Sponsored by:

would like peoples opinion

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2012, 02:12 PM
scoobywrx92
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool would like peoples opinion

i have a classic 1993 impreza its a standard jap import and running 285bhp i would love it to have 400bhp i was wondering if you could point out the parts i would need like the right turbo i would need exc

cheers lads
Old 27 March 2012, 02:15 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoobywrx92
i have a classic 1993 impreza its a standard jap import and running 285bhp i would love it to have 400bhp i was wondering if you could point out the parts i would need like the right turbo i would need exc

cheers lads
thats going to be an expensive route fella, possibly not worth the cost on such an old car, if you have the money sell it and buy a better base car as you will need new turbo,injectors,fuel pump,exhaust,front mount,remap then the gearbox will not last too long and the clutch wont be happy either.

not to mention upgrading the brakes and suspension to cope with the power.
Old 27 March 2012, 03:40 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

and forging all the internals, or a 2.1.....

Will cost the thick end of 10k for a reliable 400bhp.
Old 27 March 2012, 03:56 PM
scoobywrx92
Scooby Newbie

thanks for giving me something to think about what is the most bhp that my car would be able to take? ive jus had my car re-built i was thinking about upgrading my turbo but what one would my car be able to handle? im upgrading brakes, front mount, ive got straight thou exhaust, straight thou induction kit to go on.

thanks
Old 27 March 2012, 04:18 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Hate to generalise here, but im going to anyway.

Most people who say "i want xxxbhp" are basically saying they want numbers to boast to theyre mates about in the pub!

If you want to make your car real world faster and more enjoyable to drive, the power it has comes way down the line after brakes and suspension.

if your car has coilys, polybushes, big brakes, uprated gearbox etc and theres more to this story than youve let on then i fully apologise and no doubt someone will be along soon to give you a shopping list!

If your saying you have a completely bog standard 93 imp and you want to drop 400bhp into it without bothering with the supporting mods to use it properly.... then im guessing youll so rarely use the 400bhp in the real world that you might aswell just fit some cosmetic performance mods and just tell your mates its 400bhp .... this will save you a hole heap of cash for the same end result!

Probably just me being cynical .... apologies again IF im wrong.
Old 27 March 2012, 04:19 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Bristol98
and forging all the internals, or a 2.1.....

Will cost the thick end of 10k for a reliable 400bhp.
you got to be having a laugh for 400 bhp 10k i dont think so.dont let money put you off have a think about it. parts 2.1 stroker kits are quite reasonable priced these days weakest link would be gearbox plus you have to think about fueling which turbo but can be achieved for less then 10k take your time there no rush
Old 27 March 2012, 04:23 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
Hate to generalise here, but im going to anyway.

Most people who say "i want xxxbhp" are basically saying they want numbers to boast to theyre mates about in the pub!

If you want to make your car real world faster and more enjoyable to drive, the power it has comes way down the line after brakes and suspension.

if your car has coilys, polybushes, big brakes, uprated gearbox etc and theres more to this story than youve let on then i fully apologise and no doubt someone will be along soon to give you a shopping list!

If your saying you have a completely bog standard 93 imp and you want to drop 400bhp into it without bothering with the supporting mods to use it properly.... then im guessing youll so rarely use the 400bhp in the real world that you might aswell just fit some cosmetic performance mods and just tell your mates its 400bhp .... this will save you a hole heap of cash for the same end result!

Probably just me being cynical .... apologies again IF im wrong.
yeah i agree sound advice

Trending Topics

Old 27 March 2012, 04:32 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
you got to be having a laugh for 400 bhp 10k i dont think so.dont let money put you off have a think about it. parts 2.1 stroker kits are quite reasonable priced these days weakest link would be gearbox plus you have to think about fueling which turbo but can be achieved for less then 10k take your time there no rush
Yeah, getting the engine to 400bhp maybe fairly cheap these days but getting a very old classic to take that power is where the rest of the money will be used. Gear boxes and brakes dont come cheap and im sure there would be plenty more to add to the shopping list.
Old 27 March 2012, 04:41 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

It's a nineteen year old car worth £1000. - £1500 max
Even to spend 3k is not financial sense
Why do you need 400 bhp
Do you go on many club drive outs and feel left out at the back
My std Turbo normally leads a grouP and people are happy with
The progress
Are you last at the track days tution is money well spent
We really need the reason for this excessive power
Would it not be better to get a blobeye sti for 5-7 k
Will the rust not take over the classic first ?
Old 27 March 2012, 05:28 PM
scoobywrx92
Scooby Newbie

i understand ur replys and heres my story, i was up santa pod last weekend and i was so inspired by all the classic imprezas goin up the strip in 11 - 12sec and yes i no its a 19 yr old car but i love this car and it has no rust ive taken good care of it.
i dont mind spending on it, 400 bhp mite be above my head but thats what i would like id be happy with 350 i jus want to compete with the big boys i do events brands hatch, lyde hill etc i jus want some peoples ideas

thanks for reading
Old 27 March 2012, 07:24 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

my friend do what you want to do,thats my advice.you spend your money you make your choice.theres nothing wrong with spending money on a classic think,of how much people spend on there pride and joy,my good friend has spent over 50 grand on his cossie over the years and its is a f reg he loves it to bits and i say good luck to him,your always going to get haters in this world.how can anyone say you have to have a reason to have big power,do what you like and dont let anyone put you off.
Old 27 March 2012, 10:06 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Modding is almost always a money losing exercise. We do it cause we want the challenge and go faster, not because we expect to make a profit out of it! Anyway, if the initial car is worth less, there is less to lose on it

There is a myth on scoobynet that you need £10k to make a classic reach 400bhp. Well, you can spend that much by gold plating every part you fit, and to be honest you could make 500bhp with that budget. It is possible to hit 400bhp on less than half of that with little risk of problems, you just need to pick and choose what you do carefully.
Old 27 March 2012, 10:13 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Speak to David at API for an honest answer as to what you actually need, or what you maybe happy with, i.e. say 330bhp - makes a classic fast enough for most people.
Old 27 March 2012, 10:23 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

im inclined to agree with some of above.

its your money, your car, and your hobby.

hobbies are rarley investments. i think most guys are aware there not going to add value to start off with. so many people jump on these threads stating, why you need ths or that. the truth is you dont need it atall - you just wnt it. and if your in a position to affoard it then crack on

my only point in agreement with soem above is just make sure your shell isnt rotten to the core, and going to dissappear on your drive.

after that crack on, do your reading and follow your enjoyment in cars.