Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idiot's guide to selling my Scooby ?

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2012, 10:14 PM
Andy Hobson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiot's guide to selling my Scooby ?

It's with a much regret that I am finally going to be selling my pride and joy after 11 years. I've always sold to a mate or p/x ed but this time it looks like I'll be selling via this site or Pistonheads. I just wanted to tap into the collective experiences here with a few dumb questions:

1. Should I offer a test drive from my home or an alternative location ?

2. My insurance only covers me as a driver. Would you allow a buyer to test drive the car on their insurance ? It would only be 3rd party at best !

3. What are the safest ways to take payment ? Cash, banker's draft, Paypal ?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks !
Old 19 March 2012, 10:43 PM
maca1983
Scooby Regular

Yes.............No..............Paypal

(just my opinion)
Old 19 March 2012, 10:52 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Ask yourself this to your questions.

Question 1). Would you meet a seller of a car you wanted at somewhere other than the sellers house for your own peace of mind and safety.

Question 2). Would you buy a car the seller would not let you drive

And to your last one, for me it has to be instant and cleared funds so I would walk a million miles away from PayPal, for one it takes 4-5 days to be transfered from your PayPal account to your bank by that time the car is long gone but more importantly the buyer can create all kinds of issues by retracting the payment then it goes to a dispute and has to be open for so many days etc etc. Always get cold cash or bankers draft but do what I try to do and get it done at your bank take the log book and once the cashier tells you its all done Mr "surname" then sign the log book over.

If the guy stacks it on the way home then there's no issue that they dispute the payment etc.

Pay the fee and pop an ad up on here if you want to reduce the time wasters

Best of luck
Old 20 March 2012, 08:43 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bank tranfer. Take the buyer to the bank do an irreversable instant tranfer or bankers draft. Check with cashier that it's not reversable, or contact your bank for details on this kind of transaction.
Old 20 March 2012, 09:14 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve makes a lot of sense.

I have bought and sold quite a lot of cars now, and all my experiences (good and bad) say that you *must* meet the seller at his home address, and usually the home is used to invite in and look at relevent paperwork and count the cash. This obviously give you a sense of trust towards the seller, and gives you plenty time to look at the required paperwork without feeling under pressure, and equally makes it easier to count the notes if your talking several thousands.

I have met buyers and seller say in a mutual place (half way house), but the only trouble with this is from a buyer point of view is that the car has been "run" and therefore cannot be heard from a cold start. From a seller point of view I see no trouble with this if the buyer knows the score, but unless your confident in both cases of "seller" or "buyer" have someone with you..... Ive had some dodgey pikeys in the past attempting to buy cars from me.... long story not worth mentioning.

A test drive is a must in my opinion. If the buyer has half a brain he will have insurance "primed" before viewing the car, and then if everything looks ok on inspection, and owners test drive, he should then be making that all important call to his own insurance to get cover before his/her test drive. This also helps if its done pre-haggling and they are almost certain to buy the car anyway.

Good luck.

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 20 March 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 20 March 2012, 01:38 PM
Andy Hobson
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll get an ad up onto SN next week hopefully and then see how it pans out
Old 20 March 2012, 01:48 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

which model will you be selling?

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2012, 02:22 PM
Andy Hobson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigo
which model will you be selling?