Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed, garage damaged my alloys!

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2012, 03:41 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed, garage damaged my alloys!

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/160/photopdy.jpg

I took car to local tyre fitter this morning (no, not Kwik Fit!) to fit 2 new tyres i had ordered. Got there early but still ended up waiting just under the better part of 2 hours for them to finish, but that's not the beef i have..

They drove the car into their workshop, fitted the tyres, drive the car straight out to the parking bays, I hadn't had a chance to look at the work and they wanted me to sign the paperwork, which I did. As I was already late for work, I quickly drove home and only then did I notice the damage to the alloys, I mean I'll admit the alloys weren't in pristine condition before but it didn't look I'd tried to crowbar the tyre off!

I called them up and they asked me to bring it back so they could assess, which I did. They looked at it and agreed that this wasn't something that I could have done as it was not normal kerbing damage, the fitter has agreed to pay for a repair out of his own pocket..

However, he wants me to call a company X (I won't name that company) that I've never heard of to do the repair, gave me a card and it doesn't seem to be very professional outfit. It may be but first impression wasn't the greatest..

I called them up, first few times it got forwarded to a fax line (great start so far!) and when I got through to someone and talked to them, they suggested about £40ish per alloy, I said I'd get email him with a picture to provide a better guestimate.

However I would much rather use Lepsons to do a proper job, do you think he's suggested company X because it's cheaper and to save himself money as he's going to be paying for it himself.

Is it too much if I insist Lepsons to do the work and expect him to not walk away because he didn't use the company he "suggested"?
Old 18 May 2012, 03:48 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd go for what he advised and check work when properly done.
Although you can ask him if you could take it to your guy and he foot the bill as long as its not more than his quote, I don't see why not
Old 18 May 2012, 03:56 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

His guy didn't specify what exactly he'd do, Lepsons on the other hand have stated they'd strip the wheels down, check for damage and do a proper job.

Hmm..!
Old 18 May 2012, 03:58 PM
RICK...
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is really weird because this exact same thing happened to me yesterday at Kwik Fit. Except on mine, what it looks like they've done is use a screwdriver or something to 'scrape' the old weights off the wheel, which has put a 4 inch gouge on the inside of the alloy. This is on my Insignia aswell, so the wheels aren't exactly cheap!!

I'm still waiting for a call back from them...
Old 18 May 2012, 04:05 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

While it *is* a perfect opportunity to get them all redone in anthracite (esp if someone else is paying for half of the work), it's gutting as it's more expenses on the car that I didn't need to shell out for!
Old 18 May 2012, 04:09 PM
...seamus...
Scooby Regular

If this guy offers £40 a corner and lepsons charge £60 a corner I would work a deal out with the guy - I wouldnt mind getting 2 alloys refurbed and painted for an additional £20 a corner and pay the balance myself

work it in your favour ;O)
Old 18 May 2012, 04:09 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On the other hand you should be glad he accepted liabilty,he could easily of said jog on, he and you know the fitter did it but proving it is another matter

id go with their guy and see what his work is like
Old 18 May 2012, 04:13 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ...seamus...
If this guy offers £40 a corner and lepsons charge £60 a corner I would work a deal out with the guy - I wouldnt mind getting 2 alloys refurbed and painted for an additional £20 a corner and pay the balance myself

work it in your favour ;O)
I think I see what you mean, get a quote from his "guy" then make up the difference myself to have it done at Lepsons?
Old 18 May 2012, 04:16 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
On the other hand you should be glad he accepted liabilty,he could easily of said jog on, he and you know the fitter did it but proving it is another matter

id go with their guy and see what his work is like
Oh I'm definitely glad they didn't tell me to f**k off, but given the location of the damage (there are bits where the damage wasn't on the edge of rims where normal kerbing would occur but only inside the lip), there wasn't much doubt where the damage had come from.
Old 18 May 2012, 04:38 PM
rosssti
Scooby Regular

I take it your on about National Tyres? They are with a company called Revive that usually does all there paint repairs....
Old 18 May 2012, 04:49 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

Nope, its not National Tyres and I don't want to name+shame them unless I get a satisfactory resolution to the problem incase they read it and decide against.

Their repair guy called me back and said he will take a look at the photo when he gets a moment and contact me regarding a more accurate price/quote.

Then I'll go back to the garage with a written quote and see if they will either let me go to Lepsons depending on the price difference or just go with what they recommended.

At this point, I'd rather take it to Lepsons to do the work as they seem to come highly regarded and take off whatever money the fitter was willing to pay from where he recommended.
Old 18 May 2012, 06:39 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICK...
This is really weird because this exact same thing happened to me yesterday at Kwik Fit. Except on mine, what it looks like they've done is use a screwdriver or something to 'scrape' the old weights off the wheel, which has put a 4 inch gouge on the inside of the alloy. This is on my Insignia aswell, so the wheels aren't exactly cheap!!

I'm still waiting for a call back from them...
That will be where the wheel weight has been pushed around the rim by the tyre machine arm. Obviously the weights wernt remove prior to the tyre being removed