Sponsored by:

All that power.. why?

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2012, 09:18 PM
RICK...
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All that power.. why?

So I was sat at work earlier looking at upgrades etc to get me to 330bhp, then I thought, why do I actually need all this power?

Obviously it would be nice to get to the odd trackday, infact I don't think I've ever done one! but other than that it won't really get used to it's full potential..

So it got me wondering.. what do you guys think about when going for more power? Is it so you have a rapid track car? So you can beat people at the traffic lights? Enjoy the tuning side of it? Or purely because you can?

These days a lot of people seem to be obsessed by BHP figures. I've never really been bothered until I got my Scooby.
Old 07 March 2012, 09:21 PM
scoobychris300
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because its fun !!
chris
Old 07 March 2012, 09:28 PM
mestonian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RICK...
So I was sat at work earlier looking at upgrades etc to get me to 330bhp, then I thought, why do I actually need all this power?

Obviously it would be nice to get to the odd trackday, infact I don't think I've ever done one! but other than that it won't really get used to it's full potential..

So it got me wondering.. what do you guys think about when going for more power? Is it so you have a rapid track car? So you can beat people at the traffic lights? Enjoy the tuning side of it? Or purely because you can?

These days a lot of people seem to be obsessed by BHP figures. I've never really been bothered until I got my Scooby.
With this said, i suppose you could argue the point that a 1.2 fiesta is more than adequate to get us all around from A to B, but why do people buy ferraris and lambos when the quickest you can (legally) go in them is 70mph which a fiesta can do? I suppose it's all down to your own enjoyment, preference and likes/wants/needs. I bought the scooby because it's something i've always wanted, dont know why, probably from watching them rallying as being a kid because the next car im going to get is an evo (yes yes, i know!) ... oh, and the mrs wasnt there this time to make me buy a hairdressers (Convertible TT) car like before!
Old 07 March 2012, 09:30 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better driveability and a safer setup.
Old 07 March 2012, 09:31 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychris300
because its fun !!
chris
It`s a way of learning, when fitting things yourself, and because it`s different. Anyone can buy a car off the shelf so to say and do nothing to it, but where is the adventure in that??
There is however a limit, which if you cross its a different ball game. If you moderately tune a car but stay within its oem capabilities, so not needing things forged etc, then thats different to ripping the original motor out building it again with new internals and going after loads of horses. Each is fun but costs more to do the latter.
If your engine dies, then I`d say if you can afford it forge it, as you will have a greater piece of mind, and also scope for a bit more if you wanted to.

There is no real reason, other than a sense of satisfaction, fun, and co you can lol.
Old 07 March 2012, 09:31 PM
DEATHLYREAPER
Scooby Regular

an itch that needed scratching
Old 07 March 2012, 09:35 PM
scoobychris300
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Jimbob
It`s a way of learning, when fitting things yourself, and because it`s different. Anyone can buy a car off the shelf so to say and do nothing to it, but where is the adventure in that??
There is however a limit, which if you cross its a different ball game. If you moderately tune a car but stay within its oem capabilities, so not needing things forged etc, then thats different to ripping the original motor out building it again with new internals and going after loads of horses. Each is fun but costs more to do the latter.
If your engine dies, then I`d say if you can afford it forge it, as you will have a greater piece of mind, and also scope for a bit more if you wanted to.

There is no real reason, other than a sense of satisfaction, fun, and co you can lol.
well said!
Old 07 March 2012, 09:37 PM
scoobychris300
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

just hope mine dont die soon!! lol
but i know it will ! lol
chris
Old 07 March 2012, 09:38 PM
RICK...
Scooby Regular

Think you summed it up pretty well there mate
Old 07 March 2012, 09:40 PM
RICK...
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychris300
just hope mine dont die soon!! lol
but i know it will ! lol
chris
I'm paranoid mine is going to blow up and here I am sat looking at bigger turbo's and injectors lol.

Rebuilds can cost a fair bit though, I think you've got to really love the car to put so much money into it. Which we do Although I think if mine blew up I'd break it and get a Blob STi.

The price of an engine rebuild alone is the same as what I paid for my car
Old 07 March 2012, 09:44 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Because it's not how fast you can go but how quickly you get there boost is everything. Even at 320bhp running 1.4 bar, it's a million miles away from the humdrum of 1bar 215bhp gutlessness !
Old 07 March 2012, 09:47 PM
Loco
Scooby Regular

its strange, but the longer you have your car, the more you get used to the power. I remember the day I bought my WR1 - the guy took me out for a test drive, and when we got back, I was literally shaking from the adrenaline. It was awesome!

now, I have had it a year, and I just don't get that same buzz. So its time for more power!!

Another thing is bragging - couple of my mates have had cars in the past - 200sx's, Supra's, 300zx's, and most of them have been around the 300-350bhp mark. when I get my Impreza to 400, I know for sure they will all want a go in it...

its the little indescribable things that make you want more from your car. and most people won't understand it. Most of the guys I work with think I am wasting my money. but then again, they go out and get pissed a couple of nights a week, or go and watch overpaid men kick a ball around on a bit of grass for 90mins. For me, my hobby is, and always will be, tinkering with cars, bikes, etc.
Old 07 March 2012, 09:48 PM
chris_wrx
Scooby Regular

sod bhp torque wins races i do it cause what ever ive done weather it be push bikes or homemade go carts always wanted to make the original faster better safer
Old 07 March 2012, 09:54 PM
Scooby Senior

Not to mention standard UK2000's are slow compared to modern day cars. The fuel bills alone mean they are kinda pointless unless they are pushing more power than your average 40mpg hot hatch
Old 07 March 2012, 09:59 PM
mazmike
BANNED

i love driving mine on the track .faster than v12 aston and 911gt3 around silverstone .the look on there faces when a 1997 subaru just wipes the floor with them .no point having to much on the road but on the track its fun
Old 07 March 2012, 10:03 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I need power for "safety overtaking power".
Old 07 March 2012, 10:12 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I think we do it because we can; I think that after a while you get so used to the power and performance that you are looking for a newer 'buzz' as the performance level becomes boring and humdrum.

