Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of trading up to a STi Hatch and got a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2012, 01:02 PM
scottydwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of trading up to a STi Hatch and got a few questions...

Right thinking of trading up my 07 Hawkeye WRX to an STi hatch this year, trying to start a bit of research and got a few questions for you hatch owners/experts:

1) The engine failure issue - Is there a definite production date from which the issue was sorted out and how was it sorted out? Did the earlier models have a remap to sort out the issue and how can this be checked?

2) What plate/model year did they drop the Impreza name to just WRX STi. I think it coincided with the new saloon release and is it from this date that the leather Recaros came as standard?

3) For earlier version than above was leather an available option and what other options were available and desirable?

4) Has there be an major changes to spec/equipment over the last 4 years?

5) Do they have bluetooth connectivity for phone and cruise control?
Old 17 March 2012, 01:13 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I would skip the hatch and wait for the BRZ to be released... or better yet, the STi version of it, cant be too long.
Old 17 March 2012, 01:41 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by scottydwrx
Right thinking of trading up my 07 Hawkeye WRX to an STi hatch this year, trying to start a bit of research and got a few questions for you hatch owners/experts:

1) The engine failure issue - Is there a definite production date from which the issue was sorted out and how was it sorted out? Did the earlier models have a remap to sort out the issue and how can this be checked?
IM say the latest maps have resolve this issue, which wasn't a "Subaru" Issue, just owner error IIRC.
Easiest option is to ask how many engine rebuilds it had

2) What plate/model year did they drop the Impreza name to just WRX STi. I think it coincided with the new saloon release and is it from this date that the leather Recaros came as standard?
Yes 2011,
3) For earlier version than above was leather an available option and what other options were available and desirable?
leather Recaros and keyless entry were availble as std in "top spec" in 2008 Euro and JDM imports also in special editions and optional.
Yes they are gradually learning how to map a car properly with a wideband ECU and FLW throttle. IMHO
as with the recaros the "Top spec" has, but not sure about "Mid Spec" UK's

were you after new or second hand Hatch?

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 17 March 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 17 March 2012, 02:04 PM
AN07 PTN
Scooby Regular

sod the brz 2wheel drive not for me thanks it might look nice but there is more to a car than looks imo
Old 17 March 2012, 02:08 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AN07 PTN
sod the brz 2wheel drive not for me thanks it might look nice but there is more to a car than looks imo
but it is driving the correct 2 wheels and not a torque steering front wheel drive ford or vauxhall
Old 17 March 2012, 02:13 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Some of us want the turbo power though! 200bhp n/a car sounds nauseating to me. I've had an S2000 and that was slooow with 240bhp!

Cars without turbos make me nervous lol
Old 17 March 2012, 02:22 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Number 1:- There was a pak file download released early on in the hatches life around the 6th june 2008 which was to cure the abnormal combustion behaviour around the rev limiter.

Number 2:- late 2010 they dropped the impreza name and went to wrx sti, But personally I would ditch the wrx logo to and just opt for the sti alone, looks far cleaner. The recaro's also became std fit at that point also, Unless you bought a 330s whichwas the earlier version which also had them fitted.

Number 3:- Not sure about the options on the leather interior as far as I'm aware Transform leather could do something with the seats if needs be.

Number 4:- the 2010 onwards model came equipt with handsfree bluetooth for your phone and the controls mounted on the steering wheel for that on the left hand side under the radio controls.

Number 5:- Cruise control was std fit on all uk or european import hatches, it wasnt fitted to the JDM hatches though. Bluetooth as said above was late 2010 it was introduced as the radio changed to incoporate the handfree calling

Hope this helps

Trending Topics

Old 17 March 2012, 02:27 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

rob am i correct in thinking you work for subaru??

im considering a hatch/saloon as my next car, are they the same running gear wise as the hawk??

i wasnt taken with the looks of the hatch at first but i can be greatly improved with a few subtle mods, yours looks great,just read the feature in total impreza, but white engine bits! you tart lol
Old 17 March 2012, 02:33 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
rob am i correct in thinking you work for subaru??

im considering a hatch/saloon as my next car, are they the same running gear wise as the hawk??

i wasnt taken with the looks of the hatch at first but i can be greatly improved with a few subtle mods, yours looks great,just read the feature in total impreza, but white engine bits! you tart lol
Correct, I work For a Subaru main dealer as a Technician

Engine block is the same, Heads are different so is the turbo & radiator.
Gearbox is different, revised ratio's & no longer fitted with an oil pump & has a torque plate & electric center diff control Instead of a fully electric center diff.

suspension layout is different as it's basically the same setup as a legacy now so the subframe in the rear needs some bushes to stop a little float they have.

