Sponsored by:

rear bumper skin removal on a classic

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2012, 10:51 AM
goujon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear bumper skin removal on a classic

ive got a replacement rear bumper coming tomorrow for my classic and want to know is it as easy as the front bumper skin to change, just 2 wheel arch fixings a few bolts at the bottom and the tabs under the lights or is there more fixings? i dont want to take the bumper beam out just the skin, i know i can probably work it out when ive got the replacement bumper in front of me by looking at the fixings it has but thought i might take off the old one today ready for it...

Last edited by goujon; 27 March 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 27 March 2012, 11:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, it's as easy as that.

IIRC: a bolt under the wheelarch, front edge of bumper wraparound, each side.
Clips under the rear edge.
Clips along the top edge, and off she comes.

Might be an idea to squirt some pentrating oil onto the support bar boltheads and if possible, remove the bolts and grease them, so that if it ever DOES have to come off.....

You may be in for a nasty shock with the support bar too: they rust terribly, my front one collapsed, and Andy's (Chocolate O'Brien on here) BOTH did.
Old 27 March 2012, 12:02 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

ok cheers sounds good to me, i know about the fixing each side in the wheel arches and the plastic clips when you remove the lights but never seen the other fixings, so they're under but where about or will i see them when i get under?
Old 27 March 2012, 12:32 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

easiest way is to remove the side clips as mentioned, then all the bolts underneath holding the bar. Move the bar out a little bit and you will see the clips at the top. There are about 8-10 of them. That way you dont remove the entire bumper but gives you access to those pesky clips which are hidden from view
Old 27 March 2012, 12:41 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

ah ok so ill need to undo and loosen the bar to get to the 8-10 top clips is that what your saying? can't i just open the boot and take the lights and trim out or arent the clips visable? ill just have go go and have a look and see then report back if i get stuck.
Old 27 March 2012, 03:13 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

ok done... it came off pretty easy the hardest bit was finding tools i need from the shed and the 2 wheel arch fixings needed a bit of wd40 and some help but apart from that not too bad so now i know and tomorrow the replacement should go on no problem. only thing now is i took the back wheels off to get to the fixings and get rid of the mud flaps and now after putting wheels back on im getting the antilock brakes light up on the dash...?
Old 27 March 2012, 07:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Have you disturbed the wiring at all?

Trending Topics

Old 27 March 2012, 07:38 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

i dont know, all i did was take off the rear wheels. i think it might of happened when i took off the right rear which i took off 1st as after i did that side i put the wheel back on and moved the car over to get to the other side for the left rear wheel, it was then that i noticed the antilock brake light on so it must be that wheel thats caused the problem but i just took off the bumper and put the wheels back ready for the other bumper tomorrow. the brakes do work as i moved it over and i cant see any leaks or brake line loose or hanging off ill have to have a proper look tomorrow when i take off that right rear wheel but what do i need to look for if its caused the antilock brake light to come on?
Old 28 March 2012, 12:59 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

replacement rear bumper now on and washed looks good enough also the antilock brake light has gone out, must of been something to do with not having the rear lights connected at the time or maybe something was disturbed but now is ok again anyway im just happy its done.
Old 28 March 2012, 06:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Easy, isn't it? Before you know where you are, you'#ll be removing them both to wash behind them..........

Well, maybe not
Old 29 March 2012, 09:14 AM
goujon
Scooby Regular

yeah it was easy but only because the bumper must of been removed by the previous owner as the hard to get to clips beneath the boot area were missing so made it very easy, just the 6 clips under the lights, centre fixing under number plate, 2 in the arches and 2 at bottom corners so came off pretty quick but thats enough for me. so you have a red classic then like me?
Old 29 March 2012, 09:31 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yep. 559 Bright Red.

Looks good when clean, but boy, does it fade?
Old 29 March 2012, 09:44 AM
goujon
Scooby Regular

ha ha yep you know it fades big time but still like it, mines a 97 but i changed the front end to the 99 shape and full crystal pack and now the new rear bumper has colour coded spats i just need the side skirts colour coding then will be happy also want to add a p1 splitter but keep it black.
Old 29 March 2012, 12:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Ha! A mere novice then?

