Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive carefully...

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2002, 04:38 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I travel to work across winding B roads.
Love to thrash the car when safe but always careful through villages.
Thing is, idiots always try to prove a point by catching me up and doing 50-60mph in 30 limit.
White van man did this yesterday but i refused to be provoked...
Next thing i knew we came upon a sickening sight of an child who'd been knocked off his bike, ambulance there, mum frantic etc.
Makes you think...
Either the driver was speeding or the child was still alive because he wasn't?
Old 09 May 2002, 05:27 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hope the kid was ok.

The scary thing for me is the amount of parents in MPVs I see on the school run recently, clearly with no idea where the speedo is let alone what number it's displaying. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Get em on a national speed limit road, and they'll sit at 40mph. Get em in a village or a school and they'll carry on at the same speed wherever possible. WTF is up with that then.

The most hazardous time/place of the day to drive, has gotta be near schools when the kids are on their way in. If any of us did the same thing with a scoobysport backbox we'd be branded maniacs, old blokes waving walking sticks etc...

Whip
Old 09 May 2002, 05:36 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Quite agree with you both.

The times I've followed someone in a '60' doing '50', into a '30' still doing '50' is shocking.

My Mrs is a clasic example of doing '40' in a '30'. When I point it out to her she normally moans saying "well the person in front is going the same speed" ... would you put your head in an oven if I did, is my reply.

J
Old 09 May 2002, 05:56 PM
WrxStiTypeRV5
Scooby Regular

Yup

U have hit the nail right on the head!

I keep to speed limits in town where anybody or anything could pull or jump out. See many politically correct hypocrites tearing up and down with scant regard for the law. These are the people police should be targetting.

When that national speed limit sign appears, then for me it is a licence to let rip. Not like a maniac but with controlled bursts of power. But then u get some moron who regularly speeds thru town gving u the bird or flashing those damn headlights.

At end of day my driving philsophy is: within built-up areas respect is a must but outside town in relatively light traffic then 'FFS' give her some!

Why make cars that can break the limit? You can speed in a safe manner without endangering life!

Those damn (50 in a 60 limit and 50 in a 30 limit)hypocrites are the dangers to society.

Anyway Rant over!
Old 09 May 2002, 07:03 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

What about me on my mountain bike around the next bend on that B road...?
Old 09 May 2002, 07:19 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

It always amazes me what people do on the roads which they think is perfectly safe. The number of people who have no idea what happens when they have to brake hard or the stopping power of a car such as an scooby. I also think about 90% of people that drive on the Motorways only concentrate on the car in front and have no awarness about what is going on around them. You can almost see how scared some people are when they drive on the Motorway and most of the time the chaos is caused by them.

Today I was cut up by an old bloke who did not know how to stay in lane when going round a roundabout and witnessed an car driving at 90Mph+ with both parents belted up and the bady in the back alone climbing all over the parcel shelf looking out of the back window. WTF are these people on, don't they know how dangerous a car can be.

I do agree that people carriers and 4x4 are by far the worse and a lot of people still beleive that doing 40 is OK in a 20 and 30 zones. These people also tend to refer to the inside lane of the motorway as the lorry lane or slow lane.

I have also noticed that jumping red lights has now become more of less the norm for some people (don't get me started about red lights and cyclists who think it's OK to go straight through a red light).

Si

Old 09 May 2002, 08:27 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

"What about me on my mountain bike around the next bend on that B road...? "
I don't drive on your mountain.....so keep off my road
Old 09 May 2002, 10:20 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

>>>I have also noticed that jumping red lights has now become more of less the norm for some people (don't get me started about red lights and cyclists who think it's OK to go straight through a red light).<<<

As a regular cyclist (and driver) I can agree with this. When cycling I try to respect drivers, and I certainly respect the highway code. There are plenty who don't though and I disagree with it whole heartedly.

However, from the cyclist point of view I get very little respect from any vechicle on the road. What everyone seems to forget is that even if I ride like a complete ********, do I deserve to be killed for it? Think how unprotected a cyclist is from even the smallest of impacts.

>>>I don't drive on your mountain.....so keep off my road<<<

As a closing point following the last quote, and before anyone moans that a cyclist doesnt pay any road tax. Just remember that it was the CTC (Cycle Touring Club) that instigated the building of non cobbled roads to begin with! :-)

All road users should respect one another whatever their transport means. We all have to make an effort...

