you soon get used to the power

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2001, 01:54 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi,

I find that driving the Scoob every day, its easy to forget just how fast she is, as you soon get used to the power and handling.

Then at weekend, had some T@sser in a max'd up XR2 try and take me on at the start of a dual carriageway. 5 seconds on the loud pedal and he was just a small spec in the mirror. I shouldnt be suprised, (it was only an old XR2) but I guess I was a little as I started to think she was getting a bit "slow".

Put a big smile on my face anyway! what a great car!

Old 09 April 2001, 03:49 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

I did the same last weekend going over to preston. Had 2 lads in a modified mini up my **** for several miles. I drove sensibly as I was driving on a stretch of road with police scoobies on. When I came to a roundabout at the beginning of a dual carridgeway he pulled along side and gave me a pathetic "lets race" gesture. I just laughed and floored it. By the time I hit 70 he was just a dot Of course he caught up with me eventually (I just kept at 70), until the next roundabout will they never learn
Old 09 April 2001, 06:49 PM
Nate-old
Scooby Regular

Same here , & my clutch is slipping , Still leaves loads of cars behind though.

Nate
Old 09 April 2001, 07:29 PM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

I had fun yesterday, I went out to check on a route for a Scooby meet and on my return journey I had a bit of fun.

Had some girlie and friend in her Citroen Saxo catch me up in traffic and sat right up my @rse. I couldn't see her grille, that's how close she was and she kept lifting both her hands off the wheel as if to say C'mon you lot.

As soon as I saw my chance to lose this thing behind me I did, I have a naughty little trick of very lightly covering the brake with my left foot. The brake lights come on and with the right foot you boot it, she braked and I went the other way passing 7 cars. It took her 20 miles and a dual carriageway to catch me up, I let them past as I gave a chuckle of laughter.
She gave me the V sign but with only one finger..

Neil

Old 09 April 2001, 09:33 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it she wasnt impressed then !?
Old 09 April 2001, 10:46 PM
Sieze
Scooby Regular

To be honest people race me alot less in the impreza than when I was in an Mx5 or GTi.
Old 09 April 2001, 11:45 PM
mhawes
Scooby Regular

Had a similar thing happen saturday. Turning right at a round about that leads onto a dual carriageway had someone in a 406 turbo deisel (of all things) go round the outside of me (almost on two wheels). Needless to say I let him have his moment untill we got off the round about when I booted it and left him feeling rather stupid on the inside lane. Then sat at 75 til he eventually caught up and passed me where I greeted him with a smug grin. Why do they bother?
Old 10 April 2001, 07:45 AM
p1 media
Scooby Regular

He he he

had to laugh to myself while reading this thread, don't mormally go in for this traffic light thing but yesterday while driving into the city along the embankment ended up in pole position at a set of lights, up next to comes this green Elise revving the hell out of it, he kept looking over at the old P1 revving away madly, thought, em, this should be fun, lights go amber, i'm at the next set of lights 500 yds down the road before he's got out of second gear .......

he looked very **ssed off as a casually waved at him at the next set.....

made me GRRRINNNNNN like mad for the rest of the mornin

Greg

Old 10 April 2001, 08:28 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Wink

Went to North Wales on Saturday and had some fun on the *** and some minor A roads with an E36 M3 and a BMW 328 all at the same time, M3 was V quick in a straight line but did not like those bends. (LOL).

Daz.
Old 10 April 2001, 09:01 AM
EXPAT
Scooby Newbie

Daz,

Be very careful on the ***, you might get a nice letter in the post requesting money!!!
Old 10 April 2001, 09:27 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Know what you mean about getting used to the speed - my STi doesn't feel at all rapid now.
But.......a quick play with a 911 this morning showed me that its just as quick as ever !

