Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2012, 01:09 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Front / Rear Power Split

Hi,

WRX STi Spec D 07/07.

What is the front / rear power split on these?

49% Front / 51% Rear?

And what would my old 54 plate WRX STi blob have been in comparison, as I think the split is very different?
Old 26 August 2012, 01:15 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Not sure on newages but classics are 50/50.

Doesn't really help you though....lol....

Last edited by MattyB1983; 26 August 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 26 August 2012, 04:13 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard some say its a max 60/40 split and some say 70/30 with the wheel turned right back. 50/50 in auto.
Old 26 August 2012, 04:26 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

59 rear 41 front with the diff fully open
Old 26 August 2012, 07:18 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Right. if you really want to know...read on.

Your 04 Blob ran a centre differential with a viscous coupling. It had by necessity a 50/50 split which meant that torque split was equal front to rear. The front was if I can remember an open sun/planet diff and the rear a TORSEN type SURETRAK diff.

If either end was to spin up the shear forces in the fluid centre diff would cause it to progressively lock up and transfer torque. In reality, the car would easily spin the front pulling out of junctions in wet conditions as load went to the rear, the open front would cause the inside to spin up and you would understeer across the road with cheap tyres- well I often did!

The 06/07 Hawkeye STi, as per the 05 Blob had the DCCD. This meant the open torque split was 35f/65r but the ratio changed slightly on models. The Spec D, as mine is is listed as 35/65 in the manual.

The car has a helical limited slip front and SURETRAK rear diff too.

The DCCD is effectively a locking clutchpack operated by an electromagnet. It's torque not wheel speed that determines all this so read up on it.

I'd make sure you have a few hours first though......
Old 26 August 2012, 10:33 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Markyscoob
Right. if you really want to know...read on.

Your 04 Blob ran a centre differential with a viscous coupling. It had by necessity a 50/50 split which meant that torque split was equal front to rear. The front was if I can remember an open sun/planet diff and the rear a TORSEN type SURETRAK diff.

If either end was to spin up the shear forces in the fluid centre diff would cause it to progressively lock up and transfer torque. In reality, the car would easily spin the front pulling out of junctions in wet conditions as load went to the rear, the open front would cause the inside to spin up and you would understeer across the road with cheap tyres- well I often did!

The 06/07 Hawkeye STi, as per the 05 Blob had the DCCD. This meant the open torque split was 35f/65r but the ratio changed slightly on models. The Spec D, as mine is is listed as 35/65 in the manual.

The car has a helical limited slip front and SURETRAK rear diff too.

The DCCD is effectively a locking clutchpack operated by an electromagnet. It's torque not wheel speed that determines all this so read up on it.

I'd make sure you have a few hours first though......

Just to add to this, the later hatch sti 6spd box onwards the center diff is a planetary gearset that apportions a torque plate 41 percent front and 59 percent rear. It's paired with an electronically controlled clutch-type limited-slip differential that is tied into the stability control hardware and software.
Old 27 August 2012, 09:09 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rob84
Just to add to this, the later hatch sti 6spd box onwards the center diff is a planetary gearset that apportions a torque plate 41 percent front and 59 percent rear. It's paired with an electronically controlled clutch-type limited-slip differential that is tied into the stability control hardware and software.
Also known as dccd-a as it is the dccd from earlier years with a few sensors added on