Checking my engine oil.....

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2012, 06:24 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Checking my engine oil.....

Hi,

Ok, this is gonna make me sound like a complete muppet but hey, everyone is a newbie sometime! (although this is my 2nd Scoob!)

I'm having trouble with getting an accurate reading on my engine oil dipstick. The side with the L and the F reads about a centimeter below the F, but the other side of the dipstick shows the oil level at F.

Is it safer to go by the L and the F side reading and top it up, or is the other side perhaps touching something at the bottom of the dipstick tube as I pull it out?

The car is parked level on the driveway, and I dipped / wiped the dipstick several times, but don't want to overfill it with oil.

Many thanks,
Old 07 July 2012, 06:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

click here: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/914162-hawkeye-dipstick-oil-level.html#post10343756
Old 07 July 2012, 06:37 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've discovered one of the annoying facets of Subaru ownership!
It seems the dipstick tube tends to hold oil and getting an accurate reading on the stick is a real PITA I've resorted pushing a thin tube down the dipstick tube just to clean it before putting the stick back in then out for a reading! It's a common problem.

JohnD
Old 07 July 2012, 06:47 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Glad it's not just me!

Many thanks for this, and I did notice the wicking on the dipstick too.
Old 07 July 2012, 06:47 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There terrible cars for checking oil, when u pull the dipstick out it drags oil up and gives a bad reading, i found the best way to check is i take the dipstick out the night before, so the oil runs back down the tube, then put dipstick back in in the morning and check, gets a decent reading.
Jay
Old 07 July 2012, 09:02 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I never had a problem ..... but then I've owned cars for many decades - just do it 3 times and take the average - sorted!!

As for leaving it out all night, well, could be a bit extreme - but if it works for you ...... reminds me of the **** on here who soaked his oil filter overnight, re-visiting it every 20 minutes through the night to top it up!!!

I kid you not - it really did get that embarrassing on here in the old days - I had some fun

Some people shouldn't really be let out .....
Old 07 July 2012, 09:06 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
I never had a problem ..... but then I've owned cars for many decades - just do it 3 times and take the average - sorted!!

As for leaving it out all night, well, could be a bit extreme - but if it works for you ...... reminds me of the **** on here who soaked his oil filter overnight, re-visiting it every 20 minutes through the night to top it up!!!

I kid you not - it really did get that embarrassing on here in the old days - I had some fun

Lol its not that bad, open bonnet take dipstick out shut bonnet and check in morning like normal. once a week, perfect reading on it.
Jay
Old 07 July 2012, 09:10 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
Lol its not that bad, open bonnet take dipstick out shut bonnet and check in morning like normal. once a week, perfect reading on it.
Jay

Old 08 July 2012, 11:02 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

I've owned many cars since the '60s and both the Imprezas I've owned are by far the worst for getting an accurate oil level reading!

JohnD
Old 08 July 2012, 11:16 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Pete: you've never had a newage car, so don't really know this problem.
Plus you now drive a hairdresser's car.