Sponsored by:

Warranty direct experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2012, 09:17 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty direct experiences?

Anyone used them or been successful? Im interested to hear experiences when people have had to make a claim.

Ive been looking at their terms and conditions and Im a bit confused. For example they say that the part needs to have a suffered a break down before they cover it.

"Breakdown means the sudden and unexpected failure of a component arising from any permanent mechanical or electronic fault, which causes the component to stop working, and means that it needs repairing or replacing before it will work properly."
So Im reading that this doesnt cover intermittent faults.

However it then states

You should use all reasonable means and precautions to protect your vehicle from further damage. We will not pay for repairs caused by your failure to look after your vehicle.

Am I missing something here? You cannot claim on something that hasnt completely failed but then if you continue driving to make if fail you invalidate your claim as well.
Old 06 July 2012, 09:28 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
Anyone used them or been successful? Im interested to hear experiences when people have had to make a claim.

Ive been looking at their terms and conditions and Im a bit confused. For example they say that the part needs to have a suffered a break down before they cover it.

So Im reading that this doesnt cover intermittent faults.

However it then states

Am I missing something here? You cannot claim on something that hasnt completely failed but then if you continue driving to make if fail you invalidate your claim as well.
Sounds about right for a warranty and the very reason I would never pay for one again.

We had one a few years ago on my wife's X5, when one of the front callipers seized on they wouldn't pay out, according to them calliper failure is caused by road dirt and corrosion rather than a sudden failure and therefore not covered. You could argue that about anything...
Old 06 July 2012, 09:32 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Most warranty's are not worth the paper there written on.
Old 06 July 2012, 09:34 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

They actually state that they cover calipers on their high level cover. I wonder what this is for then? If it suddenly cracks? This could be caused by freezing, also not covered.

I have a warranty direct warranty that came with the car and am going through the terms and to be honest have no piece of mind what so ever in the clauses. Surely this is the very reason you get warranties in the first place.
Old 06 July 2012, 09:37 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Yes callipers were covered on ours, but only for sudden failure.....
Old 06 July 2012, 09:41 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

How ridiculous.Would this not be deemed as an 'unfair term' and be laughed out of court?
I had a caliper sieze on mine but as it was £120 to replace and my excess is £150 I couldnt claim.
Old 06 July 2012, 09:45 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Maybe from this they do cover intermittent faults.

"Breakdown means the sudden and unexpected failure of a component arising from any permanent mechanical or electronic fault, which causes the component to stop working, and means that it needs repairing or replacing before it will work properly."
If its on/off then the time it doesnt work is a failure and needs replacing before it will "work properly" i.e. all the time. Its not at all clear though if it does mean this.
Old 06 July 2012, 09:50 PM
scoobyraj
Scooby Regular

I used warranty wise in the past. Never again. I had the most comprehensive cover and they did whatever they could to refuse to pay on a legitimate claim. About 10 months of emails and complaints and I managed to get back roughly what I paid for the policy. Not worth it. Never again. It gives no peace of mind. I can't comment on all companies but this has put me off ever entering into another extended warranty scheme. Better off trying to save the money on the side 'just in case'.
Only took the warranty out because Litchfield recommended the policy. They also had lots of hassle since they were running the repairs (and supplied the warranty) -I was told clearly that they wouldn't be recommending them again -Jenny and Iain had both had enough!
By all means go for it but read everything very carefully.....there's always a way to say 'it's wear and tear' and hence not pay out.
Old 06 July 2012, 09:55 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

After working in the motortrade for over 20 years & having to listen to the ridiculous reasons for claim rejection I personally would never waste my money on one of these policies. Save the premium fees for when your car breaks down because the warranty won't pay out for anything.
Old 06 July 2012, 09:57 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
Most warranty's are not worth the paper there written on.
Spot on .......
Old 06 July 2012, 11:26 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

What are their warranties sold for? Typically £400-£600?
Old 06 July 2012, 11:41 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
What are their warranties sold for? Typically £400-£600?
even if it was a pound thats a pound more than they are worth by the sounds of it
Old 07 July 2012, 01:56 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

So basically these policies are writtern on andrex?
Old 07 July 2012, 09:38 AM
amego
Scooby Regular

Thay didn't pay out for me years ago as I serviced the car every 6000 miles rather than the shedueled 10000 pliks
Old 07 July 2012, 10:18 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waste of money - I got one included when I purchased a 'daily driver' recently and read it through carefully. One of the paragraphs states that if a component fails then they will only pay for that component, not any damage that results from its failure. So presumably if your oil pump gives up the ghost and wrecks your engine you get a free oil pump: great
Old 07 July 2012, 10:22 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I inherited one when I bought my first scoob, when the paperwork was transfered over to my name they had inserted a clause limiting every claim to £1k I complained but they never did remove it! Dumped the ***** when it ran out

TX.
Old 07 July 2012, 02:32 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

they make up the reliability index dont they, based on cars that they have paid out for. They cant refuse all of the time otherwise there would be no index...and surely the FAS would step in.
Old 07 July 2012, 05:12 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Can I ask for all those that have had refused claims from WD were they dealer supplied warranties and did you have an inspector come and look at the car?

From my warranty it sounds like I need to take it back to the dealer who then phones them up and sorts it out on my behalf.