Sponsored by:

Anti Lag exhaust questions?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2012, 11:47 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Anti Lag exhaust questions?

My car is currently running a 3" Graham Goode Racing exhaust, and at the moment it has a sport cat in the downpipe which I WILL be swapping out for a decat that I already have. However I have also recently bought a DC 3" exhaust which I believe is also relatively track friendly, so the question is which one to use, and has anyone had any history of using a decat Graham Goode with Anti Lag?

The GGR is very quiet for a 3" system, and im unsure if it will be ideal for ALS

The DC is suppose to be a little louder, yet Im trying not to go loud as I prefer the more subtle family friendly exhaust until the car is required to "operate"

The Car - https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ods-begin.html

Any comments appreciated.

Rob

ps - I already have Harveys ported headers and up pipe in hand, so no issues there (fingers crossed)
Old 30 May 2012, 11:51 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Day
My car is currently running a 3" Graham Goode Racing exhaust, and at the moment it has a sport cat in the downpipe which I WILL be swapping out for a decat that I already have. However I have also recently bought a DC 3" exhaust which I believe is also relatively track friendly, so the question is which one to use, and has anyone had any history of using a decat Graham Goode with Anti Lag?

The GGR is very quiet for a 3" system, and im unsure if it will be ideal for ALS

The DC is suppose to be a little louder, yet Im trying not to go loud as I prefer the more subtle family friendly exhaust until the car is required to "operate"

The Car - https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ods-begin.html

Any comments appreciated.

Rob

ps - I already have Harveys ported headers and up pipe in hand, so no issues there (fingers crossed)
Not sure about the exhaust Rob, but Eggy did manage to destroy a standard manifold with anti lag use so something to bear in mind
Old 30 May 2012, 11:58 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Not sure about the exhaust Rob, but Eggy did manage to destroy a standard manifold with anti lag use so something to bear in mind
Hey Banny, good to hear from you

I'm not installing the headers I got from Eddy, I have bought some Harvey ported ones, with trick matching up pipe

How is your car getting on, have you resolved the fuelign issues, and your inability to drive it (joke)

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 30 May 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 30 May 2012, 10:21 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Any info folks?

Thanks
Rob
Old 30 May 2012, 10:25 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I wouldn't have thought that an exhaust would make a difference as to whether you can run AL or not? If you're decat it's pretty much just a pipe until you get to the backbox. I am currently running standard headers and have not had any problems with AL. (yet)
Old 30 May 2012, 10:44 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rob

I don't think you will have problem with your exhaust,when you will run ALS,but this depends how ALS will be aggressive

Jura
Old 31 May 2012, 07:33 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainMilford
I wouldn't have thought that an exhaust would make a difference as to whether you can run AL or not? If you're decat it's pretty much just a pipe until you get to the backbox. I am currently running standard headers and have not had any problems with AL. (yet)

Wow ALS on standard headers, I wouldn’t have thought that would have lasted! The Graham Goode is very quiet, so much so that driving at low rpm you wouldn’t know I was coming, so if I was to put ALS on this system would it bang & clack safely? I think what I’m getting at is the exhaust strong enough to withstand ALS, Im speaking of inexperience as I’ve never bother with ALS before.

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi Rob
Originally Posted by jura11

I don't think you will have problem with your exhaust,when you will run ALS,but this depends how ALS will be aggressive

Jura

Hi Jura, From what I gather the ALS map will be very aggressive, but until safe and legal to do so it wont be used, and being a mature driver its not going to be used often anyway, so Im guessing with some decent headers I should be fine then?

Thanks for comment Ian & Jura. I think I may swap over to the DC just to test the pitch and db, then make my mind up

Rob
Old 31 May 2012, 08:00 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

i think you'll be fine rob, like you say it won't be on all the time, popping down to the shops with al is not a good idea!

Last edited by IainMilford; 31 May 2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: stupid phone can't spell!
Old 31 May 2012, 09:48 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainMilford
i think you'll be fine rob, like you say it won't be on all the time, popping down to the shops with al is not a good idea!
Not in my tiny village anyway

When I had a Blitz nur spec on one of my previous cars some years ago, my work collegaues said they could hear me pull out of the "said" junction some 1.5miles away on full tilt, and heard me all the way right up to my works enterance which even has a 20mph speed limit

So other than as discussed above, what other things do I need to look out for? Will I need better gaskets, bolts, and will the turbo suffer at all?

Sorry for the 101 questions, Im just trying to do this right first time along with everything else for the 1st phase of mods Im still amazed you have ALS on standard headers with no issues .

Rob
Old 31 May 2012, 10:05 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

well i don't use it all the time, if anything it is difficult to drive 'normally' with al as it pushes you along! So only used when playing, sounds mental on track too but uses loads of fuel! I have a set of rcm headers in my garage as part of a planned series of upgrades, just not got rond to fitting them yet. I checked with bob if the standard headers would be ok and he thought they would, and so far he is right!
Old 31 May 2012, 10:06 AM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi
My Hayward and Scott was quiet but as power goes up and antilag etc etc it gets louder but low on the revs it's just a rumble....
Old 31 May 2012, 04:40 PM
Scooby B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have AL on a 2.5 exhaust. Me and another guy from our club had a little anti-lag sound off at Japfest side by side, both made some nice noises, only difference his being a 3" exhaust his was a little louder
Old 31 May 2012, 09:06 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rob

We are running GT spec headers with GT Spec Up-pipe and 3" H&S with HKS Ti-Tip and we are using ALS not very often,but if its chance on drag or road/track to use ALS,we are using ALS,on our ALS is too loud like shotgun shooting

About the ALS and headers,yes they can break,but usually will break on the slip joint,similar can happen too to the Up pipe and really i would recommend too EGT gauge if you are planning run more than often

Jura
Old 31 May 2012, 09:31 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running AL on standard headers here also. No probs, but don't use it often at all. More of a tunnel toy or on track day.
Old 01 June 2012, 07:46 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info guys, much appreciated