Sponsored by:

standard to 280 ish bhp

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2012, 09:06 AM
subarutom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default standard to 280 ish bhp

Hi chaps and ladies, im thinking of taking my standard wrx (225) up to around the 280 bhp mark. Im interested in any feedback Ie) what does the difference feel like? is it worth doing ? in advance of the people who simply say get an sti, heres my reply in advance . NO. I like my car to much and it has some centimental value attatched to it for one reason or another . thanks.
Old 18 May 2012, 09:35 AM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

my last scoob was a 97 uk car with about 208bhp after a few mods got 260bhp and made quite a bit of difference.for a road car 280-300ish makes a quick car and fun to drive day to day.my latest one is about 280bhp but getting enginetuner stroker in summer as mine a track car.you will end up wanting more though mate.scoobies are like a drug and you just want more power in the end.lol
Old 18 May 2012, 09:50 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by subarutom
Hi chaps and ladies, im thinking of taking my standard wrx (225) up to around the 280 bhp mark. Im interested in any feedback Ie) what does the difference feel like? is it worth doing ? in advance of the people who simply say get an sti, heres my reply in advance . NO. I like my car to much and it has some centimental value attatched to it for one reason or another . thanks.
280bhp will feel a world apart from your standard car mate, and can be done relatively easily and cheaply.
Go for it I say
Old 18 May 2012, 10:25 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

It will feel like a totally different car. Not just the power increase but the mid-range torque will make it a joy to drive.
However you will get used to it and you will want more.
Old 18 May 2012, 10:51 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Definitely go for it. mine's a MY93 WRX running 280.
bought it lie that so no idea what it was like before.. apparently it has some moody ebay chip in the ecu, blitz nur-spec r, zero sports cone filter and resonator delete, wide mouth down pipe, and other than that i think it's pretty standard engine wise... nice and quick without having to worry about it going pop as long as i look after it reasonably well.
Old 18 May 2012, 10:58 AM
subarutom
Scooby Regular

i guess my main concern is will the engine and gearbox be safe . its a 2004 wrx which has never missed a beat or failed an mot in its life . i have really looked after it and its had a very easy(ish) life so dont want to push my luck with a bhp figure thats going to result in things going wrong . id rather stick to the boundrys of what you chap thinks is ok. thanks
Old 18 May 2012, 11:09 AM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

I started off like yourself, it was completely standard when I bought it. A few months down the line I did the first remap with a performance panel filter, cat back exhaust package and dump valve. It really was night and day compared to the standard bhp. As a word of warning if you haven't yet upgraded your pads or discs you may want to factor this in as I noticed how bad mine really were after upping the power. My wrx is now running 346 bhp on standard box and engine with now worries at all, and I know of a few guys on here running even more infact up to 400 bhp.

So simply yes go for it IMO you won't regret it. If your interested I'm selling my old ecu with map for this very purpose. It's on eBay now.

Last edited by Kedlestone; 18 May 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 18 May 2012, 11:18 AM
subarutom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kedlestone
I started off like yourself, it was completely standard when I bought it. A few months down the line I did the first remap with a performance panel filter, cat back exhaust package and dump valve. It really was night and day compared to the standard bhp. As a word of warning if you haven't yet upgraded your pads or discs you may want to factor this in as I noticed how bad mine really were after upping the power. My wrx is now running 346 bhp on standard box and engine with now worries at all, and I know of a few guys on here running even more infact up to 400 bhp.

So simply yes go for it IMO you won't regret it. If your interested I'm selling my old ecu with map for this very purpose. It's on eBay now.
i would definatly upgrade the breaks at some point . i dont even think the standard ones are good enough to be honest at standard bhp.
Old 18 May 2012, 11:31 AM
S25 DAN
Scooby Regular

Mine's an '04 wrx, it's got around the 270bhp mark and it's had that since just after it left the factory, it's got 162k on the clock, still runs beautifully, it's not even needed a new clutch!

Long as you look after it you'll be fine.
Old 18 May 2012, 11:33 AM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

No your right there not. It's also a good idea to talk to mappers about what your after as they will tell you exactly what you need which can avoid you buying the wrong bits or things you don't need. Duncan (Dynaracemix) did my first map, he'll give you good advice.

Give me a shout if your interested in the ECU.
Old 18 May 2012, 11:52 AM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

My old WRX was hugely reliable whilst running 280bhp - however, as someone has already posted - you should upgrade brakes - they are shocking at best!
Old 18 May 2012, 12:27 PM
stevemontuno
Scooby Regular

im thinking of doing the same to my wrx at some point too,,,that first map sounds like a wallet cruncher though,,,was looking on the clinic site and its around a grand for the first map,,,owch,,,lol
Old 18 May 2012, 12:27 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Yep, do it - night and day from standard.

260ish is cheap since you don't need to replace any major components... just need a decat center pipe, panel filter and a remap. A smaller (1mm) restrictor pill is a good idea to prevent wastegate creep. Can all be done for around £450 if you go open source on the map.

280 is a bit more as you need to free the exhaust a little more with either a decat or sports cat down-pipe as well. It's advisable to decat the up-pipe too on a 2.0 to prevent this breaking up and killing the turbo.

280+ gets much more expensive though as you'll need a new turbo as a minimum and then injectors, IC, etc, etc. That's where the slippery slope gets a bit steeper
Old 18 May 2012, 12:28 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevemontuno
im thinking of doing the same to my wrx at some point too,,,that first map sounds like a wallet cruncher though,,,was looking on the clinic site and its around a grand for the first map,,,owch,,,lol
WTF... open source map from Duncan at RaceDynamix is around £350 iirc and you can get an EcuTek map done for less than £600 including the EcuTek license.
Old 18 May 2012, 12:31 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

A grand ???????

