HG failure on new build.

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2012, 09:37 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HG failure on new build.

Hi all,
Seriously pissed off as have confirmed today my head gaskets have failed. Only just got the car ready for the summer fully forged engine only just run in.
On Wednesday had it mapped for methanol & it ran slightly hot, parked it up to cool down & just put it down to being driven hard while mapping.

Since then whenever it's driven hard on boost it spews all it's coolant out the expansion tube. I'm worried about doing the gaskets as it was all Skimmed on the build which included a CDB ARP studs & Cometic gaskets,what's to stop it going again. It's only done 2500 miles & running 440 BHP, there is no way it should have blown.
Do & rebuild again or break the money pit? It's already cost a fortune to build it to this spec & I can't afford failures like this every 2500 miles.
Old 10 March 2012, 09:39 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
Hi all,
Seriously pissed off as have confirmed today my head gaskets have failed. Only just got the car ready for the summer fully forged engine only just run in.
On Wednesday had it mapped for methanol & it ran slightly hot, parked it up to cool down & just put it down to being driven hard while mapping.

Since then whenever it's driven hard on boost it spews all it's coolant out the expansion tube. I'm worried about doing the gaskets as it was all Skimmed on the build which included a CDB ARP studs & Cometic gaskets,what's to stop it going again. It's only done 2500 miles & running 440 BHP, there is no way it should have blown.
Do & rebuild again or break the money pit? It's already cost a fortune to build it to this spec & I can't afford failures like this every 2500 miles.
are you sure its not an airlock?
Old 10 March 2012, 09:42 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

What's on her spec wise,interested in parts
On a serious note I had some cometic MLS gaskets fail after roughly the same mileage on a forged build and then went to genuine suabru MLS type and fine ever since[4k on theses]
Old 10 March 2012, 09:52 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

It's not an air lock, Iv messed around draining & refilling for hours since Wednesday it's fine until allowed to boost then it spews half it's coolant out the expansion tube.
The spec is good 6 speed Simtec FMIC RCM 400 plus the usual goodies.
I thought Cometic were the best? Perhaps I was misinformed.
Old 10 March 2012, 09:52 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

sorry to hear this mate, i have read a few things about cometic gaskets failing, maybe changing to a different make will help
Old 10 March 2012, 09:55 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

They are good but didn't work on mine,I very nearly broke my motor over the failure and if it wasn't for the fact I build them myself I would have due to the massive cost.
Old 10 March 2012, 10:02 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Seems I'm not alone, anyone else know of premature failure of cometics? What's best then for my spec Subaru or Cosworth & do I switch to Cosworth studs too? The worrying thing is will my bottom end fail next as Iv often heard happening after HG failure & as I'm running 1.6 mm gaskets dare I risk another skim or are my heads now scrap too. I love my car but perhaps it's time to throw in the towel.

Trending Topics

Old 10 March 2012, 10:07 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

If she has gone bad enough to blow a lot of coolant out on boost then there is a fair chance the heads are warped also and I wouldn't personally want to skim again but only a deck height check will tell you whether the heads have a skimable amount left in them.
Mine didn't go that bad but I did buy some reworked heads off Mick from API to put on mine at that point.

Either way I think it will be an expensive build for you mate
Old 10 March 2012, 10:30 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

If I can get some used heads what's this likely to cost me?
Old 10 March 2012, 10:32 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Can you build it yourself Rich?
Old 10 March 2012, 10:38 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Default HG

Originally Posted by prodriverules
Can you build it yourself Rich?
Yes I can. Just worried it may do it again or the bottom end fail next. Is Cosworth gaskets & studs the best?
Old 10 March 2012, 10:42 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Yes I can. Just worried it may do it again or the bottom end fail next. Is Cosworth gaskets & studs the best?
Well some sti heads will be around 3-400,then the cosworth studs and gaskets will be around the same along with new seals/cambelt so I'd say you wouldn't get out of it under a grand I'm afraid by the time you have the new heads slightly skimmed to level those's as well.

To top that off you will require a map tweak to check the knock levels are ok etc
Old 10 March 2012, 10:48 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had an issue with 1 set of cosworth gaskets, they didnt last 3000 miles on mine even with the heads & block face skimmed, stripped it fitted another set of cosworth gaskets and it's been no issue since
Old 10 March 2012, 11:21 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

iv never known a block to be skimmed after hg failure. on any car?
Old 10 March 2012, 11:25 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your luck fella, itys about as bad as mine......but I have some V3 sti heads/cams for sale from the car im breaking.
Old 10 March 2012, 11:43 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Default HG

Originally Posted by jayallen
Sorry to hear about your luck fella, itys about as bad as mine......but I have some V3 sti heads/cams for sale from the car im breaking.
How much?
Old 10 March 2012, 11:51 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

i think need more info?

what compression ratio is engine?

