Sponsored by:

who is using methanol?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2012, 10:23 AM
jamesmacc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who is using methanol?

hey, been emailing andy forrest about getting my car mapped for 95 ron fuel as i cant get 99. he suggested filling PET bottles with meths and then i can just add them to the tank when filling, keeps things simple. my only worry is the safety of the stuff, im aware if not handled correctly it can make you blind etc. i would need to transfer if from 25l drum to small 1 litre bottles, i would use a lift pump or similar hand pump, i have a full air fed mask setup for spraying and could also wear heavy gloves similar to welding ones. would i also need overalls etc to cover all skin?
let me know if you run methanol and how you go about safely using it
cheers
james
Old 01 October 2012, 10:38 AM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Yes the stuff is dangerous if not handled correctly.

I have a 205L drum of it here (not at my house!) and take care not to break in the vapours directly. Prolonged exposure is what gets you, not short and often.

I wear standard latex gloves and cover up bare skin but no need to wear air feed masks etc etc.

Just be sensible with it.

For info - I did this as a test to satisfy my own understanding - meth as a liquid doesn't burn all too well. The vapours themselves (as a mist almost) are what catch.

A cup of meth was placed in a combustion chamber. The cup set on fire (being paper) and the meth just bubbled away in the naked flame. The vapour given off was flaming but the liquid itself didn't actually catch fire

It's great stuff that's for sure!
Old 01 October 2012, 02:14 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard that meth has less chemicals than fairy liquid??
Old 01 October 2012, 02:42 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KAS35RSTI
I heard that meth has less chemicals than fairy liquid??
Bit of a bizzarre statement that, and has nowt to do with the price of fish!

Meths is a chemical, therefore 99.99% virgin meths is at least 99.99% made of chemicals.

Fairy liquid is made of chemicals .... lots of them ..... but probably still has a water content that means it isnt 99.99% chemical.

So your right, fairy liquid is made of many chemicals and meths is made of just one.

Back to the ops thread though, if caution and common sense are used and mixed with some decent research, you should be fine! problems will probably be alot more likely after a couple of years using it as youll get complacent and drop the ball just long enough for one of its many ways of killing you to become apparent.

It is a bloody good way to pull some pretty much free power from your engine! especially in areas where 99ron isnt so easy to find.
Old 01 October 2012, 02:43 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats why i put 2 question marks next to it. Cheers anyway
Old 01 October 2012, 02:46 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

its not that bad but be careful and dont be complacent, many use it with no ill effects and the place where i buy it from are always handling it and breathing it in and they are fine..............so far anyway.

i use a pair of gardening rubber gloves to decant it and try to do it outside
Old 01 October 2012, 03:30 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

LOL... It's not as bad a people make out.

I've had it all over my hands and arms many times and recently got a face and eyes full of petrol/meth. Sure enough I can still see :-)

Just be careful, a pair of latex gloves and some eye protection are a good idea. Just don't go drinking it and you'll be fine chap
Old 01 October 2012, 04:00 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
LOL... It's not as bad a people make out.

I've had it all over my hands and arms many times and recently got a face and eyes full of petrol/meth. Sure enough I can still see :-)

Just be careful, a pair of latex gloves and some eye protection are a good idea. Just don't go drinking it and you'll be fine chap
As above.
I used to use it a lot in my R/C model flying days, along with nitromethane.
When you consider it is/was used as an industial cleaner you can imagine how blase' people were with it!
When I was a training/safety officer in industry, it was used from a bottle onto a rag to clean mechanical parts before assembly. When I informed management about the possible effects I was virtually accused of trying to sabotage production!
Just take care

JohnD
Old 01 October 2012, 05:58 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ppe at my work when breaking containment with it is full green pvc suit, pvc gloves and goggles. Might be slight overkill and uncomfortable to drive about in though.
Old 01 October 2012, 07:11 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Been using meths for 2 years in my hatch, Always discharge in a well ventilated area and just use some gloves and you'll be fine mate.