Sponsored by:

Hit up the backside

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2012, 09:26 AM
steverashi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit up the backside

Sat in traffic on my way to work and been hit from behind. No visible damage but the boot has been pushed in. Anyone have any ideas how much this will cost. The other drivers boss wants to pay for it rather than going through the insurance. Bit worried about doing this as its the family car and the garage he has suggested doesn't look great.

Any thoughts?
Old 03 October 2012, 09:35 AM
chloe123
Scooby Regular

Any pics..... Damage could be more eg boot floor etc i deal with this everyday take it to a couple of bodyshops and get quotes also this will give you an idea of what the exact damge is
Old 03 October 2012, 09:38 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Classic.Newage,Hatch????

If its a classic chances are the bumper support bar may have disintegrated. We picked up a cat c classic which only had a slight knock to the rear. Depends on the value of the car and if it has affected the back panel as well as the boot? I would go Insurance all the way.
Old 03 October 2012, 09:39 AM
steverashi
Scooby Regular

Boot floor has been pushed in inside the spare wheel well. Boot pings open when released and the bumper doesnt line up with the lights. Its a MY04 Blobeye WRX.
Old 03 October 2012, 09:43 AM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Put it this way,
If it were mine it would be insurance all the way, no way would I be going to some backstreet bodge shop just to save the other party a few quid on his insurance.

If he's hit you up the ****, he was too damn close, so stuff him, get your insurance on the phone and let them sort it out, that's why we all pay a damn fortune
Old 03 October 2012, 09:46 AM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

And if you go insurance than you can pick the place it goes too, your insurance company will try and send of to one of its own, but you! Have the legal right to choose where to repairs are carried out. Sometimes it the back street bodyshops that do a good Job. Larger Ones are all about profit and hitting bonus, the smaller ones (not always) but usually staffed by people that enjoy their work and would treat your car as thier own. Having worked for both sorts of company I wouldnt care what the place looked like as long as I could see examples of the repairs, get the bloke to talk you through the steps. Like its been said before usually the damage is greater than you think, rear impact my cause your door shuts to be closer, could be a ripple round the rear arch
Old 03 October 2012, 09:49 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve ex vauxhall
Put it this way,
If it were mine it would be insurance all the way, no way would I be going to some backstreet bodge shop just to save the other party a few quid on his insurance.

If he's hit you up the ****, he was too damn close, so stuff him, get your insurance on the phone and let them sort it out, that's why we all pay a damn fortune
What he said
Don't mind a private arrangement so long as it's up to scratch, but a back street tin basher with an aerosol can doesn't do it for me.
Old 03 October 2012, 10:20 AM
steverashi
Scooby Regular

Just found out that although the van is insured the driver is a sub contractor who isn't covered to drive the vehicle??? Going through insurance anyway as I have some comeback on any repairs and I need a courtesy car to get to work.

Not happy as I was supposed to be going to Prodrive this weekend. Doesnt look like thats going to happen.
Old 03 October 2012, 10:24 AM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Thier insurance may not pay out them, might be a small claims thing?
Old 03 October 2012, 10:27 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackvenom
Thier insurance may not pay out them, might be a small claims thing?
if your hit from behind the other driver is always at fault, save yourself stress and hastle and let the insurance sort it out...
Old 03 October 2012, 10:32 AM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

As others have already said, best bet is to put it through the insurance. The damage sounds like it might be costly to fix, and I'd be wondering just how cheap he's getting it done for it to be less than the effect on his insurance. Worst case, he knows this repairer and has arranged a cheap bodge job, if (probably when) you get problems down the line you'll have no comeback.

Only disadvantage for you is that you'll need to declare the accident in the future, but unless you've had other insurance problems or the insurer is a shark it shouldn't count against you much.

If you're still considering it though, see if he'll pay for it to be repaired at a garage of your choice, if he says "no" you know there's definately something fishy.

Originally Posted by BlackVenom
And if you go insurance than you can pick the place it goes too, your insurance company will try and send of to one of its own, but you! Have the legal right to choose where to repairs are carried out.
One thing to watch out for here is to check the small print in your insurance regarding courtesy cars, or make sure your bodyshop offers a free courtesy car (if you need one). My insurer was happy for me to use my preferred repairer, but wouldn't cover the cost of a courtesy car unless their approved repairer was used.

-Edit- Just seen the update. Definately shady then, you've done the right thing going through the insurance. What's your insurers policy on uninsured drivers?

Deano

Last edited by Beemer_Deano; 03 October 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:22 AM
steverashi
Scooby Regular

Going through an accident management company. They arrange a like for like car and claim the costs from the other side. Spoken to the police and they have said it will go through the Motor Insurance Buraeu and they will claim the costs back. Just worried about them writting it off as it looks like its going to be a costly repair. The boot carpet won't go back down so looks like its had a fair old smack to move the rear in as much as it has.

I've waited so long to be able to get one and when I do this happens. Gutted!
Old 03 October 2012, 11:27 AM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steverashi
Going through an accident management company. They arrange a like for like car and claim the costs from the other side. Spoken to the police and they have said it will go through the Motor Insurance Buraeu and they will claim the costs back. Just worried about them writting it off as it looks like its going to be a costly repair. The boot carpet won't go back down so looks like its had a fair old smack to move the rear in as much as it has.

