Sponsored by:

Total Impreza Article

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2012, 11:25 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Total Impreza Article

Came across a helpful article by Eclipse Performance in TI for First timers do's & dont's but left me wondering???

'When you first start the car it is always advisable to leave it ticking over for around 30 secs before pulling away. This action is necessary due to the oil pump situated at the front of the engine & due to the longitudinal flat four cylinder arrangement, it can take a few moments to pump oil to the far side of the engine in order to lubricate the big end & main bearings on the furthest away piston.'

I park my Blob on an inclined drive nose up. Wondered if this will affect the engine to any degree when I kick it up as I use the car daily?

Any thoughts on the matter?
Old 12 June 2012, 11:46 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If oil pressure didnt get to the pressure needed to lube the whole engine straight away it would wear out pretty damn quickly.Revs up oil pressure so pulling away straight away would be best imo.
Old 13 June 2012, 12:13 AM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

neighnours would love me if i sat with the car idiling for 30 secs before pulling away!!
Just wait till i fit the afterburner vortex!!
Ive always just started the car and driven away. i keep the revs low until temps rise anyway. Ive got and API oil pump as well. Maybe wiser men can give the pros and cons of either method?
Old 13 June 2012, 01:30 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Jgm aka simon said on here once to start car,put on seat belt and go.obviously stay off turbo and not over rev till temps are up,said its better than idleing on choke on the drive.
Old 13 June 2012, 07:58 AM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl heath
Jgm aka simon said on here once to start car,put on seat belt and go.obviously stay off turbo and not over rev till temps are up,said its better than idleing on choke on the drive.
yep makes sense to me mate too, stay off boost
Im thinking about getting an oil temp an pressure gauges fitted, ive had them on my other imprezas, worth it for peace of mind early warnings i think
Old 13 June 2012, 08:01 AM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

Oil will take around 6 miles of driving to get up to temp, so use that as your rule of thumb
Old 13 June 2012, 08:16 AM
eclipse performance
Former Sponsor

Hi chaps. Yes, your right. Oil pressure is reached straight away when you start your engine. It's more about getting the oil closer to its viscosity to be honest. When its cold it is thicker and therefore doesnt do the best job. It got worded slightly different to the way is was originally written. The most important thing is OIL TEMP, as until your oil is up to temperature it's not doing the best job of lubricating your engine.

Trending Topics

Old 13 June 2012, 08:23 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Wrightly or wrongly I always give my car a minute or so before pulling away. Have always done this with all of my cars (and ive had a few, lol) without issues.
Still surprises me even today how long oil takes to get up to temp though, how many Impreza owners out there think its good to nail it when the gauge on the dash is at its max, hundreds I suspect.
Old 13 June 2012, 08:25 AM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Apologies to Eclipse if I worded it slightly different but thanks to all for your thoughts
Old 13 June 2012, 09:50 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

A new feature on the Alcatec ECU has an adjustable compensation for temp that won't allow you to cane it until it warms up.
We like that idea a lot!
Apart from that, start and go is my motto.
Old 13 June 2012, 10:44 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
A new feature on the Alcatec ECU has an adjustable compensation for temp that won't allow you to cane it until it warms up.
We like that idea a lot!
What would also be a really good idea and one that, I believe Ford used on the 1.8 CVH engine, was to pull ignition timing at, and for a while after, cold start-up to reduce piston slap. I would have thought this would not be a problem to programme into modern ECU's?

JohnD
Old 13 June 2012, 11:23 AM
New_scooby_04

Didn't the PPP map used to have this feature, or am I imagining it?
Old 13 June 2012, 11:46 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Didn't the PPP map used to have this feature, or am I imagining it?
If you're refering to Alan's post, I think it was the reverse of cold - it would limit boost if it sensed inlet temps. were too high?

JohnD
Old 13 June 2012, 11:51 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Even with a quiet exhaust:

I start up and almost tickle the car from the house right from the turn of the key. I usually stay under around 3'000 rpm until I have exited my village, at which point I dont give it any beans until Oil has reached say 50 degrees or beyond, and even then I wont give it full boost until it reach optimum temp. Probably a little OTT, but its what Im use to doing at 5am!

Obviously the types of Oil used has a major impact on how Oil gets up to temperature, but thats a seperate debate on its own Im a firm believer in Millers 10/40 but then I suppose this would vary on power and components!??

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 13 June 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 13 June 2012, 12:01 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eclipse performance
Hi chaps. Yes, your right. Oil pressure is reached straight away when you start your engine. It's more about getting the oil closer to its viscosity to be honest. When its cold it is thicker and therefore doesnt do the best job. It got worded slightly different to the way is was originally written. The most important thing is OIL TEMP, as until your oil is up to temperature it's not doing the best job of lubricating your engine.
Which is why i use a 5 w40 rather than a 10 w50 or even a 15 w60 ive seen some say they use. We live in a cold country, if i lived in Arazona i may re-conciser
Old 13 June 2012, 12:48 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

We like that idea a lot!
Very good idea that, I like...
Old 13 June 2012, 01:27 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Wrightly or wrongly I always give my car a minute or so before pulling away. Have always done this with all of my cars (and ive had a few, lol) without issues.
Still surprises me even today how long oil takes to get up to temp though, how many Impreza owners out there think its good to nail it when the gauge on the dash is at its max, hundreds I suspect.
This suprised me too when i had my classic and fitted my gauges, in the past on older cars (because i had no other reference point) i always took the water temp as a guide - how wrong!

As an aside, i am struggling to get hold of this edition of TI, my local shops (WH smith & newsagent) have both failed me

Last edited by petethemeat; 13 June 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 13 June 2012, 01:39 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

Same here, cant get hold of the latest TI

As for the oil, i always start and go, ive got the gauges to tell me when its up to temp
Old 13 June 2012, 05:22 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

We like that idea a lot!

Originally Posted by JohnD
What would also be a really good idea and one that, I believe Ford used on the 1.8 CVH engine, was to pull ignition timing at, and for a while after, cold start-up to reduce piston slap. I would have thought this would not be a problem to programme into modern ECU's?

JohnD

Both of these features are in the std 32b ECU, Subaru appear to have flat mapped the boost coolant T comp. to zero though ( on my 2006 STI , have not looked at others).