ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud exhausts, but keeping the burble!

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2012, 11:49 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud exhausts, but keeping the burble!

Have done a search but not been able to find an exact answer, I guess what I'm after is involved in the complicated design of exhaust silencers and is just way above my head!

Anyway, bought a second hand Revolution stainless exhaust system for my classic uk turbo. It's a straight through 3" pipe with no expansions, cats or silencers until the backbox, and the backbox is a huge heavy thing which has a perforated 2.5" tube right through the centre. Although it's got a lovely burble to it it is a track day friendly system and not as loud as I'd like for day to day driving.

My dillemma is I'd like to keep the burble but just turn the volume up as far as it'll go, but be able to remove it for track days as my local circuit is pretty easy going on the noise but I'd like to be able to quieten it down if I have to. As my backbox has this 2.5" straight through section I bought a length of 2.5" stainless tube and slid it inside the silencer to make it a straight through system. My thinking was it was almost an 'anti baffle' and I could slide it out again to quieten it down.

So with it in although it's nice and loud the tone of the exhaust has completely changed, from the classic rumbling burble to a full on raspy growl, it now sounds like an animal accelerating and pops, bangs and crackles on the over run. It's an awesome noise but I'm really in two minds whether I like it or not, my inner chav loves it but part of me thinks it doesn't sound quite like a scooby should and is just noise for the sake of it. It sounds quite similar to videos of the WRC car I've been watching

So just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas, as the exhaust is all slip jointed from the downpipe back I can't just stick another silencer on, otherwise I'd be inclined to try a Blitz Nur Spec or similar just to see if that was closer to what I was after.
Old 22 May 2012, 12:00 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

i get really good burlble from my blitz system fitted to my japspeed de-cat pipe.
very loud, need a proper bung from blitz to fit it as it can be a little OTT at times. Just glad its my weekend car & not my every day run around!
Old 22 May 2012, 01:31 PM
Scooby Regular

Might've made a bit of discovery actually, with the engine running as soon as I insert the pipe into the silencer the note changes instantly from a burble to a rasp. This is before I even take out any of the silencing effect from the backbox at all, the pipe only being slid in a CM or so. By this I'm assuming that it is the expansion out of the backbox into the tailpipe (a 5 inch oval) that is what creates the burble, and by removing that expansion at the end I'm removing the burble.

Unfortunate because the only way I'll be able to tell is by sliding the tube in all the way so there's nothing left sticking out into the tailpipe. However once it's in there it's pretty much permanent as I wouldn't be able to get it out again! Would mean a bit of a gamble, I could almost do with a spare revolution backbox to experiment with
Old 22 May 2012, 01:41 PM
sam_wrx
Scooby Regular

blitz all the way
Old 22 May 2012, 01:43 PM
DEATHLYREAPER
Scooby Regular

the burble comes from the unequal headers
Old 22 May 2012, 02:14 PM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

Why not just tack on a piece of rod to the inside of your sleeve ; push it all the way in, if it works take it out again with the rod - take rod off - push back in. !
Old 22 May 2012, 03:24 PM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

A noisy exhaust is on a par with a booming car stereo. What's the point of either ?

Trending Topics

Old 22 May 2012, 03:38 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxyz
Why not just tack on a piece of rod to the inside of your sleeve ; push it all the way in, if it works take it out again with the rod - take rod off - push back in. !
I actually drilled a hole in the sides and bolted an M10 bolt through to act as a hook. Managed to remove it quite happily using the standard subaru jack handle that's got the hooked end on it, so I'm going to try the same method but sliding it all the way in so it leaves the oval expansion of the tail pipe to try and take some of the raspiness out and hopefully maintain the burble, just with more noise and power
Old 22 May 2012, 07:18 PM
Gava
Scooby Regular

i have a 3 inch straight threw system with a cobra race tube and that is loud and have a deep burble to it too
Old 22 May 2012, 08:15 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

To be honest I now realise that a loud exhaust at idle or cruise is just chavvy and vulgar, unless you have a TVR or something else exotic and even then it is borderline.