id be more inclined to look at ARP studs or improper torque sequence. anything over 400bhp use cosworth high tensile studs or RCM 14mm ones
Old 11 March 2012, 12:04 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

How much?
£270
Old 11 March 2012, 08:20 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

We've never had a head gasket subsequently fail on any Subaru engine. I can only put that down to very careful preparation and working out the CR by trial assembly.
Cosworth don't make a 1.6mm gasket. We run the basic ARP studs up to 500 bhp plus.
It's possible to work your original heads to open up the chambers. Personally, I'd strip the motor then check the condition of the surfaces and CR before you do anything else.
Old 11 March 2012, 09:19 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mje_wrx
iv never known a block to be skimmed after hg failure. on any car?
Well mine required the deck to be skimmed after HG failure, I wasn't going to get it done but then I thought about it; if the head can warp then why not the cylinder block as well?

I had mine checked by Advanced Automotives in Bristol, and they confirmed that the head and the deck were warped. If I had just had the head skimmed then I would have been looking at another HG failure very quickly after the rebuild.
Old 11 March 2012, 09:49 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Default HG failure

Originally Posted by LegacySTi
i think need more info?

what compression ratio is engine?

id be more inclined to look at ARP studs or improper torque sequence. anything over 400bhp use cosworth high tensile studs or RCM 14mm ones
Don't know CR ratio after measuring head height my engine builder recommended using the 1.6 mm gaskets.
The torque setting was as per ARP instructions in the correct sequence using a calibrated snap on digital torque wrench.
Old 11 March 2012, 09:53 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Default HG failure

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
We've never had a head gasket subsequently fail on any Subaru engine. I can only put that down to very careful preparation and working out the CR by trial assembly.
Cosworth don't make a 1.6mm gasket. We run the basic ARP studs up to 500 bhp plus.
It's possible to work your original
heads to open up the chambers.
Personally, I'd strip the motor
then check the condition of the
surfaces and CR before you do anything else.
Alan, what do you charge to do the gaskets & set up the compression ratio?
Old 11 March 2012, 10:01 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Default HG fail

Originally Posted by jayallen
£270
Thanks for the offer,I'll see if I can use mine first.
Old 11 March 2012, 12:38 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Default HG failure

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Well mine required the deck to be skimmed after HG failure, I wasn't going to get it done but then I thought about it; if the head can warp then why not the cylinder block as well?

I had mine checked by Advanced Automotives in
Bristol, and they confirmed that
the head and the deck were
warped. If I had just had the
head skimmed then I would
have been looking at another
HG failure very quickly after the
rebuild.
My block halves & heads were skimmed this is what worries me about doing it again. A CDB with ARP studs & cometics ought to be good for 500 BHP.
Old 11 March 2012, 12:46 PM
786omar
Scooby Regular

Have always used stock Subaru MLS gaskets in all my engines, including my current which I will be running up to 700bhp + , no failures to date,, if your heads were skimmed as well as the block its seriously odd! was the correct tightening sequence and torque settings applied on the ARP's ?
Old 11 March 2012, 12:48 PM
786omar
Scooby Regular

Did you get your heads pressure tested?, may even be a hairline crack somewhere?
Old 11 March 2012, 12:57 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Default HG failure

Originally Posted by 786omar
Have always used stock Subaru MLS gaskets in all my engines, including my current which I will be running up to 700bhp + , no failures to date,, if your heads were skimmed as well as the block its seriously odd! was the correct tightening sequence and torque settings applied on the ARP's ?
Yes it was torques up using the instructions in the box which were confirmed as being correct by my engine builder. Im thinking this is odd too,perhaps.there is an underlying reason for this,or perhaps Cometic gaskets are crap. I don't think many tuners use them. Think gen Suburu or Cosworth if I can find the will to do it again.
Old 11 March 2012, 01:08 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Default HG failure

Originally Posted by 786omar
Did you get your heads pressure tested?, may even be a hairline crack somewhere?
Heads were pressure tested & were fine. Before the gaskets blew it went through two mapping sessions & a power run on the rollers. I would have thought any cracks would have become apparent sooner. It was the last mapping session it had for methanol which killed it,but it was built to handle the power it's been mapped for & then some.
Old 11 March 2012, 03:07 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It does make a big difference what surface finish was achieved on the block & head face, was it milled or ground ?, some machine shop finishes are not compatable with MLS gaskets, as 99% of their work is for fibre gaskets.
Old 11 March 2012, 04:29 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Default HG failure

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
It does make a big difference what surface finish was achieved on the block & head face, was it milled or ground ?, some machine shop finishes are not compatable with MLS gaskets, as 99% of their work is for fibre gaskets.
Perhaps that's the problem,looked OK to me,but who am I to question those who are supposed to know better. All I know is my car is not usable after spending a fortune on it,& I don't know if I can afford or justify the cost of doing it again especially if it's going to happen again in another 2000 miles.

Quick Reply: HG failure on new build.