WRX 95, Safe to Remap?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2012, 12:02 AM
impreza82
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX 95, Safe to Remap?

Hi people,

I currently own a prefacelift 95 WRX, its pretty standard but a good engine, fsh and only on 50k so far I was thinking this seems like a strong car to remap and maybe get a bit more power out off, nothing silly but I was thinking of hitting the 300BHP mark.

But Ive recently had a conversation with a nice guy at extreme scoobies in chelmsford, essex. I was enquiring as to see if they do maps. The nice guy said yes depending on the car, I informed him of the age and model of the car, he advised wouldnt recommend it bearing in mind the age of the engine and gearbox, he said he had seen to many classic Impreza running higher boost and a few weeks later they are back in the workshop with heads or boxes gone. I apprichate his honestly and integraty so really unsure what to do now?
Old 24 March 2012, 01:18 AM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

The heads aren't likely to be an issue. Other things will go first.

The gearboxes are weak on the 92-96 cars. But they'll be absolutely fine at 300bhp. They start getting unreliable as you push around 330bhp or so, but unless you uprate your fuel system and intercooler 330 is unlikely anyway.

If the car is a good original car that hasn't been mucked about with and hasn't got too many miles on the clock then age is really irrelevant. Mileage and how it has been treated in the past are more important.

Knock can kill big end bearings but to be honest a properly mapped 300bhp is probably no more risky in this regard to the standard map, as the mapper can check the car is running exactly as it should be.
Old 24 March 2012, 09:18 AM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

age and model mean nothing mate.i have a 93 wrx and getting it mapped.obviously not going mad and doing loads to get 350+ but looking for 300 and nice and safe.a good mapper will be able to get a safe map done and not push it
Old 24 March 2012, 09:43 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by impreza82
Hi people,

I currently own a prefacelift 95 WRX, its pretty standard but a good engine, fsh and only on 50k so far I was thinking this seems like a strong car to remap and maybe get a bit more power out off, nothing silly but I was thinking of hitting the 300BHP mark.

But Ive recently had a conversation with a nice guy at extreme scoobies in chelmsford, essex. I was enquiring as to see if they do maps. The nice guy said yes depending on the car, I informed him of the age and model of the car, he advised wouldnt recommend it bearing in mind the age of the engine and gearbox, he said he had seen to many classic Impreza running higher boost and a few weeks later they are back in the workshop with heads or boxes gone. I apprichate his honestly and integraty so really unsure what to do now?
So he wouldn't advise having a Jap imported car remapped then..... Even though this should be first port of call on a Jap import. Our fuel is nowhere near as potent as the japs so having the car mapped is a MUST.
Forget what the 'nice guy' said to you buddy, he has made a mistake.
Old 25 March 2012, 10:02 PM
impreza82
Scooby Regular

Ok cheers guys, I'm a bit of a novice from what I have read the prefacelifts are not mappable? I would need something like a power fc?
Old 26 March 2012, 09:51 PM
impreza82
Scooby Regular

Now read that PFC are rear for my age of car lol
Old 26 March 2012, 10:07 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Speak to a mapper regarding your options chap. You have quite a few.