Sponsored by:

400BHP TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2012, 11:05 PM
ovadrive
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400BHP TURBO

Hi there looking for a turbo to make as above fiqure as my engine has started to knock so want to get everything together for it car is v5 sti spec is so far front mount,headers (rcm) upipe,downpipe,3" exhaust system (hks)uprated fuel pump,got a version 8 shortmotor to build on need decent injectors, turbo and ecu to make that sort of fiqure at moment running vf34 and what intake to go for aswell, hoping the box will be ok for around that mark with uprated clutch and flywheel as only want for weekends as second car thanks in advance
Old 18 August 2012, 04:27 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Best real 400 turbo is the md321h , you,ll be pushing the box though but should be ok if youre gentle.
Old 18 August 2012, 04:37 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

got a MD321T for sale, good for 450bhp. runs fine on newage 2.0 sti block, with very little lag

wiley
Old 18 August 2012, 08:45 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Sc42
Old 18 August 2012, 10:56 AM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

got an afp billet 20g at a good price in the for sale section.
Old 18 August 2012, 11:02 AM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
got an afp billet 20g at a good price in the for sale section.
My AF20g non billet made 404bhp with slight play on the shaft i wonder how the billet version would be comparing to non billet, i think would pull very well.
Old 18 August 2012, 11:09 AM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaks-STI
My AF20g non billet made 404bhp with slight play on the shaft i wonder how the billet version would be comparing to non billet, i think would pull very well.
fancy upgrading then shaks?
Old 18 August 2012, 11:36 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Which gearbox are you looking at running? Because if you want relability and the ability to actually use 400 brake then you'll need something stronger than a standard 5 speed - trust me.
Old 18 August 2012, 11:41 AM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Which gearbox are you looking at running? Because if you want relability and the ability to actually use 400 brake then you'll need something stronger than a standard 5 speed - trust me.
always going on about the gearbox,some break,some dont,if it breaks you replace/upgrade,it the same scenario if a shock absorber fails,or a turbo fails,just another part to replace,many 5 speed have run this sort of power without issues,some have broken,its the name of the game.there is no point scare mongering everyone that goes abouve the power you are running just because your box has broken in the past,it dosent mean that someone with the same box running even more power is going to have gearbox break.its luck of the draw and not everyone wants to upgrade to a six speed.
Old 18 August 2012, 12:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

always going on about the gearbox,some break,some dont,if it breaks you replace/upgrade,it the same scenario if a shock absorber fails,or a turbo fails,just another part to replace,many 5 speed have run this sort of power without issues,some have broken,its the name of the game.there is no point scare mongering everyone that goes abouve the power you are running just because your box has broken in the past,it dosent mean that someone with the same box running even more power is going to have gearbox break.its luck of the draw and not everyone wants to upgrade to a six speed.

Bla bla bla, many more gearboxes have broken at a lot less than 400 brake. The OP may not necessarily be aware that the 5-speed isn't designed to cope with that kind of power, so it's not scare mongering from me or others, it's advice, which is what forums are for. Just because you didn't want to cough up for a 6 speed or stronger 5 speed PPG, (and danced around gradually raising your power figures hoping people would tell you what you wanted to hear), doesn't mean that others will follow the same path.

The gearbox went in my old UK classic 5 years ago. The scenario was the car had 135,000 miles on it, with 65,000 on the rebuilt engine. The engine prior to my ownership was rebuilt under warranty after a failed oil pump. But also prior to me purchasing it, it was running circa 300-350bhp without my knowledge and returned to standard prior to my purchase of the car. That and the high miles were the cause of the gearbox failure.

Just because you and a few others may have been lucky or simply not used the power to it's extent or potential does not also mean that the majority are going to be fine. I'll say again, I'm not scare mongering, but I am saying it how it generally is rather than telling someone something they want to hear.

Over and out.

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 18 August 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 18 August 2012, 12:38 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

It's not power that breaks boxes, it's torque (plus of course the nut behind the wheel).
Old 18 August 2012, 12:52 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Bla bla bla, many more gearboxes have broken at a lot less than 400 brake. The OP may not necessarily be aware that the 5-speed isn't designed to cope with that kind of power, so it's not scare mongering from me or others, it's advice, which is what forums are for. Just because you didn't want to cough up for a 6 speed or stronger 5 speed PPG, (and danced around gradually raising your power figures hoping people would tell you what you wanted to hear), doesn't mean that others will follow the same path.