Peace

Matt

Old 09 May 2002, 10:53 PM
Haggistrap
Scooby Regular

I agree with you all. It really pisses me off when folk speed in 30's and sit at aroung 40-50 in a 60 zone. Cann't help thinking that the police really do not care about stopping drivers speeding in 30's but go out of their way to catch people like me doing 71 in a 60 (3 points £40 fine!!!)
Old 09 May 2002, 11:17 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I've no problem with mountain bikers, I used to be one before I got mi beer belly the chaps on racers tho[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] what's wrong with single file... and whats up with trying to keep a reasonably straight line, somewhere near the side of the road?!!
Old 10 May 2002, 12:59 AM
Jap Cars Mad
Scooby Regular

Angry

The thing that annoys me about speed limits etc, is that they are designed as a guide, everyone treats them as an indication of the speed you are supposed to do.
Example:- Person driving at 30mph in a 30mph area, knocks someone over....."but I wasn't speeding, it's the pedestrians fault".....WRONG you WERE driving too fast, if you were driving slower, you aould not have hit/had less chance of hitting that human being.

School run drives me up the bloody wall. By far the most dangerous place on our roads is outside schools, not only for the fact that kids are running about, but also the amount of parked cars that SHOULD NOT BLOODY WELL BE THERE!!!!!!!!! I walked to school, never done me no harm. Thing is, you would bloody hear those parents if a kid walked into the road in between 2 parked MPV's (higher car, less chance of seeing someone walking in between them).

I can understand people driving their kids to school if they lived on a farm in the countryside for example, but some of these kids live 5-10 minutes walk away.
Old 10 May 2002, 10:23 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hey BOB.T you are right about those roadies. What is with them riding in packs when traffic is Q'd behind 'em? Not co-operative attitude is it?!

Jap Cars Mad - Didn't do me any harm either to walk to school everyday, come rain or shine.

I actually start work late and finish late nowadays to miss the morning school traffic.
Old 10 May 2002, 12:14 PM
Year One Racing
Scooby Regular

Lanes around roundabouts seem to be ignored all together now. I always hang back or they will scythe across your bows and take you out.

How about overtaking people in a 60 then hitting a town slowing to 30 and having the idiot you just overtook come screaming past you in the 30 at 50! Well done you must be a big man...
Old 10 May 2002, 12:29 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Angry

What is it with people who struggle to understand the concept of a roundabout.

I was on a dual carraigeway in my MY95, I am in the right-hand lane and am planning to go straight ahead.

I am in the right-hand lane as the left lane contains around 7 or 8 lorries and the right-hand lane is clear.

I am on the roundabout and just about to come off as the old red Fiesta beside me in the left hand lane swings right round to go right, if I hadn't had a slight suspicion and eased off she would have went straight into me.

I felt a bit aggrieved by this and decided to follow the car and speak to the driver (not road rage or fighting or anything just have a word).

The driver was a young woman in her early 20's, she had a young baby in the car and this is what I said to her

"Do you realise you were in the left hand lane and you travelled right around the roundabout nearly taking my front end off?"

Her response "What do you mean?, you were in the right-hand lane and you tried to go straight ahead you idiot!!"

What can you say to these people???

I just had to walk away and scream insanities into the air.
Old 10 May 2002, 12:29 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

I hate to follow the crowd but your all damnn right, the majority of the 40mph everywhere clan's do indeed stick to the 40mph religously, if you over take them in a national speed limit road then they get all flustered and beep or flash, and then whilst the main of the traffic slows to 20-30 their right up ya chuff again.

I had a bloke do this to me everyday for a week, driving an MPV like he was on a bike, and he made it a point to bust his guts to get in front of me cutting around lanes etc.. he nearly had several accidents being a complete loony, i reported him and was told they (police) could do squat......so now, i do man damm best get the jump at the lights up to 30mph 1st & get in his lane (MPV is left three car lengths back!) and drive at 25mph, traffic blocks him in and he is forced to go under the limit until we get to the National limit and i'm off....Am i doing wrong i feel like a little hitler but i feel somebody has to do something ?

Phill
Old 10 May 2002, 12:49 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Probably not the right thing to do, but maybe it's the only way.

I get alot of people staying in the over taking lane (fast lane) on dual-carriage ways with me behind them ... trying to get past.

I pull over to the left behind them, and they still keep going faster and faster.

I had a 3.0 Senator (not a cop car) do this to me last week on the A27. He got up to 100mph with me behind him on the left. Would he move over? would he heck!

As much as I hate to say it (and I know I was in the wrong) I blitzed past him the left hand lane at xxxmph, he then flashes me and wave's his fist ?!?!?!?

Sad.

J.
Old 10 May 2002, 12:55 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Talking

Good on you J

We've all been there!!