My R32 is the best of both worlds; it is quiet at idle and cruise, very pleasant, but when you stamp on it you get a full orchestra, which sounds all the better for having no turbo to muffle the notes.
Old 22 May 2012, 10:18 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a personal thing regarding noisy exhaust,but after owning 4 x afterburner vortex's & a blitz, I would sacrifice noise over power every time.
My Current system is a Fujitsubo Legalis 'R' and it is the best of both worlds - loud only when you want it to be.
Old 22 May 2012, 10:50 PM
Lord Marshall
Scooby Regular

I've got a kakimoto and it's too loud and I've lost the burble. Am thinking about hks hipower. Has anyone got one and how does it sound?
Old 22 May 2012, 11:00 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

I have a hks hi power, it loud but not nur spec loud, not a bassey.
Old 23 May 2012, 11:16 AM
Felix79
Scooby Regular

I run a straight through Blitz NUR spec and it's loud , loud and loud. When I've heard someone else rev my car from a distance it sounds pretty authentic to the rally cars of the late 90's. The bung dose manage to take a few db's off when required.

The first time I drove my car , the bung was out and after two hours on the motorway driving it home my ears were ringing! I now know the trick is to have the window open a little bit to stop it booming so much in the cabin!
Old 23 May 2012, 06:54 PM
Lord Marshall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
I have a hks hi power, it loud but not nur spec loud, not a bassey.
Hi mate, is it still "burbly" ?
Old 23 May 2012, 07:01 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lord Marshall
I've got a kakimoto and it's too loud and I've lost the burble. Am thinking about hks hipower. Has anyone got one and how does it sound?
I've got the HKS backbox on mine, ( exactly the same one that was for sale on here the other night)

No Cats, and it's damn loud, very deep burble, and i bloody love it, and to be honest i am pretty damn sure it is louder than the Nur spec, but not seen my pal to compare them yet.

As said above it is really personal preference, but i love it, and am so looking forward to the next tunnel run
Old 23 May 2012, 07:29 PM
Lord Marshall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve ex vauxhall
I've got the HKS backbox on mine, ( exactly the same one that was for sale on here the other night)

No Cats, and it's damn loud, very deep burble, and i bloody love it, and to be honest i am pretty damn sure it is louder than the Nur spec, but not seen my pal to compare them yet.

As said above it is really personal preference, but i love it, and am so looking forward to the next tunnel run
That's it you've just made my mind up! As soon as I my flog my prodrive system i'l be lookin to buy hks.
Old 23 May 2012, 08:22 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve ex vauxhall

Tunnel run you say? If you're using the *** tunnels this way I'd be well up for that!
Old 23 May 2012, 08:25 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Liverpool tunnel run is the next one 1st sunday of every month but we are doing a North wales Tunnel run on the 1st July, (sunday) there's a thread on here, get your name on the list fella, the more the merrier.

P.s, think the threads dropped down to page 2 now
Old 23 May 2012, 09:10 PM
Scooby Regular

Found it cheers!

Last edited by Guest; 23 May 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 23 May 2012, 10:37 PM
sunnyjones003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gava
i have a 3 inch straight threw system with a cobra race tube and that is loud and have a deep burble to it too

i agree, i got the same and it bloody loud, louder than these blitz trust me. if going more than 30miles you need ear plugs
Old 03 July 2012, 02:49 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

cobra all the way i have a full 3" but with resonated rear section and that is loud as anything av heard couldnt imagine it with un resonated. think my neighbours would have it burnt out haha
Old 03 July 2012, 04:06 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marshall332bhp
cobra all the way i have a full 3" but with resonated rear section and that is loud as anything av heard couldnt imagine it with un resonated. think my neighbours would have it burnt out haha

3 inch non resonated here. Though I have went from a 4 inch jap angled tail to 4.5 straight exit. Sounds a little more mighty again than this clip. Haha

Old 04 July 2012, 04:13 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

av got the 5" straight cut tip. thought would look daft but it doesnt look as big when on the car
Old 04 July 2012, 04:20 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by marshall332bhp
Yeah, on my previous MY93 WRX I had a a full 3" system:-

decat d/p + straight-thru Cobra centre + Cobra resonated bb (albeit that really narrow-girth resonator they do!). Pretty damn loud... Albeit not stupidly loud.

And it really magnified and optimised the innate burble from the OEM unequal headers.

Last edited by joz8968; 04 July 2012 at 04:23 PM.