The white engine ... well I got bored of the red so shotblasted it all and went for the black and white theme. God it's not easy to keep clean
Old 17 March 2012, 02:35 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by rob84
Correct, I work For a Subaru main dealer as a Technician

Engine block is the same, Heads are different so is the turbo & radiator.
Gearbox is different, revised ratio's & no longer fitted with an oil pump & has a torque plate & electric center diff control Instead of a fully electric center diff.

suspension layout is different as it's basically the same setup as a legacy now so the subframe in the rear needs some bushes to stop a little float they have.

The white engine ... well I got bored of the red so shotblasted it all and went for the black and white theme. God it's not easy to keep clean
so i assume you have driven the older stis i.e. blob/hawk, how do they drive compared to older models, im hoping to have a go in emzs hatch when i get my *** in gear and go to a meet.
Old 17 March 2012, 02:40 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

so i assume you have driven the older stis i.e. blob/hawk, how do they drive compared to older models, im hoping to have a go in emzs hatch when i get my *** in gear and go to a meet.
I had a 53reg Blob sti Prior to the hatch, I'm in and out of alsorts at work to so I get a good mix of driving in each model.

My own personal opinion the hatch does feel very very planted and stable on the road, Granted in standard trim and power they dont appear as if there is any urgency anymore But look down at the speedo and it's fairly shifting on.

with a few little bits and pieces done to the car like re bushing the subframes etc etc it's like a go-Kart basically throw it anywere and it will sit firm and not offer to budge an inch, and the added bonus of the torque in the 2.5 it likes to pull from very low down in the rev range something my old 2.0 sti didnt really like doing.

Have a shot in Emz's you'll be quite supprised how well they go
Old 17 March 2012, 02:41 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Still can't warm to the hatch hawk ra-r instead?

TX.
Old 17 March 2012, 04:56 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

but it is driving the correct 2 wheels and not a torque steering front wheel drive ford or vauxhall
People buy Subaru for the 4x4 factor.
Old 17 March 2012, 05:59 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I was talking about the ones that are still to come, 2 other models to be released (hopefully this year), with one being aimed at track day users...
Old 17 March 2012, 06:09 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by grahamc
2 other models to be released (hopefully this year), with one being aimed at track day users...
The stripped BRZ with "throw away" seats wheels and brakes etc

There is also talk of the MK2 engine fitted to the STi range this year, which has FMIC and front fitted Turbo.

And the Dual powered hybrid WRX version is iminent

Tony
Old 17 March 2012, 09:19 PM
scottydwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
Number 1:- There was a pak file download released early on in the hatches life around the 6th june 2008 which was to cure the abnormal combustion behaviour around the rev limiter.

Number 2:- late 2010 they dropped the impreza name and went to wrx sti, But personally I would ditch the wrx logo to and just opt for the sti alone, looks far cleaner. The recaro's also became std fit at that point also, Unless you bought a 330s whichwas the earlier version which also had them fitted.

Number 3:- Not sure about the options on the leather interior as far as I'm aware Transform leather could do something with the seats if needs be.

Number 4:- the 2010 onwards model came equipt with handsfree bluetooth for your phone and the controls mounted on the steering wheel for that on the left hand side under the radio controls.

Number 5:- Cruise control was std fit on all uk or european import hatches, it wasnt fitted to the JDM hatches though. Bluetooth as said above was late 2010 it was introduced as the radio changed to incoporate the handfree calling

Hope this helps
Thanks for all the info,

So basically a 60 plate should have all the up to date spec and the leather recaros? And would a car of this age have a mapped ECU from the factory to cure the previous issues?
Old 17 March 2012, 09:35 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info,

So basically a 60 plate should have all the up to date spec and the leather recaros? And would a car of this age have a mapped ECU from the factory to cure the previous issues?
the 60 plate was the very start of the latest spec & should be fitted with all the above, make sure it's not a early 2010 model which has been lying around in dealer stock and registered on a 60 as this most likely wont be the same spec.

the mapping on the late 2010 onwards version is all sorted and no problems to report at all
Old 18 March 2012, 09:12 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing to note the standard stereo sounds good but the handsfree is poo
I use mine for business and had 3 stereos due to a small issue my bat ears spotted I eventually opted for the pioneer 930bt which uses parrot handsfree which is better but bare in mind the cars are noisy not BMW quiet, but fine for talking to the mates, I sit on a call in the morning at 9am and I always have to go on mute cos of the noise

Other than that, mate get a 60 plate it has everything you asked for and I'm 17000 miles in and it's been perfect if I could choose I'd probably say more people look at you in the saloon people still look at me driving and I've had people even take photos whilst behind me or passing , but practically the hatch is better, loads of room because it's a hatch and in black with black alloys stealth mode they look great I think anyway

Good luck

Ted
Old 18 March 2012, 09:29 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^

the more sort after Hatch's are in White though
Old 18 March 2012, 09:30 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by salsa-king
^^^

the more sort after Hatch's are in White though
Have to say its the colour i would choose
Old 18 March 2012, 10:27 AM
StanS
Scooby Regular

But everyone knows the blue ones are quicker !