Sponsored by:

Need some advice on a MY96 Turbo 2000

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2012, 06:47 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some advice on a MY96 Turbo 2000

Hi fellas. I was wondering who has owned or have experience with early Turbo 2000s, more specifically MY96 cars.

Model code: GC8DK8D
Engine code: EJ20GNW5HD
Gearbox code: TY752VN4BA

My mate is considering getting one (before you ask why not an RA) because there are no WRX RAs here in Singapore as no one imported them in before and it's too late now as we can only import cars below 3 years old (from the 1st registration date). There were a handful of RA STIs and Ver 5/6 Type Rs brought in by the main dealership but those were subsequently exported out due to the silly tax system here. So what's left is just a handful of classic Euro WRXs or better known as Turbo 2000 on your side of the globe?

And the obligatory...

Mileage is really low It was about 89k+ km, but it didn't quite drive like a 90k km-er to be honest. The gearbox was very loose and crunched constantly in 3rd (synchros are probably shot), engine seems fine, but it doesn't pull like how a classic is supposed to? I don't remember a classic (even euro) to go like that. There was also a bit of what felt like misfiring? at about 4000ish rpm.

My questions are:

1. I'm not sure if something is wrong, but it feels rather underpowered. I know the ratios are very tall, but 208ps on a 1235kg should feel quicker?

2. Being an early car, short of going standalone ECU, what else can he do? I've read the he could swap in a JDM WRX ECU and swap some sensors (cam and crank?) and he would instantly get 240bhp?

3. What about aftermarket chips? Who still makes them?

4. He is intending to do a RA replica, so RA gears will be fitted, but anyone knows if it's a direct swap if he manages to source for a WRX RA gearbox and diff? Cheaper this way.

5. His goal is to get it up to about 270 - 280bhp or so with the RA ratios. Any suggestions? Turbo, tune, engine etc....

We looked everywhere to check for crash damage but seems ok, boot lid has been repaired, FR suspension turret has had some repair done (maybe a minor side impact sometime back) but the rest looks decent.

Feel free to chip in.

Rgds
Errol