The gearbox went in my old UK classic 5 years ago. The scenario was the car had 135,000 miles on it, with 65,000 on the rebuilt engine. The engine prior to my ownership was rebuilt under warranty after a failed oil pump. But also prior to me purchasing it, it was running circa 300-350bhp without my knowledge and returned to standard prior to my purchase of the car. That and the high miles were the cause of the gearbox failure.

Just because you and a few others may have been lucky or simply not used the power to it's extent or potential does not also mean that the majority are going to be fine. I'll say again, I'm not scare mongering, but I am saying it how it generally is rather than telling someone something they want to hear.

Over and out.

everytime someone mentions modding,you jump on and say"what gearbox you running,it will break trust me".
if the op is unaware of the 5 speed situation then all good,but even top tuners will say the same,its luck of the draw.just because someone wants to run over 300bhp dosent mean they need a six speed or ppg.
just stop being so hasty about the 5 speed.
Old 18 August 2012, 12:57 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Just because you and a few others may have been lucky or simply not used the power to it's extent or potential does not also mean that the majority are going to be fine. I'll say again, I'm not scare mongering, but I am saying it how it generally is rather than telling someone something they want to hear. Over and out.
Nice post CoB. I broke three UK boxes at under 300 lbs/ft...but good news for the OP; I ran a P1 (same as v5\6 sti), box with an 18g without any issues...as John says above it's not just torque that is a contributing factor

Last edited by trails; 18 August 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 18 August 2012, 01:07 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

the sti v5/6 is the strongest classic box , i`m running 380ish on a v3/4 sti box so should be ok, ive heard of ppl running more and being ok
Old 18 August 2012, 01:14 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

back on track......the op is talking about a 400bhp turbo.
fao chocolate...."not what gearbox he needs".
Old 18 August 2012, 01:15 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stedee
the sti v5/6 is the strongest classic box , i`m running 380ish on a v3/4 sti box so should be ok, ive heard of ppl running more and being ok
Old 18 August 2012, 01:20 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Cool

everytime someone mentions modding,you jump on and say"what gearbox you running,it will break trust me".
if the op is unaware of the 5 speed situation then all good,but even top tuners will say the same,its luck of the draw.just because someone wants to run over 300bhp dosent mean they need a six speed or ppg.
just stop being so hasty about the 5 speed.
Over 350 is the usual figure (as stated to me by one of the best mappers around). Over these figures then yes you do need to start thinking about "when" not "if". If you honestly think running nigh on 400bhp or torques through a standard 5 speed box for a prolonged period is not gonna give you issues then you are in your own little world. I'll repeat, it's advice. It's not me holding a gun to someone's head telling them they MUST do this. I am speaking from experience as are many others. You are in a minority with regards the box and figures.

Originally Posted by trails
Nice post CoB. I broke three UK boxes at under 300 lbs/ft...but good news for the OP; I ran a P1 (same as v5\6 sti), box with an 18g without any issues...as John says above it's not just torque that is a contributing factor
Yep, I totally agree. My point was centred around having said power levels and either being afraid to use it or not using it due to the weak link - i.e. gearbox. The OP may be a harder than average driver or use the car in anger. Mechanical sympathy comes into it too

Originally Posted by stedee
Exactly. You've heard of people running ok for a while etc. but I bet you've heard more going than not. That's my point.

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 18 August 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 18 August 2012, 01:23 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

i am more than aware of the 5 speed situation.yes 1 gearbox may break at this level,others may not,also depending on which model code gearbox,torque,driver..
this is never ending and has been covered so many times.we don need to keep going over and over it.
Old 18 August 2012, 01:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

back on track......the op is talking about a 400bhp turbo.
fao chocolate...."not what gearbox he needs".

