Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2012, 12:26 PM
Billy 3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

Does anyone know anywhere or anyone who de-tangos
headlights,either on an exchane basis,or just payment.
Cheers.Scared of trying this myself.

Last edited by Billy 3; 06 September 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06 September 2012, 12:30 PM
billy21
Scooby Regular

Try urself mate it's easy. Just take it out an all apart then stick in the oven on a very low heat to loosen glue then take apart. Just don't do what I did and stick it in on 120c and melt the whole light lol. Then ya can just reverse process once done. Jus heat glue before tighten it all up an it will seal great. If u were closer I'd do it for ya mate
Old 06 September 2012, 12:38 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

I'm doing mine soon! just terrified of doing it incase i melt it!!! what temp would you consider low heat? and for how long 5-10 mins?
Old 06 September 2012, 12:40 PM
Billy 3
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by billy21
Try urself mate it's easy. Just take it out an all apart then stick in the oven on a very low heat to loosen glue then take apart. Just don't do what I did and stick it in on 120c and melt the whole light lol. Then ya can just reverse process once done. Jus heat glue before tighten it all up an it will seal great. If u were closer I'd do it for ya mate
Just don't do what I did and stick it in on 120c and melt the whole light thats what i am scared of doing.If i get no information i may try.
Thanks for your how too though,it made me smile.
Old 06 September 2012, 01:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine went in for 5 minutes on 100 degrees, but they are the glass lights. Best way is to TRY: start at 100 deg, give it, say, three minutes, whip it out and see if it's soft, if not, bang it in again for another two, etc.

DO have oven gloves or cloths ready to handle them and beware of the glue: it gets hot, it melts, and it then sticks to YOU...and burns!
Old 06 September 2012, 01:44 PM
billy21
Scooby Regular

I done my second one on 50 and jus kept checkin every min. Only need the light nice and warm not too hot
Old 06 September 2012, 02:36 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use a heat gun and not an oven and its easy.
Old 06 September 2012, 02:41 PM
billy21
Scooby Regular

I didn't have a heat gun :-(
Old 06 September 2012, 02:44 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Set mine to 50 deg and set timer for 8 mins, the bond was nice and soft an easy enough to pull the lense from the body,make sure you undo all the screws as well as there is one from memory under a bit of sponge.

Alternatively if you dont want to paint the reflector black or what ever colour u had in mind then others have simply used long nose pliers to break the orange lense apart and pull it out through the bulb holes, never seen it done personally but have been assured it works, just make sure u aint scratching shlt out of the reflector

Personally id either be in the oven or a heat gun like tommy has mentioned have used both ways before and both easy enough
Old 06 September 2012, 02:51 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billy21
I didn't have a heat gun :-(
neither did i so i bought one for about £15.

having done a few detango jobs i can tell you this is the easiest way as you can direct the heat onto the seal and melt it.

wear disposable gloves to so not to leave fingerrints etc on the inside of the lense then when you put it back together heat up the seal ond hold together firm for a few mins and this will ensure a water tight seal.

im not saying the oven method is not very good but i found this way far safer and easier.

i have seen a few detango jobs that look areal mess with fingerprints and sealer on the inside of the lights.

im a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to modding my car and wont stand for anything thats not 100% correct

Old 06 September 2012, 02:55 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I love the look on that car, and you have certainly paid attention to detail with it

Perfect if you ask me!
Old 06 September 2012, 03:36 PM
Billy 3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
neither did i so i bought one for about £15.

having done a few detango jobs i can tell you this is the easiest way as you can direct the heat onto the seal and melt it.

wear disposable gloves to so not to leave fingerrints etc on the inside of the lense then when you put it back together heat up the seal ond hold together firm for a few mins and this will ensure a water tight seal.

im not saying the oven method is not very good but i found this way far safer and easier.

i have seen a few detango jobs that look areal mess with fingerprints and sealer on the inside of the lights.

im a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to modding my car and wont stand for anything thats not 100% correct

Thanks for the advise.I am looking into getting a price for this.If is is too expensive i will have a go myself,after all everyone is saying that it isn't too difficult.

Thanks to everyone for the how too

Love the carbon splitter, but there are too many speed ramps between my house and work.

Last edited by Billy 3; 06 September 2012 at 03:39 PM.