Sponsored by:

hello to all

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2012, 08:14 AM
meandmycar
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello to all

hi iv just joined as i got my first impreza yesterday i have had cosworths for the last 15 years but always wanted an impreza and this one came up very cheap it needs a lot of work its a bit rusty round the rear arches and the engine has a knock but ill get it sorted this week hopefuly
Old 12 August 2012, 09:03 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

this post is useless without pictures. get some up. what did you buy?
Old 12 August 2012, 09:06 AM
meandmycar
Scooby Newbie

hi i will get some pics up later the car is still strapped to the back of my truck the cars a 98 2000 turbo which isnt the best i know but it was very cheap
Old 12 August 2012, 10:20 AM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A rotten Impreza with a knackered engine is worth scrap value. Hope you didn't pay anymore than £150.
Old 12 August 2012, 10:56 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

We do need pictures
We do need to know the price
Then people can advice on how to sort the knocking engine
Could be a lot more then you paid for the car
Also some one will give you advice on the rusty arches which most subarus have now and it's not cheap unless you have a bodywork and spraying facilities and knowledge

But a great project that will keep you amused for years
And welcome to scoobynet
AWD is better then 2wd you will find
Old 12 August 2012, 11:34 AM
meandmycar
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by burbling1
A rotten Impreza with a knackered engine is worth scrap value. Hope you didn't pay anymore than £150.
how is a knocking engine a knackered engine it hasnt got a rod tho the block and i scrap around 20 car a week so if you can get (knackered) inprezas for £150 ill give you £250 each for them

anyway as isaid ill get some pic when i unload the car body work wont be a problem i have a spray booth in the workshop so will do that my self just need to see if the repair panals can be got as for the engine once its out ill see whats what i do have a 80.000 km engine from a 94 wrx that we broke a few months back so might put that in for now while i rebuild this one
Old 12 August 2012, 11:38 AM
spender(again)
Scooby Regular

" just need to see if the repair panels can be got"

no they can't

Trending Topics

Old 12 August 2012, 11:42 AM
meandmycar
Scooby Newbie

nasty ill have to make something up im not just going to gob it up might be able to cut some out of another shell
Old 12 August 2012, 11:45 AM
spender(again)
Scooby Regular

apparently front left wing matches rear right and vice versa bit I don't think many peeps have tried it - maybe a myth
Old 12 August 2012, 11:50 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

the rear arches rot from the inside btw, there are 2 skins close together with selant inbetween the sealant cracks and condensation sits there rotting them away, very common but can be sorted.

knocking engine is bad news though ,rebuild time which isnt cheap, dont regrind the cranks and you need new modine and oil pump because of the trapped swarf plus all of the usual stuff and make sure the engine is thoroughly cleaned
Old 12 August 2012, 05:59 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by meandmycar
how is a knocking engine a knackered engine it hasnt got a rod tho the block and i scrap around 20 car a week so if you can get (knackered) inprezas for £150 ill give you £250 each for them

anyway as isaid ill get some pic when i unload the car body work wont be a problem i have a spray booth in the workshop so will do that my self just need to see if the repair panals can be got as for the engine once its out ill see whats what i do have a 80.000 km engine from a 94 wrx that we broke a few months back so might put that in for now while i rebuild this one
As a rule when an Impreza engine has a knock its the bottom end that's making the noise so unless you can repair it yourself your looking at 2k+ for someone to do it. Even if you do it yourself the parts will be a small fortune. As for rusty rear arches they normally rot from the inside so by the time its visible from the outside its a massive mess on the inside. I'm sorry if my first post was offensive but that's my views on the matter especially with the 2000 being the least desirable of the impreza range.
Old 12 August 2012, 06:42 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

first off welcome to the site now down to the nitty gritty if you have a car that has rotten bodywork and a knocking engine its not worth putting back on the road to be honest as the costs involved in putting it right outweigh the amount of time and effort the car is worth when its done. if it was a special edition like a p1 or rb5 for example it might be worth it just because they are sought after. turbo 2000,s (which there is nothing wrong with) are ten a penny and can be had cheaply in perfect running order. my advice is go get one and strip your current one for any parts worth saving/selling. good luck and hope to see you on the site in a nice roadworthy one