Ro.
Old 10 April 2001, 09:46 AM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeh you soon get use to the power,been driving my old mans p100 about for a few weeks,got back in the scoob and realised just why i bought it.soon puts that smile back on ya face
Old 10 April 2001, 09:51 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Does anyone else not give the Maxp gang the satisfaction of booting it to beat them ? I'd rather just do enough to beat them, half the time they just want to see you floor it,
Andyp
Old 10 April 2001, 10:05 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

If you need to use full throttle, you don't have enough power ....
Old 10 April 2001, 10:27 AM
Mulder
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You guys really should pick on cars your own size I ask you..........MINI's!!! I wouldn't have bothered!
Old 10 April 2001, 10:36 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I always get some mondeo rep who doesnt like being overtaken following me on the A47. They travel at 50 and then speed up and up and up!!!!

Jza
Old 10 April 2001, 11:31 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by legacyb4:
<B>BTW, I note speeds of "70" or "75" posted... these are in km/h, I assume? If that is the case, then you all really don't have much competition out there... ;-)[/quote]Give it a couple more years if John Prescott has his way! 70 is 70mph, so about 110km/h, although it's usually "70" if you see what I mean!

Had a 328i playing the "I have a more expensive car than you, so move over" game yesterday. Got onto a roundabout turning right onto a 70 dual carriageway. Opened it up about 1/4 of the way around ... I was about 100 yards in front of him by the time he finally made it onto the straight road.
Old 10 April 2001, 12:37 PM
legacyb4
Scooby Regular

The fun never ends here in Tokyo either, but out here, if you are on the roads at night, you are more than likely to find some serious competition from the hyper-tuned cars...

BTW, I note speeds of "70" or "75" posted... these are in km/h, I assume? If that is the case, then you all really don't have much competition out there... ;-)
Old 10 April 2001, 07:02 PM
melpaul2002
Scooby Regular

i must be missing out here, had the car 6 weeks and not a single similar experience to mention, lots of nice looks in the car thou, not so many where i live.

where in norfolk r u mhawes ??
Old 10 April 2001, 10:24 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

If you're getting used to the speed, and don't mind spending the £££, I'd recommend getting a 2nd car for "normal" trips/city driving. Even if it's still pretty quick e.g. a hot hatch, every time you get back in the Impreza it makes you really appreciate the extra performance.
Old 10 April 2001, 10:33 PM
Hex
Scooby Regular

good idea about the second car. I drive company cars around loads at work, and then get back in the Scoob and smile for days after.

You dont realise how gutless and **** other cars are until you get in a proper one.

Neil

Old 10 April 2001, 10:55 PM
RichardC
Scooby Regular

I agree with NeilT's original comment. I drive my car every day in London, and im lucky if I can get out of second gear before the next set of lights. When you take the car for a REAL drive you have to get used to opening it up again and makes it all the more fun when you get back into the groove
Old 10 April 2001, 11:20 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

i used to drive a civic vti-s for 3 years. that was quick for a 1.8 but boy does the new wrx shift.

the trick is to just out accelerate them enough, and when mr/mrs/miss "giving it the large one" is alongside again and think they have the measure of you, boot it and wave !!

especially good if its the maxp boys with their 16yr old girlie next to them. even better when you stop at the same petrol station and he puts in 10 quid and u fill her up with SUL and roar off into the distance !! hehehehehe

Old 10 April 2001, 11:42 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

There was a Mitsubishi GTO acting the guv'r yesterday on the way into work. So, decided as he was playing the prat it was time to have a pop. My lil old UK98 Turbo held and was gaining on a 280bhp GTO - nice
Old 11 April 2001, 12:51 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Wink

For my station banger I have a Fiesta 1L GL, and it's when I'm in this I appreciate how quick they (Scoobs) really are.

I tried to overtake someone the other day forgetting I was in the Fiesta. Normally no probs, but in the Fiesta, to be honest a little stupid. The guy behind was a little upset, and rightly so.

Also when I get up behind a scoob and they floor it..... no hope

Dave
Old 11 April 2001, 01:18 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I borrowed a deisel metro.... did my car feel fast after that or what!

Thing is my motorcycle is now coming out of the garage more frequently as the weather improves and that has the opposite effect...
the Scooby feels slow... but then with 0-60mph in 2.5seconds and 170mph top end no wonder the Scooby feel slow...