Sponsored by:

Shell V-Power

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2012, 09:33 PM
Matt Bristol
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shell V-Power

Hi, What is the reason for running a Subaru on V-Power?

I always run mine on V-Power because I have been told to only run it on V-Power by several people that I know.

I was just wondering what is the advantage? and why do need to?

Cheers.
Old 01 July 2012, 09:34 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

The engine map on a lot of models only allows for certain octane fuels to be used. Or if you have your car remapped (like I have) you'll have it mapped for a certain grade of fuel for more power gains - I use Tesco 99 which is basically the same as V-power
Old 01 July 2012, 09:37 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

It's 99 Ron and has the highest 'average' Ron number of any readily available fuel.
There is less chance of DET using a higher octane fuel. Keep using it fella, or try the tesco momentum stuff. Many use the tesco 99 fuel without issue but if shell is near by I'd reccomend that.
Old 01 July 2012, 09:38 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Also

Most jap imports are run on Jap high octane fuel, so when imported they need the same fuel or as near as damn it, thus 99 Ron.

You can map for any petrol, so if you want supermarket 95 Ron as its cheaper you can map for it, but expect a loss in power, 15-20bhp ???.

Rob
Old 01 July 2012, 09:39 PM
Matt Bristol
Scooby Regular

oh ok. So could I run mine on any high octane fuel? e.g. Tesco or sainsburys?
or does it specifically have to be V-Power?

Mine is a standard 1999 turbo 2000

thanks
Old 01 July 2012, 09:46 PM
poolio74
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Bristol

thanks
Sainsburys is only 97ron.Ideally v power(99) or tesco(99)
Old 01 July 2012, 09:48 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

If yours is standard and a UK model as you say, you can safely run it on normal unleaded in fairness. I personally wouldn't but you can. Sainsburys and the likes unleaded is 97ron, but only V-power and Tesco have genuine 99ron fuel readily available. Unless I'm told different.

I used to use Shell but found it was more expensive for essentially the same fuel as Tesco's were providing so switched with no ill effects
Old 01 July 2012, 09:53 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Bristol

thanks
The highest octaine Sainsburys do in 97ron. Best to stick to v-power or tesco momentum. You cant over do the ron rating, only under do it.
Old 01 July 2012, 10:00 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Map for 95 Ron and 20% meth cheapest all round option LOL
Old 02 July 2012, 07:25 AM
dyfiboy
Scooby Newbie

V-POWER ALL THE WAY... better fuel milage as well, i went to paignton in south devon from wolverhampton a few weeks ago filled her up cost me close to 70quid used just under half a tank read the mileage did just under 200 miles so really it cost me 35 quid which is very good
Old 02 July 2012, 09:53 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dyfiboy
V-POWER ALL THE WAY... better fuel milage as well, i went to paignton in south devon from wolverhampton a few weeks ago filled her up cost me close to 70quid used just under half a tank read the mileage did just under 200 miles so really it cost me 35 quid which is very good
I don't think you can use the fuel guage for an accurate reading.

Car on slope affects gauge?
Fuel guage calibration?
How much fuel in before filling?
Price per Litre?
Old 02 July 2012, 10:25 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Double post

Last edited by Infected by sti; 02 July 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02 July 2012, 10:29 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Its been known with the local shell garage to me that the v power has not always sold fast enough resulting in the ron dropping, may be the case else where with it as well as only people with the need for v power will buy it down to the cost, so as a result the stocks are left sitting in the tanks for longer period of times, this had come from the guy behind the forecourt, he told us the story and showed us his last delivery log which turned out to be almost 3 weeks prior, his exact words were " i shouldn't tell you this as we will be loosing money, but the v power is often left sitting for a few weeks as we dont sell a great deal of it, but think tescos fill there stocks with every delivery, im only telling you this because you guys are always here and i know you spend a great deal of money on them so thought you should know"

So just to let others know out there, i still use the shell when passing and cant say i have ever noticed any difference but it was nice to be given an option and told the score with regards to the fuel!

Last edited by Infected by sti; 02 July 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02 July 2012, 08:54 PM
poolio74
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Its been known with the local shell garage to me that the v power has not always sold fast enough resulting in the ron dropping, may be the case else where with it as well as only people with the need for v power will buy it down to the cost, so as a result the stocks are left sitting in the tanks for longer period of times, this had come from the guy behind the forecourt, he told us the story and showed us his last delivery log which turned out to be almost 3 weeks prior, his exact words were " i shouldn't tell you this as we will be loosing money, but the v power is often left sitting for a few weeks as we dont sell a great deal of it, but think tescos fill there stocks with every delivery, im only telling you this because you guys are always here and i know you spend a great deal of money on them so thought you should know"

So just to let others know out there, i still use the shell when passing and cant say i have ever noticed any difference but it was nice to be given an option and told the score with regards to the fuel!
I use both v power and tesco99,and have done for some time and must admit ive had hit and miss with v power.Usually its very good i.e good throttle response and nice smooth pick up.But on a few occasions it seems flat,like ive filled up with normal unleaded. For what its worth in my experiance tesco99 seems to be more consistant.
Old 02 July 2012, 08:59 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti

He's wrong unfortunately. Having spoken to the guys at Tesco when I fill up, he confirmed that the 99ron stuff comes from a different refinery at different sporadic times over the delivery of normal diesel and unleaded
Old 02 July 2012, 09:57 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

So could be the same everywhere really, funny tho how its advertised at 99 ron, yet they can leave stock sit in tanks for weeks on end in some places i'd imagine and the ron level drops!

Suppose its down to the location of the station really as well, as the shell by me is on a semi busy road but the tescos is on a main streem bypass so would have thought they would get through more of it more often or thats what ill keep telling myself at least lol
Old 02 July 2012, 10:24 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Fuel in tanks at the forecourt would last months before starting to go 'off'

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/557467
Old 02 July 2012, 11:41 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

The fuel wouldn't lose any Ron numbers after just three weeks chap.

Personally, I think it's all in people's heads when they say their car felt different on different fuel.
Old 03 July 2012, 06:11 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Agree with Matty. V-Power or Momentum, there isn't I discernable difference. Couple mpgs maybe but you have to take into account conditions, ambient temp. etc.
Old 03 July 2012, 07:09 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I cant say i have ever noticed a difference, never thought any different about it tbh, just remembered tha guy tellin us in the station so i just assumed he knew what he was on about lol, not something i ever paid alot of attention too its just one of them things where your on auto pilot putting fuel in really, still gonna need it what ever the out come

Last edited by Infected by sti; 03 July 2012 at 07:10 AM.