Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Req.. Touring Europe this summer

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2000, 12:55 AM
Mark Green
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland is lovely and the driving is awesome.

If you change your plans and go South into Italy DON'T drive to Venice. The car park insist that you leave your car unlocked with keys in. You can guess what I did .....
yep I told them to ******** stick it **** ****! and did not leave the car.

Austria is very nice too.

Black Forest in Germany is a bit dull (IMHO.)

Mark
Old 14 January 2000, 10:19 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

I'm off touring a few European countries this July/August and need some advice...
I've driven hire cars etc in the States and Spain but I've never taken my own car before. I know about documents ( V5, green card etc.) but
1. H/lamps, are they supposed to have this awfull yellow tint still ?
2. Beam deflectors obviously but how do you fit them correctly on clear H/Lamps in the new 99 Impreza ?
3. German Autobahn's....Any advice here ?
4. I'm off to both Holland and the Swiss Alps any body got any advice for these places ?

Thanx in advance
K
Old 14 January 2000, 10:43 AM
NickF
Scooby Regular

1 No need for headlamp tints.

2 Good idea to stick those little headlamp dip deflector thingys on, no point in blinding people. Halfords sell a 'make your own' kit - basically, cut the right sort of shape, stick it on. Not difficult.

3 Er, GLF? Actually, don't go mad unless it's derestricted. Lots of the autobahn network isn't, and some which IS can only be described as crap. Imagine doing 150mph on some of the curvier bits of the A1 and you'll have hit the nail on the head. Also, and I say this with due respect to all Scooby turbo owners, don't try to mess with the big boys - the 911s will sit about 2 feet from your bumper, indicator going and headlamps on full beam, until you pull over. You CAN'T outrun them - I tried on a ZZR1100 and failed. Same for S-class Mercedes and big BMWs, though they tend to be limited to 155-160. Traffic will probably keep you below 100-120 mph in any case.

4 Holland - the police have 911s. And radar on the motorway. Roads are **** boring anyway. Swiss Alps - you'll need a motorway permit. The curvy roads are just amazing, especially as you climb out of Annecy and head to the ski areas.Made for 4wd/turbo - I had great fun with a GT4 there a few years back
Old 14 January 2000, 01:20 PM
spence
Scooby Regular

Northern Italy is vary similar to Germany in that they drive incredible fast, they are all in big BM's and Merc's, all with ski's on the top. They will flash you from about a mile back and woe betide if you don't move out of the way for them.... they will even hassle and horn the coppers. Oh yeh coppers on the Italian motorway, don't worry to much about them, they don't care what is going on they are too busy talking, smoking, making sure they look good... etc.

Enjoy the Alps.... forget the tunnels, use the passes if you can they are awsome,espically if you are not keen on heights like me...
Old 14 January 2000, 01:44 PM
Devils Advocate
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Watch out for the Autobahn between Koln (Cologne) and Frankfurt if driving at night it is a little twisty round here!

Generally good advice contained here, save for the moving over part, do not move over unless safe to do so, no matter who is sitting behind you and what they are doing!

If you enter Switzerland via a minor road then you will avoid paying for the annual motorway pass (approx £30), worth the risk if you are just passing through!).

Warning Italian drivers are probably the worst you will come across, definately a case for defensive driving here! And leave plenty of scope for delays, (Motorway blocks due to accidents in Italy are part of everyday driving).

One final point, leave plenty of space between you and the car in front, the drivers on the continent will usually view this as an invitation to fill the gap (they drive too close), but maintain your distance at all times.

Have Fun !
Old 14 January 2000, 03:14 PM
NickF
Scooby Regular

Re Devil's Advocate's comments, the reason I said that pulling over is a good idea is that it's frankly unnerving to have a nutter a foot from your backside when you're the wrong (right??) side of 150mph. Of course you only pull over when it's safe, but having seen the aftermath of a couple of very high speed shunts in Germany, I'd favour caution every time.

Not that there are many cars which could give you this problem, mind you!
Old 14 January 2000, 03:39 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Hi,
We did this last summer for our honeymoon. Took the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam before driving through Holland to Germany staying near Koblenz. Then drove down the Autobahn to Austria, through Austria to Vienna (you need a window sticker in Austria which you buy at the border). Then back through Austria through the Alps and down through Italy (toll motorways) to Venice. Parked in Venice at the carpark as mentioned above. HOWEVER... Although it says you have to leave you keys and car open, if you park on the top level you don't have to. (Thank fu**). Only got a couple of dints in my door which I think I got away lightly ! Then across Italy to Florence. Then up the coast round to Monaco (and you have to get a few laps in don't you). Then up to Lyons (don't forget if you do motor it on the French Toll roads they'll time you, so you might have to "lose" your ticket). Then Eurodisney, the home on the channel tunnel. 3000 miles and not one single problem with the car.

