Sponsored by:

engine builders

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2012, 04:34 PM
brayden100
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine builders

hi lads 2 questions 1st anyone know anywhere i can get my engine rebuilt at a good price for my classic sti if so can ya tel me please im wanting to forge my engine for higher bhp figures if anyone can help id be greatfull thanks and the other question is if i change my induction from panel filter to to a cone k&N will i need to remap it thanks my car is a 99 sti gc8 import
Old 10 August 2012, 04:52 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Engine rebuild, I'd take it to API. I've used them myself before and they are one of the best on here (from personal experience). You'll get other suggestions from people's good experiences too, however.

Other question: Why do you want to change your panel filter/standard airbox set-up to an induction kit? Basically on MY99-00 Subaru's (both UK and Import models), the MAF sensor (attached to air filter box) is a known weak spot. Changing to an induction kit whilst still running a MAF sensor is risky, ad induction kits on these years are known MAF killers. Dead MAF can kill your engine = not good. Unless you're running a FMIC (which would require a remap anyway), keep the standard set-up and use a decent filter such as K&N, Green Cotton, Cosworth etc.

If you do go induction, yes you'll need a remap regardless. You may also want to look at MAFless set-ups to eliminate the weak MAF sensor.

I assume your STi has been mapped already for UK fuel? Jap fuel from 1999 Imprezas was 100ron, so even V-power or Tesco Momentum won't necessarily be sufficient, unless you're using octane booster in every single tank?

Best of luck
Old 10 August 2012, 05:10 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TDracing, API, RCM, Scoobyclinic take your pick, all within an hour or so from Nottingham
Old 10 August 2012, 05:14 PM
brayden100
Scooby Regular

hi iv just had a new ecu in from jolly green monster will they have programmed it to run on uk fuel then or not i have only been using v power anyway because iv never been sure iv just understood that i have to use the highest octane fuel we have so v power it has been.
im still learning bout subarus as im new to them my next job is a fully forged engine as im looking for high bhp figures any help will be great thanks
Old 10 August 2012, 07:22 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brayden100
hi iv just had a new ecu in from jolly green monster will they have programmed it to run on uk fuel then or not i have only been using v power anyway because iv never been sure iv just understood that i have to use the highest octane fuel we have so v power it has been.
im still learning bout subarus as im new to them my next job is a fully forged engine as im looking for high bhp figures any help will be great thanks
If Simon has mapped your car he mapped it on whatever fuel was in it at the time you presented it to him for mapping and to whatever spec you were running on that day.
Your O/E air box is good on your version well beyond 350 bhp before you will gain from an efficient, large cone set up. If you change to cone now you need a remap. It is unlikely you wiil gain significant power. Depending on what new ECU you have then you may be able to ditch the MAF Sensor which allows even more space and the possibility of going to a larger cone filter, trumpet and silicon dog leg. (But you only need this if you are going past 350 bhp) Stick to the largest cone you can if you do change. Again if you do this go to a quality filter such as K+N oiled

If you are going for forged pistons and steel rods you will need bigger injectors and turbo and there are also other considerations to get the best you can out of the engine. Cost it all out carefully before you start.
Providng your existing engine is in good condition and the car is in original spec it will have a VF28 turbo and yellow 440cc injectors. The turbo will take you to somewhere between 330 and 350 bhp and the standard injectors without an FPR are likely to max out somewhere between 320 and 340 bhp so with the right supporting mods you could aim for somewhere in that bracket without spending a lot of money and any money you do spend is good groundwork for future modifications eg. ported headers and matched uppipe will improve efficiency and make getting to your goals that bit easier unless you plan a big power lift beyond 400 bhp.
In standard form, driven sensibly, well maintained, modified carefullyl and mapped properly your car will probably run happily at 380 to 400 bhp on standard internals.