Sponsored by:

A Scooby appeal

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2012, 06:36 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Scooby appeal

Me and 2 friends are doing the Scumrun (also previously known as the scumball rally)next year and have bought our car for the event. Here is what we we picked up today for a whopping £325

It's a 1998 UK Turbo 2000 which is registered as a cat c write off due to the slight shunt to the rear.

The picture above is after a quick wash and has come up well but has its dings and scrapes but for the price it's bloody good.

Now this appeal comes in the form of request for bits and pieces we will be needing over the coming months. We are happy to pay for these parts but if anyone feels generous to donate any bits we need we would of course be forever grateful.

So far the bits we know we need so far are:
Both rear lights
Body cut of rear hatch section

We will be selling/trading parts off the car that would not be required such as:
Fog light covers
Possibly the wheels depending on if we can manufacture some wheel adapters for a set of STI wheels we already have with brand new tyres.

We also need service items so if any traders are feeling generous then you will not be left out. Any business which helps us out will have sponsorship logos on the car for the event in May next year.

Who are we and why did we choose a scooby? We are three 30 something mates/neighbours who have a love for cars. I already own a 2002 WRX wagon and have owned a 1998 wagon sport and a 1996 legacy GTB in the past.

Neighbour number 1 owns a 2008 hatch STI ppp impreza and has owned a 2004 blob Wrx as well.

Neighbour number 2 has yet to own a scooby due to wifey putting her foot down so this gives him a chance with a shared ownership

Mods please don't see this as advertising as it is all for charity.

Last edited by d4vidh; 10 September 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 17 June 2012, 10:02 AM
bendy
Scooby Newbie

Neighbour No.2 (Me) hasn't got one because he is into fast motorbikes and already have two family cars, NOT because wife has put her foot down .

Any help would be much appreciated peeps.
Old 17 June 2012, 09:14 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bendy
Neighbour No.2 (Me) hasn't got one because he is into fast motorbikes and already have two family cars, NOT because wife has put her foot down .

Whatever Ben

Anyway making good use of fathers day we decided to change some of the fluids.

First up was the power steering fluid because the steering was making an odd noise. After a full change of the fluid the steering was better and quieter.

Next up was the oil change, this was straightforward and also pointed out some other bits which will need replacing. Both the inner driveshaft boots are split as is one of the steering gaitors.

Next we turn our attention to the error code we got whilst testing the car out. Error 33. This looks like the vehicle speed sensor as we have lost the speedo working.
Old 19 June 2012, 07:10 AM
fubar phil
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bendy

It's ok Ben, I wouldn't mess with her either.
Old 19 June 2012, 10:27 AM
Paul83b
Scooby Regular

We have a Classic bootlid, rear bumper and rear lights you can have if you come fetch em, were about 50 miles away from you.

Kind regards,
Paul@PMBPerformance
Old 20 June 2012, 12:50 PM
bendy
Scooby Newbie

Nice to speak to you this morning Paul and thanks again for the parts. Can you let me know your address as i forgot to ask. See you Saturday a.m.

We are still after a complete rear panel, so if anyone is planning to scrap a classic saloon shell please consider donating the rear if undamaged.

Regards

Ben.

Last edited by bendy; 20 June 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 20 June 2012, 02:06 PM
Paul83b
Scooby Regular

Our details are below, see you saturday morning, if you need any help or advice with tuning or repairs just ask

PMB Performance LTD
Paul Burton
Unit 3, Old goods yard
Spalding Road
Boston
Lincolnshire
Pe218xl
United Kingdom
Phone: 01205355977
Email: pmbperf@hotmail.com
Ebay: PMB501 / PMB502 / PMB503
Old 23 June 2012, 07:31 AM
bendy
Scooby Newbie

On our way
Old 25 June 2012, 08:33 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Thanks Paul for the bits we are extremely grateful. Yesterday we managed to remove the exhaust to find out what was wrong with the speed sensor.

In a nutshell it was f%&ked If anyone has a spare one of these kicking around we have some coinage available. It is a 2 wire one not the three wire one. We have a 5 speed box 752 if that makes any difference?

Some pics.

Found that both inner driveshaft boots are split and one of the steering rack boots is split.

Last edited by d4vidh; 10 September 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10 September 2012, 11:44 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Its been slow updated this so sorry but here goes.
We managed to source a back panel and cut the old one out by removing all the original spot welds.

New panel had some rust on the lower section so the old panel (Undamaged part) was grafted onto the new panel and tacked on for fit.

We managed to get hold of a decent bumper bar yesterday thanks to Hugs off here in the for sale section.

We offered it up and tempory put the lights in and the spoiler on to make sure everything lines up ok.

The boot even locks shut and can be opened by the key and the lever inside the car.

Only need 2 tyres for the front now and secure all the back end parts on then its ready for the MOT. Before the bumper bar goes on though it will be anti rust painted then waxoyled to hopefully protect it from the elements in the future.
Old 10 September 2012, 02:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I have a little advice. Due to the cars type, then Id start a build thread on the Scumball website. With this showing all of the work thats gone in to ready the car, no one will be able to question the cars legitimacy when you turn up at the start.

Next year looks quite good, but I think thats its too dear and Im not sure that I would know anyone from the previous years that I entered (2007 & 2008).

Simon
Old 10 September 2012, 02:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Thats my 2007 car being greeted by ze Germans in Stuttgart, in my avatar - they gave us a hard time.