Mine is fully colour-coded, spats, sideskirts, mirrors and door-handles.
The mirrors are the folding ones off a JDM car.
The front end is all 99: bumper, grille, crystal lights.
The rear is standard apart from the colour coding and a genuine v6 STi spoiler.
The crystal headlights have been split and had proper HID projectors fitted.
The front splitter is a P1 replica from HTA.
And the foglights have been ditched in favour of a pair of Hella 1000FF in HID format.

Plus the interior is all 99: STi v6 seats, 99 doorcards and a steering wheel off a WR1, plus a 6 speed box.

Mind, I HAVE had it a few years.
Old 29 March 2012, 03:29 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

nice sounds good and similar to mine what year is yours then and what model? mines just a turbo 2000, i also converted my headlights to hid and foglights even though i now have foglight covers lol. ive also got a genuine v6 sti high level spoiler and sti rear lights, tinted windows, rota subzero lightweight 17"s and its got a v3 sti intercooler, catback 2.5" scorpion exhaust, blitz sus induction kit and a manual boost controller. i put mintex pads all round and grooved drilled new discs and got goodridge braided brake lines to put on sometime its not mint but looks alright i just need to replace the bonnet and one day get the front left wing dent sorted but for now its ok and i might colour the skirts myself.
Old 29 March 2012, 03:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

98 on an "S" plate, had it from new, UK car.

Now running a fully forged 2.5, around 400/400, FMIC, HS TD05 20g, 740cc injectors, HKS induction, decat, coilovers, geometry setup, WRX 04 wheels, Brembos all round, (the fronts use some smaller calipers Ian used to be able to get at Godspeed) 335mm front. STi rears.

Currently gone in for rear arch repair and repair to rear bumper I did at Harvey's when the car was out of action: I let it roll off the trailer and caught Harvey's gate
Old 29 March 2012, 03:54 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

nice sounds like a bit of a monster so it only looks similar to mine, mechanically its totally different and youve had it from new must of cost you loads to do all that work but i suppose youve done it over time, ive had mine 3 years now.
Old 18 June 2012, 03:42 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
98 on an "S" plate, had it from new, UK car.

Now running a fully forged 2.5, around 400/400, FMIC, HS TD05 20g, 740cc injectors, HKS induction, decat, coilovers, geometry setup, WRX 04 wheels, Brembos all round, (the fronts use some smaller calipers Ian used to be able to get at Godspeed) 335mm front. STi rears.

Currently gone in for rear arch repair and repair to rear bumper I did at Harvey's when the car was out of action: I let it roll off the trailer and caught Harvey's gate
Know how you feel bud
Old 18 June 2012, 05:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

it's back up to looking good again: rear arch repair was £220, rear bumper repair and respary to both, £80.

All I need do now is get my wheels refurbed.
Old 18 June 2012, 06:28 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Good useful thread this - what Scoobynet is about. I'm still to get round to my rear bumper bar change Got the new clips, just need some time. The top clips look the worst, is there any under the rear light clusters?
Old 18 June 2012, 07:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yes, but you'll get at those when you undo the three bolts per side and the clips under the sides and back edge, and slide the entire bumper out.

You DON'T want to be removing the rear lights, unless you want to buy some Carafax too?
Old 18 June 2012, 07:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

One of my rear lights has signs of water leakage so maybe worth looking into it...
Old 18 June 2012, 07:57 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Just removed mine, what a pain that was, prob been easier to undo both clips each side, then bolt off bumper bar. Both clips on slides broke off. Well i hack sawed the wheel arch ones as they wouldn't budge an inch
Old 19 June 2012, 12:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Which clips wouldn't go?
Having hack-sawed them, are they replaceable?
Old 19 June 2012, 12:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
One of my rear lights has signs of water leakage so maybe worth looking into it...
Buy BEFORE you do the job: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...All-Categories
Old 20 June 2012, 12:40 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Which clips wouldn't go?
Having hack-sawed them, are they replaceable?
Rear arch ones, i tried everything wouldn't come off, hack saw worked a treat. few broke under nearth aswell, will prob use bolts for arches and have some new spare clips bought while back for when removed front bumper
Old 20 June 2012, 10:07 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Bolts are good, make sure you can get at the nuts easily enough, use stainless, a larger than normal flat washer under the bolt head will prevent pull-through.

I grease the rears of mine with high temperature grease, muck clings to it, but they ALWAYS undo