sits right. just the usual really but the blob/bug eye engines are generally stronger anyway as they are semi closed deck so should find a good one pretty easily. hope this helps mate
Old 11 October 2012, 08:16 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

If it's a Bug, look hard for rust at the front underneath.

My 2005 model JDM STi Blob did 21.7mpg on a 115 mile journey with three people on board a week or so ago, and sadly I only used the 'umph' once, very briefly. I was quite pleased with that figure though.

Remember you'll be using V Power fuel too (£1.459 per litre round here at the moment) , not ordinary unleaded.
Old 11 October 2012, 08:25 PM
siannie
Scooby Regular

We had a lower budget which covered bug sti/wrx blob territory. Went for the bug and haven't regretted it!
It's had a few mods and remap before we bought it, and on decent runs we're looking at 25-27mpg.
Good luck in your search

Last edited by siannie; 11 October 2012 at 08:26 PM.