If you want any other info, give me a shout

cheers

Andy
Old 14 January 2000, 05:44 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Driving on the contintent is fairly painless. And I disagree - the Belgian Drivers are the worst nutters on the planet - they will drive right up your backside.

Fixing the lights is still a requirement we use masking tape, like someone pointed out get a kit from Halfords.

Also check - in some countries it is law to carry a hazard triangle - France is one. The Europeans use their indicators alot and keep them on whilst overtaking.

It's true they will leap into any small gap. Also they hate being overtaken - if you do it once they will desperately try and catch you up so they can over take you in retaliation - My advice is : - Get this bit overwith as fast as possible because once they've done it ONCE they're usually happy and don't bother any more. Otherwise they'll keep chasing you until they do (however, this is good sport and a light relief after driving long roads for hours at a time and eliviates the boredom (speed up / slow down/ speed up - AWAY YOU GO!.)

If you're taking the Scoobie racing will defintely be on the cards - but most of them drive diesels of some sort and haven't got a chance in hell - but it's good inter-European relations to let them get away with it (once).

SUL is expensive, roads are usually empty. Italy does not take Visa readily and likes Amex - you have to pay on all the motorways and some of the border tunnels have tolls.

Obey their laws and don't try and be clever. I'm not sure if I'd want to risk going through Switzerland without the pass - but as the DA said if you're passing through it's worth a try but not if you're planing to spend time there.

Oh yeah the roads in Italy are terrible. Don't underestimate your journey - there are some routes that may look like a 3 hour trip but in fact will take twice as long.

Have fun - enjoy it - don't worry - everyone speaks english - it'll be great.
Old 15 January 2000, 06:55 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Thanx all, great response....ferry's booked now so really looking forward to it, got a relative to visit in Holland for a couple of days then we are off..... just gor to wait till July now.....that's the hard bit, I want to go now !
K
Old 15 January 2000, 11:34 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kev

Yellow headlamps are no longer required. The halfords type kits will not fit the 99my lights onwards & you won't have a clue where to stick them either.

I have a hand drawn diagram of the size & shape of the required headlamp blanking shape. I got this direct from IM & I can confirm that it is correct as I used it last year with no probs.

Email me at nick@nickhill.net if you want the drawings.

BTW I would recommend still using the specific black sticky tape for cars - the type that you can cut with a razor blade thingy. After use, it comes off VERY easily with no residue.
Old 16 January 2000, 02:43 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Cool

Spare bulb kit required for France as well.
First aid kit required for Germany/Switzerland.
Spare pair of glasses required for Italy if you wear any and also Italian translation of driving licence if you dont have new euro type.
Fire extinguisher required for Greece and Green card required for entry to Greece.

In Switzerland watch out for speed traps in small mountain villages. They let you off first 3km above speed limit then fine you per additional KM.
About £5 per additional Km if I remember correctly.(and I do remember!)

Greece is as far as I ever got.
Have fun
Greg
Old 16 January 2000, 05:32 PM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

With regard to sticking stuff on the headlamps.
I was abroad at the end of last year, couldn't work out where the hell to stick things on the MY99 headlamps, so resorted to using the electric dipping mechanism to dip them right down - it has same overall effect and is much easier - just not sure as to the legality.

Paul L
Old 16 January 2000, 06:18 PM
Devils Advocate
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The point re. timed intervals between toll gates on French toll roads I believe is a fallacy, perhaps Penni can enlighten us on that one being a french property tycoon.
I don't kbnow anyone that has been fined in this way despite tanking it all the way...

The French Toll roads are far more expensive than the Italian ones and hence are virtually empty (encouraging speed).

The old roads are so much more picturesque (tree lined etc) but of course journet times are longer!

And Super unleaded although expensive has got to be cheaper than at home!!
Old 16 January 2000, 09:41 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi DA - how do you know about my european entrenpreneurship!!!

However, can't really answer that one - there is alot of speculation about whether the tolls booths are monitored with regard to how long it takes to get from one to the other - we have never been fined or knicked on that respect- but there was once one strange set of circumstances when the French police were at the toll booth back in our 205 days and two identical english cars showed up at the same time both white - both drivers has beards both passengers were blond females (apprx same age) I will always remember the image of these two French coppers standing there scratching their heads - but then my husband has always had a charmed life.

On a serious note I would not put it to the test - we've been lucky - it just depends on what kind of mood they're in.

And - isn't everthing expensive in this country.

And - so how much does it take to say hello!!!
Old 17 January 2000, 11:47 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

For those of you going to Spain, it is now a requirement to have TWO warning triangles.
On dual carriageways use one only 100m -150m before car/obstruction.
On ordinary roads use one on each side of the road about 100m away from car.
Old 18 January 2000, 08:58 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Thanx again everyone, taking it all in and I'm counting the weeks/days ( sad I know !).

K