Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2012, 08:04 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Centering

Hi,

WRX STi Spec D 07/07.

I have had four wheel alignment recently, and now the car feels a hell of a lot better.

The only thing now is that the steering wheel is now a bit pi$$ed to the left, perhaps only 2/3 notches on the spline.

How can I do this at home?

I see two allen screws on the back of the steering wheel, but what to do from there? Would this remove the horn / airbag module, revealing a nut in the centre?

It's a standard STi steering wheel, and was the same in my 54 plate STi blob I had five years ago.

Many thanks.
Old 01 September 2012, 08:28 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea remove the 2 Fixings from the back of the wheel which release the airbag/horn from the center of the wheel, unclip the wiring to it, you may want to disconect battery to ensure airbag dies not go off when removing, it is very rare lol but some people do! Once removed there will be a center nut that holds the steering wheel to the column, undo it and move wheel to center, some steerin wheels are a right bitch to remove so may take a bit of leverage side to side and up and down, or alternatively find someone who has a puller
Hope that helps
Old 01 September 2012, 08:35 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Yea remove the 2 Fixings from the back of the wheel which release the airbag/horn from the center of the wheel, unclip the wiring to it, you may want to disconect battery to ensure airbag dies not go off when removing, it is very rare lol but some people do! Once removed there will be a center nut that holds the steering wheel to the column, undo it and move wheel to center, some steerin wheels are a right bitch to remove so may take a bit of leverage side to side and up and down, or alternatively find someone who has a puller
Hope that helps

Sure does help, thanks fella
Old 01 September 2012, 09:06 AM
Scoobyno1
Scooby Regular

Take it back to who ever did the alignment and they will sort it free of charge. Had to do this numerous tines with other cars over the years.
Old 01 September 2012, 09:11 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyno1
Take it back to who ever did the alignment and they will sort it free of charge. Had to do this numerous tines with other cars over the years.
He said that most of the adjustments were on the rear, and only a tiny bit on the front.

How come the steering wheel is now off centre?

I'm happy to do this myself to be honest, but it's strange because he showed me all the green readings on his screen and I watched the readings change from red to green as he was adjusting so it's all bang on, but why would this put the steering wheel out?
Old 01 September 2012, 09:29 AM
Scoobyno1
Scooby Regular

They have to put a device locking the steering wheel into place on the drivers seat and if they didn't straighten the wheels properly to become with then it will be out once the adjustments are made. It doesn't take much to be out, but if it was alright before they touched it then it must have been something they did.

I would let them sort it if it was me as I hate leading around with airbags as they can go.off when plugging, in plugging them. Plus they steering wheels are nearly always a pain to remove and refit central. All they would have to do is lock the steering again and adjust the track rod ends, as I'd put money on them putting it on for tracking alignment and saying that the tracking is slightly out, this would be because the weehl wasn't aligned properly to begin with.

If you're happy to do it mate then good luck
Old 01 September 2012, 10:08 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Its easy enough to remove your steering wheel, and if worried about air bag DISCONECT THE BATTERY and it will not deploy, airbags are set off when live meets earth so if no power to the bag it wont deploy and the airbag should just push back in to place easy enough on reinstallation just make sure you route the wires the way they come out and battery is still disconected and you wont have a problem, biggest issues i find with most is actually getting the wheel off the splines of the column, but with a bit of persuation it will soon move, just dont be too harsh on it ie extreme use of a hammer lol

Although as said above if wheel was straight when you started they should center it free of charge for you, or at least any decent garage would! So maybe try this route first if still unsure
Old 01 September 2012, 11:23 AM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

To set the steering wheel straight it needs doing with the track rod ends being adjusted to the correct measuremet and with the steering wheel in the correct position.
Old 01 September 2012, 11:36 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

I'm getting some very good and safety concious advice here.

Much appreciated.
Old 01 September 2012, 12:15 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it back, DO NOT mess with your steering wheel for adjusting tracking!
Old 01 September 2012, 12:41 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 you'd be a total mong to remove your wheel to correct a mis centred wheel during tracking. 10 minute job to recentre the wheel and adjust the track rod ends. Did they use heat to crack the nuts as cooling post aligning can spoil the settings?
Old 01 September 2012, 12:48 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
+1 you'd be a total mong to remove your wheel to correct a mis centred wheel during tracking. 10 minute job to recentre the wheel and adjust the track rod ends. Did they use heat to crack the nuts as cooling post aligning can spoil the settings?
No, no heating involved.

If they adjust the track rod ends (and this does make sense to me), wouldn't all four wheels need aligning again?
Old 01 September 2012, 01:28 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No just the front, although on the alignment lift they may adjust the rear if it's moved since it was done. Should be FOC so get on the phone.
Old 01 September 2012, 01:39 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

as above take it back, they have probably cheated somewhere on the measuring to save a bit of time.