Can be done for half that chap.
Old 18 May 2012, 12:33 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markb_s1
Definitely go for it. mine's a MY93 WRX running 280.
bought it lie that so no idea what it was like before.. apparently it has some moody ebay chip in the ecu, blitz nur-spec r, zero sports cone filter and resonator delete, wide mouth down pipe, and other than that i think it's pretty standard engine wise... nice and quick without having to worry about it going pop as long as i look after it reasonably well.
You ever had it on a dyno to see if it's running sweet, guessing its just a generic chip you have.
Old 18 May 2012, 12:34 PM
stevemontuno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gigsy
WTF... open source map from Duncan at RaceDynamix is around £350 iirc and you can get an EcuTek map done for less than £600 including the EcuTek license.
sorry mate im a noob,lol,,whats an open source map,,,does it mean i can map my standard ecu?,,,i was just under the impression that i was gonna have to buy a performance one first
Old 18 May 2012, 12:38 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

sorry mate im a noob,lol,,whats an open source map,,,does it mean i can map my standard ecu?,,,i was just under the impression that i was gonna have to buy a performance one first
The search function at the top is your friend, loads of info on here about open source mapping.
And yep, keep your standard ecu chap
Old 18 May 2012, 12:42 PM
stevemontuno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
The search function at the top is your friend, loads of info on here about open source mapping.
And yep, keep your standard ecu chap
nice one dude ,i'll do search
Old 18 May 2012, 01:32 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

I think the grand from scoobyclinic also includes the decat downpipe and fitting. IIRC
No worries about restrictor pills on blobeyes either.
Best bet is to talk to a mapper, most are more than happy to offer advice.
Old 18 May 2012, 09:59 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Ive done what you are planning over the space of 18months. I Added exhaust parts where I could without needing a map and changed air filter and plugs for uprated parts at service time to spread the cost a little.

Here's what it cost me (so far )

STI up-pipe £30
Decat downpipe £80
Afterburner non-res centre section £50
Prodrive backbox £100
NGK pfrb7 spark plugs £35
Cosworth panel filter £35
Opensource remap £300

That's just engine bits, I've also added suspension bits to get a bit more out of the corners and as already been mentioned, BRAKES!! I can't stress this enough. I bought the Orangestuff pads and grooved discs from Ian Godney in December and they are really good, but the 4 pots lack the initial bite. I've just bought a set of K Sports and 330mm discs as I'm still on standard wheels.
Old 18 May 2012, 10:10 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

i guess my main concern is will the engine and gearbox be safe . its a 2004 wrx which has never missed a beat or failed an mot in its life . i have really looked after it and its had a very easy(ish) life so dont want to push my luck with a bhp figure thats going to result in things going wrong . id rather stick to the boundrys of what you chap thinks is ok. thanks
Forgot to say mine is 53 wrx and just gone past 61k. It hasn't failed me once in the 2.5yrs I've had it. Changed oil every 6 months.
Old 18 May 2012, 10:33 PM
subarutom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Berks-Jack
Forgot to say mine is 53 wrx and just gone past 61k. It hasn't failed me once in the 2.5yrs I've had it. Changed oil every 6 months.
I have saved up the money to do it all in one go really but all the advice is great .i assume you have noticed a big difference in the power with those mods ?
Old 18 May 2012, 11:30 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

I have saved up the money to do it all in one go really but all the advice is great .i assume you have noticed a big difference in the power with those mods ?
I posted the costs just to show that you can pick up 2nd hand bits for if your in no rush to buy and keep an eye out in the sales sections. But yes, buy/ fit all of your parts in 1 go and then map it will be cheaper.

Yes power delivery/ usability has increased massively. I've noticed it more in 3rd and 4th gear, where the car seemed to start to run out of puff towards the top of 3rd it now just keeps on pulling. The throttle pedal seems to have woken up aswell now with running the extra boost. A quick stab of the throttle and the car wants to go, rather than thinking about it 1st then deciding its what you wanted it to do and going for it!
Old 19 May 2012, 12:02 AM
bugblue1
Scooby Regular

all of the above,270/280 big difference,get it done n have some fun m8.
Old 19 May 2012, 01:27 AM
underground.scoobys
Scooby Newbie

your still safe up to 270 with the rest of stock running's no problem.

BASH FROM UNDERGROUND SCOOBYS.
Old 19 May 2012, 03:21 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonNedly
No worries about restrictor pills on blobeyes either.
Not "needed" on any newage but it allows more granular boost control and for the sake of £3 it's worth fitting.

Last edited by Gigsy; 19 May 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 19 May 2012, 06:17 PM
mikescooby
Scooby Regular

I have a my53 wrx mapped with mods running 290. Worth it and plenty quick enough on road. Ive not had a problem with brakes. I dont need to as ive just put uprated ones on
Old 19 May 2012, 09:00 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I converted my old wrx to ppp spec buying all parts 2nd hand then using a tactrix cable to flash the ecu with a Ppp map I had from someone off here, did it all for just over £200. Then fitted sti wheels and front brembo brakes and a white line rear roll bar, was a superb car for how much I spent. Custom map may have been slightly better but I was happy as it was until I wanted more, then I just changed the car for a jdm sti was cheapest option in the long run. But if happy at 260-280bhp a stage 1 modded wrx is just right.
Old 21 May 2012, 10:13 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
You ever had it on a dyno to see if it's running sweet, guessing its just a generic chip you have.

Yep. Took it to Surrey rolling road for JGM to have a look over.
apparently it's slightly lean at the very top end but not dangerously so.

Quick Reply: standard to 280 ish bhp