I've waited so long to be able to get one and when I do this happens. Gutted!
On the upside, the like for like car is usually quite interesting.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:29 AM
steverashi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigballs
On the upside, the like for like car is usually quite interesting.
Not expecting anything spectacular but just need something to get the family about in. Dont want to be stuck with Micra or KA!!!
Old 03 October 2012, 01:03 PM
steverashi
Scooby Regular

Accident management company won't deal with it as they have no one to claim costs back. Got the guys insurance details off the MIB and reported to them. Just waiting for a call to see whats going to happen. Been informed by the MIB that his insurance company has to pick up the bill as there policy holder allowed someone to drive his vehicle knowing they weren't insured.
Its a waiting game now but hopefully will get sorted soon.
Old 03 October 2012, 01:12 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

surely 6 points to the driver for having no insurance too
Old 03 October 2012, 01:15 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by L3YMS
MIB took ages to pay but I did very well from them, this was 10 years ago tho, but this is what happened to me.

Police caught driver of stolen car who hit mine whilst parked on street. Poor kid in mums car showing off to his mates tbh not hardened criminal happened to get clocked by a patrol car who took chase, he hit my front wing in a panic prior to stopping.

In courts made him pay me expenses of a couple of hundered quid.

I got a bodyshop to declare the car total loss, it was an old porsche 944 so they priced to repair using genuine parts so not hard.

Whilst waiting for the MIB to payout I sold the damaged vehicle for £900.

The MIB paid out what I bought for the car 6 months previous which was £1900. They werent bothered I had already sold it.

All in I made about a grand on it, I didn't complain.

EDIT I want to add that - do you really want to drive a damaged/repaired car? It will be a CAT vehicle so forever marked as having had an accident which severely harms the resale value. Therefore just having it repaired to its previous condition isn't enough in my book, I would want that plus a large chunk of cash.

I reckon if its close to being a write off then let it go, fight hard to get good payout although my experience is as you are dealing with MIB they are on your side not trying to shaft you like insurance companies do, and go buy a replacement with the money.
i would drive an accident damaged vehicle no problems, as long as the damage wasnt structural and just cosmetic its fine, i repaired emmaroids car as some of the body panels got damaged in an accident, i.e. wing
,back door and bumper, it was written off and she bought it back.

its now a far better car than before, worth less second hand but she has had the money from insurance company anyway.
Old 03 October 2012, 01:18 PM
steverashi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
surely 6 points to the driver for having no insurance too
Been told by a good friend who's a copper that it is now 8 points and £1000 fine!! Deserves everything he gets!!
Old 03 October 2012, 01:22 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Been told by a good friend who's a copper that it is now 8 points and £1000 fine!! Deserves everything he gets!!
is it, well thats a bonus mate.

couldnt agree more insurance wise,
Old 03 October 2012, 01:50 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Maybe a bit harsh if the company told him he was insured and he didnt know. I have had loads of company cars and never asked to see the policy documents.

Not expecting anything spectacular but just need something to get the family about in. Dont want to be stuck with Micra or KA!!!
I once had a 530d that someone pranged. The insurance provided a Passat tdi - I had a bit of a winge and they swapped it for a 730d!
Old 03 October 2012, 01:52 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Sat in traffic on my way to work and been hit from behind. No visible damage but the boot has been pushed in. Anyone have any ideas how much this will cost. The other drivers boss wants to pay for it rather than going through the insurance. Bit worried about doing this as its the family car and the garage he has suggested doesn't look great.

Any thoughts?
Why don't you just agree to allow them to pay?
But....you choose the garage that does the work.
Old 03 October 2012, 02:00 PM
steverashi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Why don't you just agree to allow them to pay?
But....you choose the garage that does the work.
The guy knew he wasn't insured and shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. I pay a lot for insurance and don't see why people should get away with not having any. The owner of the van knew this guy wasn't covered but still let him drive it. It could have been a lot worse, what if this guy has an accident and kills someone. I know it might sound a bit OTT but if I just let him get away with it he's just going to carry on letting his guys drive with no insurance.
Old 03 October 2012, 02:02 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

The guy knew he wasn't insured and shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. I pay a lot for insurance and don't see why people should get away with not having any. The owner of the van knew this guy wasn't covered but still let him drive it. It could have been a lot worse, what if this guy has an accident and kills someone. I know it might sound a bit OTT but if I just let him get away with it he's just going to carry on letting his guys drive with no insurance.
+100 well said mate
Old 03 October 2012, 02:33 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Spot on!
Good on ya.
Old 03 October 2012, 03:33 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, personally I'd want my car properly repaired - at no expense to me whatsoever, I really couldn't care less who pays.

With regards to having no insurance - what you're doing is like pissing into the wind as it'll make no difference.
Old 10 October 2012, 03:40 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

What's happening mate?
You getting anywhere with this?
Old 10 October 2012, 03:54 PM
steverashi
Scooby Regular

Well the guy wasn't insured to drive the van but as the vehicle is insured they have to repair my vehicle and deal with the claim.

Reported him to the Police for driving with no insurance so he will be getting a visit in the next couple of days. Waiting for the assesor to come round and have a look at my car tomorrow so should know a bit more soon. Boot floor is all creased on the passenger side, wheel well at the back is dented, needs a new bumper and my exhaust is not sitting straight.

Currently working from home as my back is killing me due to a previous injury being aggravated by this.
Old 10 October 2012, 07:42 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Currently working from home as my back is killing me due to a previous injury being aggravated by this.
It's amazing how often that happens these days.
Old 10 October 2012, 08:02 PM
steverashi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
It's amazing how often that happens these days.
Not pulling a fast one. Was hit from behind on the motorway 2 years ago causing nerve damage in my back. Had just got to a point where it was bearable and then this happened. I can walk about 100 yds before the pain becomes horrendous. Daft thing is people think its my leg as it cause me to limp

Back to physio and accupuncture to try and sort it out
Old 10 October 2012, 08:52 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Should have been cut out of the car had 4 months off work and sued the **** out of the driver. take em to the cleaners like every other ****** on the roads.

Quick Reply: Hit up the backside