Dealer & stuff wrong

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2001, 12:23 AM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

I got my car from a dealer, but he seemes to now be playing dumb to things I have mentioned about the car - clutch judder, jerky acceleration off-boost when engine cold, brakes making scraping noise at low speed stops, gear stick occasionally stricking and gears crunching even with clutch fully down.

Can I go to another dealer (apart from the one I bought the car off of) and mention these.
Are they likly to be under warrenty (spelling) ?

just had the car a week.

Any dealers to be recommended in Lothian/Fife/Tayside?

ta
Old 11 April 2001, 12:41 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

1) Is it an officially UK suplied car; if not, where from?

2) Was there a warranty with it when you bought it; if so, Subaru or aftermarket?

3) How old is the car?
Old 11 April 2001, 12:44 AM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

1> offical uk car
2> still about 16 months warranty to go
3> car registed on 9/99
Old 11 April 2001, 01:18 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

SCOSaltire,

Can I recommend you take your car to another dealer if you are being fobbed off like this. After getting more and more annoyed with the dealer I purchased my car from I took it to another dealer (Cheam Motors who are excellent!) for it's 15K service. I just mentioned that I had occasional clutch judder and it is now going in next week to have a new clutch fitted. ALL dealers should know that at the first sign of clutch judder it should be replaced with a P1 clutch.

When you say the brakes make a scraping noise is this not just a sqealing noise?? If it is it is pretty normal. If the noise is a bit more severe have you checked to see if the brake pads are worn out??

I think the Jerky acceleration off boost on MY99,MY00 and MY01 is now refered to as a "feature" of the car (Although mine doesn't do it)

The other problems you mention will more than likely be investigated when the clutch is replaced.
Old 11 April 2001, 02:02 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

hi

the brakes squeal when braking after reversing - but the noise that i hear when braking from forward motion is a low sounding scraping/grinding noise... some stones did get picked up and went into the brakes a few days ago... and I cant remember if the scraping was before the picked stones...

The car was serviced before I picked it up..

the clutch - dealer is still to get back to me...

a feature? - the jerkyness. fine it its 'normal' I can live with it.

I have quickshift... so perhaps the gears related problems are due to that...
Old 11 April 2001, 03:27 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Red face

The car has to be fit for the use it was purchased for. If you continue to get the runaround then get another place to check it out and list what they think is wrong(you'll need to pay for this). This needs to be done in good time so they cannot use wear and tear excuse.
Then go back to the garage with the evidence, if they jerk you round more then trading standards and a letter to the Managing Director is the next step.

Some of the issues may be warranty some not, I know its hindsight but even with cars from a dealer I usually get an independent inspection from the RAC. I know these guys aren't brilliant but they sure as hell know more than me.