Sponsored by:

Watch out the 40mph crew are out today

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2012, 01:41 PM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch out the 40mph crew are out today

You know the ones the 40 in the 60 and 40 in the 30 crew.

I just had to over take some plank doing 40 in the 60 max speed i did to over take was 60 as that's all what was needed and i left them way out of my mirrors miles back . the road then turns to 30 and i did 30 and guess what they came speeding right through the 30 just so they could sit 3cm off my back bumper i did think of sticking on my breaks but they were that close thay would have hit me no question. so I never sped but they were quite happy to mow children down in the 30 and they gave me the evils like i had done something wrong grrrrrrr

rant over .
Old 15 March 2012, 01:47 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

So if you hadn't overtaken them, they would have arrived sooner, and you would have arrived at the same time, and you're ranting </devil's advocate>
Old 15 March 2012, 02:06 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I'm with the OP, tends to be old farts ... you know who you are

TX.
Old 15 March 2012, 02:15 PM
JamesWalker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
So if you hadn't overtaken them, they would have arrived sooner, and you would have arrived at the same time, and you're ranting </devil's advocate>
the point is not about destination arrival time. had OP have sat doing 40 in a 60, who knows what mayhem would have happened when he arrived to work? The anger...
Old 15 March 2012, 03:38 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the washer jets going when they are that close to you, with a bit of left foot on the brake while still on the gas they soon get the idea
Old 15 March 2012, 03:46 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lisa_z
I just had to over take some plank doing 40 in the 60 max speed
Er that's not illegal. It's a limit not a target!
Old 15 March 2012, 03:53 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Er that's not illegal. It's a limit not a target!
It's a zone! would you do 50 down the m1?

UK Speed Limits - A Guide To Driving At The Correct Speed
You should always keep your speed below the maximum speed limit for the road you are driving on. Although you are not legally obliged to drive at the maximum speed limit, if it is safe to do, you should try and drive at a speed that at least approaches it for instance in a 40mph zone your speed should be between 35 and 40mph.

Driving too slowly can be as dangerous as driving too fast. The driver who toddles along a 60mph road at 40mph causes tailbacks and frustration. This can lead to dangerous overtaking manoeuvres and other road safety issues.

Last edited by specialx; 15 March 2012 at 03:59 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 15 March 2012, 04:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by specialx

UK Speed Limits - A Guide To Driving At The Correct Speed
You should always keep your speed below the maximum speed limit for the road you are driving on. Although you are not legally obliged to drive at the maximum speed limit, if it is safe to do, you should try and drive at a speed that at least approaches it for instance in a 40mph zone your speed should be between 35 and 40mph.

Driving too slowly can be as dangerous as driving too fast. The driver who toddles along a 60mph road at 40mph causes tailbacks and frustration. This can lead to dangerous overtaking manoeuvres and other road safety issues.

Good post.
Old 15 March 2012, 04:45 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

What he said ^

If you went too slowly in your driving test youd fail it for "not making good progress"

My first decent car was rear ended at the end of a half mile straight while i waited for the guy in front to turn, and an old duffer rear ended me without even thinking about braking!

On a plus note though, overtook one a while back doing 30 in a 60 and slowing down to tractor speed for the bends, just after the overtake i entered a village and drove past a speed camera! just after i saw the flash flash in my mirrors and thought id been done .... turns out it was the duffer whod caught me up in the 30 zone .... **** head!

I quite like the left foot trail braking technique, especially when getting hustled on a dual carriageway .... my day to day runabout wont do more than 80, so regularly encounter idiots trying to hustle me out of the way! .... as a matter of principal i make sure i delay them! ... anyone that gives me space i make sure im out of the way as soon as poss.
Old 15 March 2012, 04:46 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes are not legally allowed to do more than 40mph on a single carrigaeway national speed limit/60mph road.

Are they driving too slowly too?
Old 15 March 2012, 05:02 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No but they're big enough to make you respect them! I must admit I stick religiously to speed limits in 30 and 40 zones and **** a lot of drivers off as the 30 limits on the IOM are virtually ignored by the majority of drivers here. 39mph is the all island limit for most!

Mind you- my car underreads by a steady 4mph so no wonder they are pissed off. The National limit is more fun, Scoobycountry!
Old 15 March 2012, 05:12 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes are not legally allowed to do more than 40mph on a single carrigaeway national speed limit/60mph road.

