Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed, honest opinions only :)

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2012, 10:29 PM
marc.kerslake
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed, honest opinions only :)

Hi all, I've got a classic type RA, owned it for 6 months, bought it from a guy who had spent a small fortune on it. Had loads of fun in the car around castle Combe and local, early hours last night a rad hose came off while driving home from work without me noticing, only to find today when started that not only did it not have any water in it but loads of smoke! Ive had it looked at and it's the head gaskets gone! The mechanic also said that the piston rings may also be worn out due to the oil thinning out and causing more friction.

I don't want to take it all apart and open a big can of worms, so looking on people's honest opinion whether I should break the car for parts, sell it as it is (If it worth anything) or fix if you think it's a reasonably easy job.

If I were to look into doing a 2.5 bottom end, what would I need to build something that would achieve 450-500 hp, and would a 6 speed box take that power without need rebuilding every few months.

This isn't a for sale advert just looking for people's opinions on what they would do if they were in my shoes.

Don't be too harsh I'm already hurt lol

Marc
Old 08 June 2012, 10:31 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on the mods the car has whether it's worth the hassle of breaking mate,what's it got?

A forged bottom end rebuild will not be cheap in any one's book I'm afraid!
Old 08 June 2012, 10:39 PM
marc.kerslake
Scooby Regular

It had conrod failure before so had 4 new liners, omega .50 oversized pistons, steel rods, steel gaskets, all the trimmings from roger Clarke motorsport, all fitted at once about 4 years ago and less than 15k ago, that's why I bought the car, being an RA too it had loads of nice standard bits and was pushing 340hp with a vf28 so was nice power delivery. Also got good rein coil over kit with adjustable damping in car, brembo 4 pots, had money spent All around really so that's why I'm in the predicament in in :s
Old 08 June 2012, 10:44 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the goodies it has you would certainly be looking at a few ££££'s from breaking but it does come with hassle and left over parts.
I would be surprised if the bottom end was goosed though,I would be stripping the heads off and having a look at the bottom end and if it's good........rebuild it
Old 08 June 2012, 10:58 PM
marc.kerslake
Scooby Regular

This is the only reason I'm questioning fixing it, as a complete package it's a lovely car. I can imaging its worth a few quid to break but I don't really way the hassle and Im quite attached to the car now lol. Suppose at worst case senario I could put another set of liners and pistons in
Old 08 June 2012, 11:29 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...crunching.html

Did you sort the gearbox out ?

Shaun
Old 09 June 2012, 07:48 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Break it.

If you never noticed the temperature gauge going into orbit, should you be driving a car like this?
Old 09 June 2012, 08:04 AM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Break it.

If you never noticed the temperature gauge going into orbit, should you be driving a car like this?
Really constructive post there fella,well done you,
Old 09 June 2012, 08:11 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by marc.kerslake

Don't be too harsh I'm already hurt lol

Marc
guess you missed that bit.
Old 09 June 2012, 08:16 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

As is it's worth peanuts. To fix it may cost big money if it needs a full rebuild which it may well. When my HG failed it only got hot twice & both times it was parked immediately to cool & all my shells were knackered. Overheat on a Scooby does lots of damage. If you don't want to spend big money on it to put it right then I think your only option is to break it.
Old 09 June 2012, 09:20 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can DIY then fix it, if you can't then i'd sell as is or break it, as it will cost more than the end result is worth and you could just go buy another well sorted scoob for a lot less than this is going to cost to put right with garage rates being what they are.

Talk to david at API he will give you an honest opinion and various options as well as ideas of cost.
Old 09 June 2012, 09:34 AM
marc.kerslake
Scooby Regular

Shaun.. Gearbox still hasn't been fixed, I've done about 100miles since the track day and having spoken to the owner it had been like it for about 5 years, was gonna wait for it to go pop and do a 6 speed conversion.

Midlife.. Temp gauge didnt go up passed half cos there was no water in the engine to measure the temp! I only pulled over and checked because my heaters went cold all of a sudden. Thought I have saved it by noticing and pulling over and towing it in before trying to restart. Got no knocks and bangs just pressure in the header tank when getting hot and smoke from the exhaust.

Will speak to david at API and see what he thinks, can't really be bothered to break, may see what my insurance company say and put it through them is it's insured for what it is, who knows what il do yet!!

Thanks for opinions
Old 09 June 2012, 10:25 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Insurance won't cover mechanical failure you need a warranty fo that.
Old 09 June 2012, 10:37 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

If you're around castle combe try giving CP autos a call. They are based just down the road in Hanham, Bristol.

They should be able to go through loads of options for you. Speak to spence or Nick who should be able to help you out.
Old 09 June 2012, 05:04 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

chances are you'll need the heads skimming and new gaskets fitting, you could replace the water pump and cam blt kit while it's all out too.

I doubt you'll need a rebuild tbh if it still runs othertwise ok.
Old 09 June 2012, 08:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Legend
Really constructive post there fella,well done you,
Constructive? I thought so.

What ARE gauges for, after all?
Old 10 June 2012, 09:42 AM
marc.kerslake
Scooby Regular

When I started the car today it was idling irraticly until all the water had either came out of the exhaust or header tank then when the water was running out it started to run fine, so I'm assuming that means the water is mixing with the fuel somewhere along the lines. I'm gonna get the engine out over the next week or so and get the heads off, see what damage has been caused if its bad, gonna go and get a 2.5 engine and start again on the drawing board!
Marc
Old 10 June 2012, 11:13 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by marc.kerslake
Shaun.. Gearbox still hasn't been fixed, I've done about 100miles since the track day and having spoken to the owner it had been like it for about 5 years, was gonna wait for it to go pop and do a 6 speed conversion.

Midlife.. Temp gauge didnt go up passed half cos there was no water in the engine to measure the temp! I only pulled over and checked because my heaters went cold all of a sudden. Thought I have saved it by noticing and pulling over and towing it in before trying to restart. Got no knocks and bangs just pressure in the header tank when getting hot and smoke from the exhaust.

Will speak to david at API and see what he thinks, can't really be bothered to break, may see what my insurance company say and put it through them is it's insured for what it is, who knows what il do yet!!

Thanks for opinions

sorry to hear of your loss

if you do fix it, replace the temp sensor, even with no water that needle should of reached for 12 o clock
Old 10 June 2012, 11:46 AM
marc.kerslake
Scooby Regular

Things can only get bigger and better.. Watch this space