Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just joined need help with buying a scooby..

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2012, 11:31 AM
McKenzie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just joined need help with buying a scooby..

Hello all
Just joined the forum and will hopefully soon have a scooby of my own rather than drooling over everyone elses. I'm 16 and have saved a bit and have found a 1997 2.0L non turbo Impreza that i quite like, it has no tax or mot and am going to see it tonight so i'm wondering what to look out for(i'm an apprentice agricultural engineer so have a bit of experience with engines but their mostly 7.0L diesels so there's quite a difference ha). There is some rust (not a lot but a bit) at the back wheel arch been told this is a common problem also it needs a new front cat as it doesn't have one part of the reason it failed the MOT. What are the signs that's its not worth it/ past its best? I'm planning on doing it up and getting it resprayed etc so willing to do quite a bit of work but there's only so much money can be spent on a car before its a waste, so please post what i'm best to look out for what are the usual problems and what you recon its worth,
Thanks
Old 21 September 2012, 11:56 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

If you can see rust on the wheel arch then 9/10 it will be a lot worse than it actually is. No MOT or Tax and needs new front cat. Value prob scrap value at most. If you are thinking about it as your first car then personally I would say forget it. There are better 'first cars' out there. I know I may sound a bit old saying this but get a few years driving (once past test) under your belt and save, save save. It will save you in the long run.
Old 21 September 2012, 11:58 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

I appreciate it's a project, but I'd try contacting a few insurers first to see if you'll be able to get cover on it when you're old enough to drive.

I know it's not a turbo model, but it is a 2 litre and you may find you'll have to wait quite a while to be able to get insurance.

If you don't mind waiting a long time to drive it, it will be as good as anything to learn about bodywork on, but you might regret not saving up and buying one of the turbo models in a few years time instead.

If I might suggest, if I were you I'd cut my teeth on restoring some kind of classic (an old Mini or similar) which you can then sell on at a profit in a few years to help fund a WRX.

But at your age, I wouldn't have listened to an oldie like me anyway, so the very best of luck!

Last edited by Osimabu; 21 September 2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 21 September 2012, 12:21 PM
McKenzie
Scooby Newbie

You cant see rust in the pictures but the seller says theres some rust, ill be getting insured as the driver of my fathers saab and he'll be as the main driver of this so the insurance isnt too bad, nah i cant wait that long ive been desperate to get a subaru for years and i really want one now. My friend had an old mini that we restored between us which was quite fun but it was only a 1.2 and had littl power as he was scared to get it mapped as he thought the engine may blow. In a few years time ill be a fully qualified engineer and should be able to afford a proper subaru, yep yous sound like my dad, thats too fast for a first car but ive been driving cars for years(not illegally on the road) so ive got quite a bit of experience its not like its the first time ive driven something, ive also got a 600cc road bike so im use to driving at speeds and know where i have to drive sensibly.
Old 21 September 2012, 12:39 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

I'd definitely check with the insurers to confirm that what you're proposing will mean you're insured. It might be okay, but you don't want to find out the hard way that you're not.
Old 21 September 2012, 12:39 PM
byrnsie44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by McKenzie
You cant see rust in the pictures but the seller says theres some rust, ill be getting insured as the driver of my fathers saab and he'll be as the main driver of this so the insurance isnt too bad, nah i cant wait that long ive been desperate to get a subaru for years and i really want one now. My friend had an old mini that we restored between us which was quite fun but it was only a 1.2 and had littl power as he was scared to get it mapped as he thought the engine may blow. In a few years time ill be a fully qualified engineer and should be able to afford a proper subaru, yep yous sound like my dad, thats too fast for a first car but ive been driving cars for years(not illegally on the road) so ive got quite a bit of experience its not like its the first time ive driven something, ive also got a 600cc road bike so im use to driving at speeds and know where i have to drive sensibly.

what youre planning to do with insurance is illegal and massively stupid mate
Old 21 September 2012, 01:02 PM
McKenzie
Scooby Newbie

Thats how my mate is insured just now, Hows it illegal?
Old 21 September 2012, 01:14 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

I'm assuming you will be driving the impreza based on the insurance on the Saab. So third party piggy backing off the other policy which I'm sure is illegal because you would have to be atleast 25 and the main policy must state that you are allowed to drive other vehicles with owners permission. Ill stand to be corrected here.... so in other words yes its illegal.
Old 21 September 2012, 01:18 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

I'd implore your mate to ring up his insurers and ask them directly rather than relying on internet forums to confirm this, but I'm certain that if an insurer finds out you're the main driver when you're only listed as a named driver, you aren't insured.

You've come on here for help with your car, this is a great forum and no-one is intentionally having a go at you, but the last thing any of us want is to see you start off by landing yourself in the poo.

Last edited by Osimabu; 21 September 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 21 September 2012, 01:53 PM
Leebo310
Scooby Regular

If you're going to be the main driver yet tell the insurance company anything else then it's classed as fraud and is definitely illegal.

Sure everyone on here would agree in that I wouldn't want you to crash into me and then find out that you don't actually have valid insurance...

Just save up and do it properly. Yep insurance is expensive but it's a necessity unfortunately.
I had an MR2 at 19 (13 years ago!) and that cost me 4.5k for the car and another 2k just for the insurance!

