Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low ratio box becoming a hindrance?

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2012, 12:52 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low ratio box becoming a hindrance?

Hi, just wondered what your thoughts are regards to the low ratio box in the RAs? I have one, at 350bhp, and find i'm throwing gears at it too quickly. I think a higher ratio box will allow me to use the power better. Having to be in 3rd to get to 60 is a pain. To put it into context, i had a play with an evo8, same power at 350, yet it pulled past me, even though i'm lighter. Not impressed when i found out, i assumed he had more power than me. The RA is great fun, but think it feels quicker than it is due to the ratios. I have debated about the 6 speed for a while, which will also let me add the turbo the engine was built for. Anyone done this swap, and noticed improved acceleration times, at the same power? I know the 6 speed is heavier.

Mit
Old 07 May 2012, 12:57 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Shouldn't you be looking at diff ratios rather than gearbox ratios?
Old 07 May 2012, 01:37 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

i love the short ratio box and can only imagine you were in the wrong gear?
Old 07 May 2012, 01:44 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Your train of thought is exactly where i was at a while ago. The RA box is fantastic at giving you tremendous acceleration from the standard engine, and gives a huge sense of urgency in any gear.
I do quite a few track days, and after various upgrades to increase power i found quite a few lesser power cars were faster point to point if it was of any distance. Basically i was having to change gear a lot more often than cars with longer ratios, hence losing time.
As it was with me, power was getting to a point where the box was living on borrowed time anyway, so we opted for a 6 speed, knowing it to be capable.
The outcome is that actual point to point and lap times have reduced noticeably, but on the other hand the car doesn't actually feel as quick as it used to. Which from a time point of view is good, as you find yourself driving harder when it feels slower.
The downside is, i really miss that crazy surge of acceleration in each gear. The longer gears in the 6 really make it feel lazy to drive, i honestly think to get the same brutal feeling from the 6 we are going to need in the region of 450 BHP plus, time will tell.
Hope this helps.
Old 07 May 2012, 02:48 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that debbie sonic. I had a full forged Api build 2 years ago, and would love to slap a bigger turbo/injectors etc on, ultimately 4-450 is where i'd like to be.
As i understand it, as i have the 95 RA, it has the 180 rear diff, so the 6 speed is an easy swap. Maybe if i blow my box up, i'd have to fit one!
And no, i wasn't in the wrong gear!

Mit
Old 07 May 2012, 02:49 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Thats what it (box and final drive ratios) was for, to give the quickest possible acceleration to a largely unmodified GroupN car. As you increase the power over the 250-odd BHP that an A or B series WRX Type-RA Gp.N car would have had, its going to become more of a hinderance than a benefit.

To poster #2: yes, but the front diff is inside the gearbox, so altering the final drive ratios isnt easy.
Old 07 May 2012, 02:58 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mit
Thanks for that debbie sonic. I had a full forged Api build 2 years ago, and would love to slap a bigger turbo/injectors etc on, ultimately 4-450 is where i'd like to be.
As i understand it, as i have the 95 RA, it has the 180 rear diff, so the 6 speed is an easy swap. Maybe if i blow my box up, i'd have to fit one!
And no, i wasn't in the wrong gear!

Mit
is the ra gearing shorter than a type r?,as i can accelerate almost from a standing start in more less any gear without really having to change down,cruiseing in 4th gear at say 30-40mph i could just plant my foot down and not have to worry about changing gear for a while.i understand where you are coming from if you were starting in first gear though.