Sponsored by:

Kwik Fit nightmare - good tyre fitter required

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2001, 12:57 AM
g man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Yep i would say ELITE tyres in Rainham essex got a very good service much better .Also price wise they were £30.00 cheaper per tyre on Bridgestone Potenza . I have had many problems with Kwik Fit (sh*t fit) over the years, had to write direct to the head office to a Mr Tom Farmer , and you usually get a reply and some sort of compensation but its just not worth the hassle using them anymore, Elite is way off my patch but is worth the drive for the better customer service.
Old 06 April 2001, 09:37 AM
jwhitton
Scooby Regular

I needed an emergency puncture repair and dropped the loose alloy wheel and punctured tyre off at Kwik Fit. Upon collection it looks like the fitter used a crow bar to remove the tyre and my 4000 mile old MY00 alloy looks a right mess. I have been in touch with their customer care centre and will out for a new rim.

Has anyone any advice on how I should go about getting them to supply a new rim?

Surely tyres can be replaced without marking the alloy rim?

Secondly can anyone recommend a tyre fitting place in Essex (I work in Brentwood) or Midlands/Cotswolds (live in Evesham) where I can trust them to replace a tyre without trashing the rim with lever marks?

Thanks, jon
Old 06 April 2001, 10:01 AM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

We took a friends car to kwikfit and had them fit four a509' yokos we supplied, they damaged a rim and marked all the paint. The best they would do was have the alloy re-painted by an engineering firm local.

I think u will have to take it directly up with the top end of the company as they will try not to buy u a new wheel at the shopfloor level.

rw
Old 06 April 2001, 10:07 AM
adrianl
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I have always used Jet tyres in Benfleet, they have always been good and after watching them trying to 215/40/16's on my magnesium alloy OZ's. I would recomend them to anyone (also only place I have ever found to balance wheels without weights on outside edge properly (but they do charge you more for that)

Hope they are near enough for you.

Adrian
Old 06 April 2001, 10:15 AM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

kill! kill! kill!
Old 06 April 2001, 10:18 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jon,

Elite in Rainham (on the old A13) have a good reputation for looking after alloy wheels.

Yex
Old 06 April 2001, 11:35 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

As to supplying another alloy, go straight to your nearest dealer and get Kwik fit to pay for a new rim..

I have had similar problems in the past...
Places selling top notch tyres haven't damned any of my rims... I bought some Yoko's a few times through F1 spares near Brandshatch... they fitted them each time without a scratch on the alloys..
Old 06 April 2001, 11:55 AM
lee69
Scooby Newbie

i used to work in a motorbike shop replacing the tyres there.we HAD to use plastic protective sleeves on the wheels where they met the four points on the machine.
Old 06 April 2001, 01:47 PM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Cool

Always get the dealer to do it, then it not an issue (well wouldn't be with mine).

..r
Old 06 April 2001, 01:48 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Angry

GGGGGgggggggrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

This really pisses me off!!! I've been to a few cowboy places such as the one you mention and have had several damaged rims (more on Bikes than on cars though).

For years I though it was unavoidable until I found some quality places that made zero marks on the wheels and I realised the error of my ways.

If it happened to me again I would make sure that they pay for a new wheel - small claims court if I had too....

Matt.
Old 06 April 2001, 03:13 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Dont even ask how I got this but.

Ring 0800 75 76 77, ask for the phone number of the branch reagional manager and kick off with him, or 0131 337 9200 and ask for Sir Tom Farmer, tell him what happened & that being a new wheel you want it replaced, tell him how much a new wheel will cost.

Good luck.
Old 06 April 2001, 07:15 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

As I work in the trade I don't like to see garages getting slagged off but for me you can slate kwik sh*t all you like! They are incompetent money grabbing to**ers! My brother went for a check up on his Capri, the guy was busy telling him he needed this and that whilst lowering the car on the lift. With about six inches left before the car touched the floor Pete enquired whether or not the wheels were to be refitted!

I'd definately recomend going to your dealer or finding a friendly local garage, your local will generally beat the likes of kwik fit anyway!

Bob
Old 06 April 2001, 08:30 PM
Luke
BANNED

WEB MASTER.
This is terrible. Close this topic before "Kwick Krap" takes your *** to court!!!. We must not be allowed to continue to slag the ****errs off....
Old 06 April 2001, 08:33 PM
Luke
BANNED

Web Master

Not a dig just a thought!!

Cheers for such a great website.
Old 06 April 2001, 09:01 PM
JC
Scooby Regular

Just to balance it up a bit. I have used Kwik fit at Leigh on Sea Essex and the have been diamond. Matched the Elite price for Yoko's and fitted they perfectly.
Also Fitted Slicks - Free
Balanced Slicks - Free
Put new tyres on my wifes Mondeo - Checked and adjusted tracking at the same time - Free.
Lastly had a pucture on the Scooby guess what they fixed it for FREE.

It really depends on the guys doing the fitting.

Elite at Rainham are good and I use them fr any tracking stuff as they have all the best gear.
Old 06 April 2001, 09:22 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

Angry

"You can't get better than a Kwik Fit Fitter"
Hmmmm !

Old 06 April 2001, 10:34 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry 2 hear boiut u r wheel Jon,
Sounds like u got all the **** fitters down south He should`ve used the plastic inserts on the fitting machine.
Been using various Kwik Fit Depots in NE Scotland for bout the past 10 years without a single scratch on any of my rims etc. Tell u wot I wouldn`t take my mota anywhere else for tyre fitting

Pete
Old 09 April 2001, 12:32 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It really does depend on the individual fitter. KF in High Wycombe did my old Audi 90 Quattro with one of the best Ali balances (stick on weights on the inside of the rim not tap on rim killers)I have had done. Not a mark to be seen.

At the risk of being ageist talk to the guys that look like they have been there more than 5 minutes.

Ian
Old 09 April 2001, 12:03 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Angry

Have to agree that on the whole Kwik Fit are pants. Had 2 tyres replaced on last car (Merc. Kompressor) and they damaged the wheels and 'forgot' to balance them. Both wheels were reffinished by a local company, who made an excellent job of them, but it took nearly 3 days!! Branch manager blamed apprentice who he should have been supervising anyway. Class. Best around Leeds are Alba Tyres or Troy Autopoint IMHO.

TONY
Old 17 April 2001, 01:36 PM
jwhitton
Scooby Regular

Guys,

Whats the story with refurbishment of the alloys. Kwik Fit want to refurb the alloy but I am sceptical since wont it be different to all the other wheels?
Do they just rub it down and repaint it?

jon