If you can't afford insurance, then you can't afford the car.
Sorry to be harsh mate but that's the truth!
Old 21 September 2012, 01:54 PM
scoobyrob2002
Scooby Regular

Mate i was in the same boat as you i was 17 , but ended up getting a 1.0 metro lol 7 years later now own a STI JDM its worth it in the long run build up your no claims first, i know its hard as you want a scooby now! but just wait man or another option buy a wrx or sti keept it as a project car, buy a cheap runner and when you have a few years of no clams under your belt then insure it ! like osimabu said you may regret buying a sports, couple of my mates have sports now and wish they brought a turbo ,

Last edited by scoobyrob2002; 21 September 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 21 September 2012, 02:02 PM
byrnsie44
Scooby Regular

i bought my WRX 4 months ago , im 20 and cant get a quote for under 2.2k which i wasnt happy to pay, so im waiting till im 21 next week when my insurance drops to 900 odd with 4 years no claims.

it takes time to learn to drive properly, no one can really call themselves a great road driver till about 20 odd years of experience.

i went from a 1.2 80bhp corsa at 17 to a 105bhp 1.4 mg to a 150bhp - 240bhp 1.6 turbo corsa to a 1.9 140bhp BMW and now to a 2.0 turbo 221 bhp Impreza.
Old 21 September 2012, 02:05 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

My friend had an old mini that we restored between us which was quite fun but it was only a 1.2 and had littl power as he was scared to get it mapped as he thought the engine may blow.
Forgive me if I am wrong but an old mini does not have an ecu so cant be 'mapped'
Old 21 September 2012, 02:11 PM
byrnsie44
Scooby Regular

the later ones work on injection instead of carbs so wouldnt they need an ecu?
Old 21 September 2012, 02:19 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Wait wait wait!

If you 'insure' your subaru through the method you want to, and hit my car (STI which I have saved for years for) leading to an insurance claim which doesn't pay out.... well..... lets just say you want to be very carefull kidda.

I empathise with your want for an impreza, they are just epic... but you aint ready at 16 and a rusty sport with an MOT failure is hardly an impreza is it!

I am 25, waited from 15 to 24 to buy mine... worth every minute
Old 21 September 2012, 02:21 PM
byrnsie44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by type-rob
Wait wait wait!

If you 'insure' your subaru through the method you want to, and hit my car (STI which I have saved for years for) leading to an insurance claim which doesn't pay out.... well..... lets just say you want to be very carefull kidda.

I empathise with your want for an impreza, they are just epic... but you aint ready at 16 and a rusty sport with an MOT failure is hardly an impreza is it!

I am 25, waited from 15 to 24 to buy mine... worth every minute
even if every one of those minutes waiting is very painful haha
Old 21 September 2012, 03:14 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Indeed! Every 4,717,404 of them!
Old 21 September 2012, 03:18 PM
byrnsie44
Scooby Regular

haha i thought waiting 4 months was hard
Old 21 September 2012, 03:37 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

I would do it again in a heartbeat!
Old 21 September 2012, 03:46 PM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fronting your insurance like that is fraud. If you get caught out, you'll be uninsurable for the forseeable future. No insurance company will touch you.
And so will your dad, if he's in on the act.
Old 21 September 2012, 04:21 PM
kez wrx
Scooby Newbie

Hello, There everyone just joined,
Well mate the truth is you wud be wasting your time with a basic impreza,best thing get that DL under ya belt an save save save,surely its gona be worth it in the long run.
Old 21 September 2012, 04:25 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

I'm slightly puzzled by the 600cc road bike too. Have you got your experience on that from track days or do you race it?

Either way, it's useful experience.
Old 21 September 2012, 06:25 PM
McKenzie
Scooby Newbie

Okay well i never knew it was illegal, my mate has his gran insured as the main driver of his astra and he is the main driver of his grans daewoo lucky for him the insurance is extremely cheap, ill ask him about it and i wonder if he knows its illegal. Secondly the mini had an engine swap from the original carburetted 998cc to the 1.2 injection thats in it just now(im sure its out a corsa). Ohh yes it is very painful thinking that i may not be able to drive one till im 21 or so, how many miles do you have to do to be classified as the main driver? And how is it fraud? Thirdly the bike, yes my dad is mates with the local garage/mechanic and he is in to rallying an old cosworth and another couple of cars so when he rents out the local track to test them hes let me on it with my bike quite a few times.
Old 21 September 2012, 08:44 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Okay well i never knew it was illegal, my mate has his gran insured as the main driver of his astra and he is the main driver of his grans daewoo lucky for him the insurance is extremely cheap, ill ask him about it and i wonder if he knows its illegal. Secondly the mini had an engine swap from the original carburetted 998cc to the 1.2 injection thats in it just now(im sure its out a corsa). Ohh yes it is very painful thinking that i may not be able to drive one till im 21 or so, how many miles do you have to do to be classified as the main driver? And how is it fraud? Thirdly the bike, yes my dad is mates with the local garage/mechanic and he is in to rallying an old cosworth and another couple of cars so when he rents out the local track to test them hes let me on it with my bike quite a few times.
Mate to be fair people on here are not having a go...just giving you some very sound advice. If you had an accident withbtge policy you stated above, chances are you will not ever have an impreza in the future as insurance companies will mark your cards. However, ...at 16 years young I would buy a car to get experience and go from there. Trust me that is sound advice....but in sure you'll pay no attention lol. Good luck though because imprezas are awesome ,...