Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should the For Sale sections be invisible to Non-Paying users?
Yes
35.85%
No
64.15%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

For sale section

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2012, 08:44 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default For sale section

Close it fully to paying members or not?

Yes or No, it's really that simple. I've even added a poll to be helpful.
Old 03 July 2012, 08:46 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

poll?
Old 03 July 2012, 08:47 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have to post the thread and then allowed to add the poll.

It's up there. ^^^
Old 03 July 2012, 08:49 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say no as when selling something i want it to be seen by maximum amount of people.

what p1sses me off though is when others try to sell stuff in peoples for sale threads,especially non members.

perhaps an option to delete these posts would be better.
Old 03 July 2012, 08:53 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

i dont agree with hijacking other peoples for sale threads to advertise your own items without paying but isnt that what moderators are supposed to watch out for? (they do a great job by the way) by making it visible only to paying members you are cutting down the audience to which your advert reaches and scoobynet stops being a great source of parts to many fellow scooby owners.
Old 03 July 2012, 08:57 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by zippy!
i dont agree with hijacking other peoples for sale threads to advertise your own items without paying but isnt that what moderators are supposed to watch out for? (they do a great job by the way) by making it visible only to paying members you are cutting down the audience to which your advert reaches and scoobynet stops being a great source of parts to many fellow scooby owners.

if mods are reading here's a question.

if the person selling reported a post from someone else trying to sell items in their thread would you delete it and inform the offender via pm??

if the answer is yes then the selling section is ok as it is in my opinion.
Old 03 July 2012, 08:59 PM
Badger_88
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
i say no as when selling something i want it to be seen by maximum amount of people.
Agreed! That's one of the reasons I signed up on here. I had been using the forum for some time before that as a non registered user and had seen some nice parts being sold so thought I'd sign up to be able to contact the sellers.
Old 03 July 2012, 09:36 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Either make it fair for all and charge a membership to gain access to the market place or don't bother with the poxy memberships full stop and let everyone get on with it.

Maybe we should get a poll up for those who feel short changed by tight ***** being able to trade on here via Pm's or thread hijacking and getting away with not paying membership......
Old 03 July 2012, 09:43 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Maybe the seller / person paying for that thread should be able to delete certain posts in their thread.i know admin can give access rights to members to do this... (well on certain web services anyways.)
Old 03 July 2012, 10:00 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Non paying members should be able to read but not post in the for sale sections, and I also think PM'ing should be restricted somehow like 6 months (if you're not a paid member, or certain amount of posts). I'm sure this is used on another forum
Old 03 July 2012, 10:09 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What about everyone can view but only paid can post up
That way everyone can see but trolls can ruin threads
Genuine buyers can pm seller ?
Old 03 July 2012, 11:43 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by wrx9181
This is one of the major problems. Trading goes on behind closed doors and people are dealing with non-paying members, trying to get around the rules already in place. And like it or not, the majority of scammers have been non-paying members.

I do think, even if the section isn't locked down completely, only paying members should be allowed to post. I still don't understand why, only paying members can start a thread (FS or Wanted) but anyone can reply?????
Old 03 July 2012, 11:55 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
if mods are reading here's a question.

if the person selling reported a post from someone else trying to sell items in their thread would you delete it and inform the offender via pm??

if the answer is yes then the selling section is ok as it is in my opinion.
In answer to your question, yes. However, that relies on somebody actually reporting the post.

There is no way on earth the mods can read every thread in the marketplace in order to keep on top of that, so we would rely on RTMs. Of course such posts would be removed, they are, but like I say, it depends on if they are reported. Another thing to consider, there will be times that mods may not be online, and as a result such a post could sit there until one was available to delete it.
Old 04 July 2012, 08:12 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx9181
Think that's not a bad idea

And to stop non paying members pm'ing the seller then make private messaging a paid member featue, especially Lisa if you state that a majority of the scammers are non paying members then should it not be down to the mods and site runners to come up with a way of stopping it happen rather than let it continue and this may be a solution.

Just a thought
Old 04 July 2012, 09:08 AM
Evo Son
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Maybe the seller / person paying for that thread should be able to delete certain posts in their thread.i know admin can give access rights to members to do this... (well on certain web services anyways.)
Fully agree with this.
I've recently put up my scoob for sale only for someone to post negative comments about it putting other potential buyers off.
Old 04 July 2012, 11:40 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the bigger problem is that non members can view the wanted section. I don't have a problem with them viewing the for sale section because it's the ones that see a wanted advert and reply by pm and scam the buyer Simply locking down the wanted section would cut a lot of this.
Old 04 July 2012, 04:01 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

I think the whole lot is rather petty tbh, I understand the selling parts IF it secured you won't get scammed but it don't, all it is for is revenue nothing to do with helping members

Though I'm not a paid member so my opinion don't count but I have bought off another forum a fecked turbo and told the postman damaged it(cracked zorst housing) and I paid strong money for it too and was off a person who not only is still trading there he mods the forum now specifically the for sale section

Oh how can I forget I also got personal threats off the chump for telling the truth so the paid forum member rubbish is nothing to do with "trust" as the members are who make the forum and they naturally regulate it, spending money to a huge company does nothing at all and enough money is made from adds to pay fir servers ect before that card is thrown in
Old 04 July 2012, 04:28 PM
Scooby B
Scooby Regular

Whats stopping a scammer becoming a paid SN member then still scamming members after he paid? Only people who would benefit from this would be the SN owners as they would get £18 or what ever a membership costs from each scammer who joined.
Old 04 July 2012, 04:51 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

I cant believe this has been mentioned,,,, £2 a month will not deter anyone (scammers incuded) from selling , point blank.

And as for making for sale threads only visable to paying members is another stupid idea, this will only benefit the site owners financially whilst the sellers will indeed struggle to sell things.