Sponsored by:

Short shift MY05 Sti ? Spec c oem ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2012, 09:51 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Short shift MY05 Sti ? Spec c oem ?

This was a mod I dropped on my classic and enjoyed but looking at the UK 05 Sti nothing appears available, am I correct in thinking the standard spec c oem linkage is a short shift set up that would fit on mine if I was able to locate one?

It may not be financially viable but would be interested to find if it was something that could be done. I know the one thing that stops the private kit on mine is the fact that reverse is lifted which makes the replacement slightly more complex to make and fit.

Cheers
Simon
Old 28 July 2012, 11:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Spec C does come fitted with a standard STI quick shift, it will fit any 6 speed box if I am not mistaken

Tony
Old 29 July 2012, 08:08 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Simon, i believe there might be 3 or more "different" type of linkages for the 6mt.

I have driven a MY07 UK STI on a regular basis and the shift definitely feels different from my MY07 Spec C. There is definitely more play between shifts in the UK car which sometimes makes it easier to get into gears, but i'm not quite sure if the shifts are shorter? If anything, it could be the reduction in play that gives the feel of shorter strokes.

A quick check on their part numbers show them up as different as well. The difference in part numbers could mean different hardness in the bushings in the linkage (i.e. Spec C being equipped with harder bushings) - which could explain the difference in shift feel in the Spec C.

Then there is the 'optional' short shift kit that Subaru sells for the GDB. Supposedly to shorten shifts by 10%. I doubt Subaru would equip this in the Spec C as it makes more business sense to sell them as an optional part.

STI 'optional' short shift kit

And let's not forget the Group N competition gear shift linkage which uses solid metal bearings and machined plastic bushings for zero compliance.

STI competition shift kit

So in short. Would the Spec C shift linkage make a difference? Yes, but the STI optional short shift kit is probably what you want as a proper short shift kit.

Regards
Errol
Old 29 July 2012, 08:52 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The Spec C does come fitted with a standard STI quick shift, it will fit any 6 speed box if I am not mistaken

Tony
I was hoping you popped your head up thanks Tony the most budget friendly way will be to see if there is a breaker with a spec c box but we both know that's easy to say, second option is to price a part from the states as the yen is still shot to bits.

And Errol that is great thanks for putting that together I see what your saying there regarding the 3 different items, many thanks for the info as that gives me a much better understanding on what is available all together. The pictures show just how different it is to a 5 speed model.

Regards
Simon

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 29 July 2012 at 08:53 AM.