Supporting mods - i.e. gearbox

Nah, **** it, as a mates sisters illegitimate childs, grandfathers boyfriend once ran 500bhp and 450lbft through a standard 5 speed, it means all MUST be fine at that power level and more. But because I'm a careful driver, mine will never blow up
Old 18 August 2012, 01:32 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Nah, **** it, as a mates sisters illegitimate childs, grandfathers boyfriend once ran 500bhp and 450lbft through a standard 5 speed, it means all MUST be fine at that power level and more. But because I'm a careful driver, mine will never blow up

you really are hung up on this gearbox mailarkee arent you?
i do agree with most you say,but its not made in stone.

i see both points yours and mine,and they are alot of depends on this,depends on that.
but i certainly would not try and run 400lb ft through a 5 speed.
Old 18 August 2012, 01:36 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

out of interest what power did u get from ur vf34?
Old 18 August 2012, 01:40 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i am more than aware of the 5 speed situation.yes 1 gearbox may break at this level,others may not,also depending on which model code gearbox,torque,driver..
this is never ending and has been covered so many times.we don need to keep going over and over it.
As the OP is a newbie I think it’s a little harsh to criticise CoB for providing helpful information, particularly in the context of increasing the OE power output by over a third.

Have a look at this link, it gives you all the gearbox information you could ever need including the codes to help identify which flavour 'box it is and therefore how appropriate it is to the number of torques you are after.

http://spda-online.ca/content.php?44-transmission-chart
Old 18 August 2012, 01:45 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
As the OP is a newbie I think it’s a little harsh to criticise CoB for providing helpful information, particularly in the context of increasing the OE power output by over a third.

Have a look at this link, it gives you all the gearbox information you could ever need including the codes to help identify which flavour 'box it is and therefore how appropriate it is to the number of torques you are after.

http://spda-online.ca/content.php?44-transmission-chart

hi ive looked into the gearbox thing as much as i could and ive researched loads,i just find a little ennoying when as soon as someone asks about modding,cob straight away jumps on the gearbox situation.
but yes,as op is newbie and may not know this then i apologise for the critisim,i just think whoever the op may be there are two sides to the gearbox theory.
Old 18 August 2012, 01:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

You may think I jump on but I don't. I may have on threads of yours but only as banter and it's obviously wound you up - job done

I'll continue to offer the advice I have in here with regards to power hikes and the drivetrain taking this. As I will with regards to suspension and brake upgrades, from past experience also. I'll also continue to air my opinions on various other topics including graphics, VTA dumpvalves and the general decline of the subaru marque for several reasons. That won't stop so you're more than welcome to stick me on ignore if you don't like what I write.
Old 18 August 2012, 02:04 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

You may think I jump on but I don't. I may have on threads of yours but only as banter and it's obviously wound you up - job done

I'll continue to offer the advice I have in here with regards to power hikes and the drivetrain taking this. As I will with regards to suspension and brake upgrades, from past experience also. I'll also continue to air my opinions on various other topics including graphics, VTA dumpvalves and the general decline of the subaru marque for several reasons. That won't stop so you're more than welcome to stick me on ignore if you don't like what I write.
dont take it to heart mate,i just think there are 2 sides of the gearbox story.
its not that i dislike what you write,i just think you should also point out there are many different different specs/options and to make the op aware of this also.but if i want any advice on dump valves ill come to you.
i have no issues with you cob,just sometimes have a slightly different opinion which we are all entitled to,including yourself.
Old 18 August 2012, 09:54 PM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

fancy upgrading then shaks?
Thanks for asking mate but my next upgrade would be for 500 after my 6 speed is in.

GLWS buddy it should sale quick.
Old 18 August 2012, 10:43 PM
ovadrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin 2010
out of interest what power did u get from ur vf34?
Hi there never found out as the bottom end gave in just before mapping still in two minds weather to break and go back to a version 8 as put alot of monie in to it
Old 19 August 2012, 12:18 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

i was lucky enough to buy that exact gearbox recently im putting it into my Bugatti Veyron as ive been told its more reliable
Old 19 August 2012, 12:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LUCKO
i was lucky enough to buy that exact gearbox recently im putting it into my Bugatti Veyron as ive been told its more reliable

How the devil are you Rich?
Old 19 August 2012, 12:33 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

How the devil are you Rich?
im sound mate thanks, bit sunburnt from rally day but ill live

Quick Reply: 400BHP TURBO