They would not be doing 40 in a 30 now would they.
Old 15 March 2012, 05:26 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

They would not be doing 40 in a 30 now would they.
Er... you were complaining they were driving too slowly at 40mph in a 60mph and this was dangerous, but I get it now. It's only too slow if they then do 40 in a 30, if they slow down to 30 in a 30 then 40 in a 60 is not too slow
Old 15 March 2012, 08:38 PM
w3lshboyo
Scooby Regular

must of been on the same road's today lisa been behind loads today well annoying
Old 15 March 2012, 08:48 PM
FurballPhil
Scooby Regular

If they drive up your **** and stay there, Have a wee bit of over-run mapped and just feather the throttle and melt his front bumper..

Or........... Have a spray bottle of water/oil mixture and spray it behind you..... (Don`t take that one too seriously, but would be a sure way of him backing off and stopping when he used his wipers.. )
Old 15 March 2012, 09:11 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

i know exactly what the OP is going on about, i see it all the time and it drives me slowly nuts.
annoys me more when i did overtake and im doing the speed limits to have them up my chuff in the 30mph zones....

there is a 20mph zone in my estate, but no one seems to obey it...
i always end up with people right up my bumper whilst i stick to the speed limit thru the estate arghhhhhhhhhh
Old 15 March 2012, 10:51 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Yes they are, shouldn't be allowed on the roads if they can't keep up with the flow of traffic !

Just create rolling roadblocks !

Mind you, I think wagons should be banned along with caravans, cyclists and horse riders anyway !
Old 16 March 2012, 12:53 AM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lisa_z
You know the ones the 40 in the 60 and 40 in the 30 crew.

I just had to over take some plank doing 40 in the 60 max speed i did to over take was 60 as that's all what was needed and i left them way out of my mirrors miles back . the road then turns to 30 and i did 30 and guess what they came speeding right through the 30 just so they could sit 3cm off my back bumper i did think of sticking on my breaks but they were that close thay would have hit me no question. so I never sped but they were quite happy to mow children down in the 30 and they gave me the evils like i had done something wrong grrrrrrr

rant over .
You know what, I've been moaning about this bunch of talentless, road unaware, self righteous, stubborn, selfish b4stards for years!! So glad you've had the cahoonas to start a thread on them... They get right on my pigmys **** end.. I over-take them at a genuine 60mph (sometimes) and they flash once past!! Ok, it may SOUND like 180mph but it's not lol If you're following one and you rightly slow to 30 in a 30 they just disappear into the distance, past schools, zebra crossings, built up areas..

Anyhoo, I feel better for a quick rant
Old 16 March 2012, 07:50 AM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

You would be suprised how many cars I overtake on the motorway at work (hgv driver) god knows what they are thinking! Funny how you move too overtake and then they suddenly remember their car can go over 50

Originally Posted by TheVoices
Yes they are, shouldn't be allowed on the roads if they can't keep up with the flow of traffic !

!
No they are not! The fact that most ignore this limit is irrelevant, the limit is 40, camera vans will prosecute and if you have an accident the old bill can prove you were speeding easily from your tachograph. HGV drivers on the whole think such a low limit is stupid. We don't enjoy holding folks up contrary to popular belief, except maybe tesco drivers
Old 16 March 2012, 02:19 PM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

You know what, I've been moaning about this bunch of talentless, road unaware, self righteous, stubborn, selfish b4stards for years!! So glad you've had the cahoonas to start a thread on them... They get right on my pigmys **** end.. I over-take them at a genuine 60mph (sometimes) and they flash once past!! Ok, it may SOUND like 180mph but it's not lol If you're following one and you rightly slow to 30 in a 30 they just disappear into the distance, past schools, zebra crossings, built up areas..

Anyhoo, I feel better for a quick rant

^^^^^

THIS!! Drives me bonkers..... And anyone on a motorway/dual carriage way that is going slow enough to be overtaken by a lorry should have their licence taken away from them!

I travel a lot of single track roads on my way to and from work everyday. Everyday means I know how the road lay out is, know how and where you can look at the road and bends etc ahead of me to make sure it is clear (BASICS!)
...but I STILL get caught behind the same old suspects that fear their car will tip over if they put any degree of steering angle on above 5mph!

I catch them at ridiculous rates (I drive a 1.4 Year 200 Ibiza with 110,000 miles on the clock and probably 40bhp left) because I can read the road ahead. Don't be fooled into thinking I cane it- I drive in maximum fuel efficiency mode.

But I catch up all manner of descent cars driving like absolute fannies who feel it is their GOD GIVEN RIGHT to manage the speed of the commuter train they build up behind them.

NO pulling over to let the faster cars past
NO easing off in the wider sections to let cars go through
NO pulling to one side of the wider sections to let you past

just pure ignorance of "he's not getting past me"

It is ridiculous.