As an example I took one of my workmates out in my Spec C running around 420bhp and similar torque level and took him out for a quick blast only totalling around 1 miles there and back. Now I am used to my cars power and acceleration and can easily drive the car well within it's performance level but by the time we got back my workmate was shaking like a leaf (and not down to my driving skill either).

In his words 'I can't believe that a road car can be that f*cking fast' he wasn't used to the performance levels capable from my car and yet I thought that I was hardly trying and in reality I wasn't really pushing the car to the ends of it's capabilities.

To me it was just like another drive but to him it was a revelation that my car could be that fast, he didn't believe how fast it was but now he has more of an idea as to why for petrolheads enough is never enough.

Or is it that we Impreza owners take our cars performance capabilities for granted?
Old 07 March 2012, 10:28 PM
b33fy
Scooby Newbie

I'll go with that, as long as it doesn't become an obsession or at the expense or detriment of other things such as family.

Its the sense of achievement for me, with not only building my car but making it pretty quick as well, I'm not looking for massive bhp possibly 350-400 reliably. Though I am looking for over 500bhp a tonne though. just because its the same as a Veyron and because you can
Old 07 March 2012, 10:49 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b33fy
I'll go with that, as long as it doesn't become an obsession or at the expense or detriment of other things such as family.

Its the sense of achievement for me, with not only building my car but making it pretty quick as well, I'm not looking for massive bhp possibly 350-400 reliably. Though I am looking for over 500bhp a tonne though. just because its the same as a Veyron and because you can
Exactly, if it`s your only car, or you are on severely limited means (I know I`ve been there) then its not of major importance.
It`s not even chasing figures, some performance modifications can transform the feel and the general drivability, and in some cases also make the fuel consumption better (but usually it gets worse lmfao) but smiles per gallon.

Take my Impreza I bought it as a wreck and slowly but surely got her fixed and road worthy, managed to do it on a very tight budget, and even managed to get a forged engine for her (mine was dead buying the car) as it wasn`t a great deal more than a decent replacement engine. And I`ve manageable plans for it, and ones which won`t cost the earth. One of these days I`ll have to work out how much the car has actually cost me, as the vast majority of things were paid for by my old modified car which died, so the parts paid for parts on this, and the experience I gained from the last one, and doing nearly everything myself has saved a small fortune. If I paid a garage to do it all I`d never have done it.

I`ve been very lucky with some things, unlucky with others, and once she`s out from paint (2/3 paid for by insurance of a lorry) I`ll only have mapping to do, and I`ll have around 340-360bhp, which I`ll be finished until my turbo dies, and why replace when I can upgrade??

Last edited by Jimbob; 07 March 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07 March 2012, 10:49 PM
timgsxr
Scooby Newbie

For me forget spending money on the power, make sure your brakes work and spend it on trackdays, will be the best money you have ever spent
Old 07 March 2012, 11:38 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
I need power for "safety overtaking power".
+ 1

The overtaking ability always makes me grin
Old 07 March 2012, 11:56 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt want to put mine on a track,too nice for gravel rash ! We do it cause we love the thrill of it,and as said we get used to power weve got and want more.
Old 08 March 2012, 12:01 AM
Scooby Senior

Track is the only reason to own a scoob these days can't beat it, no rash at Snetterton
Old 08 March 2012, 12:21 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must admit that for road use mine at 310(ish)bhp was more fun than 420bhp but that's because I can't use that sort of power at the moment due to traffic etc I loved mine at 310 and I think that 300-350 is the perfect fun & useable limit on a classic, anything over that and you struggle to use it to it's max and it's almost a waste.
Old 08 March 2012, 10:07 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

My car is now over 400 bhp and as above, it's no more fun than when it was at the low 300's. When I'm out in it now I rarely get the chance to really open her up and just poodle around most of the time. It's like I know it's quick so why bother.
I actually like the bit of working on my car just as much as driving it. For me, nothing brings more enjoyment than getting in the garage for a few hours (away from wife) getting covered in grease..
My car is pretty much finished now but I'm constantly trying to find little odd jobs to do on it. Even thought about buying another classic to spend my time on, lol.
Old 08 March 2012, 10:35 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I considered selling my WRX at the end of last year. I then looked around and thought i'd need £5k for a Type-R which is still considered an older car. What with classics only falling in numbers and my WRX being a vitual member of the family i knew the day would come i would see one just like mine and think fondly of my 6 years of ownership. But surely as i reach 100k my engine is limited by time?
Also my gf's uncle built his Cosworth some 10yrs ago and whenever i hear his name its shortly followed by "He built his Cosworth himself".
And then i stumbled across the project section!

Solution? Forge and safe-guard my WRX, rebuild and teach my son's the internal combustion engine, give myself a hobby to get away from the stresses of my awful job and improve both my knowledge and confidence.

Last night after dropping off one of my staff i gave the old girl a little blast and all my trouble's were gone. Although after 6 years the sting in the tail isn't quite as strong as it once was, hopefully 350/400 will cure that.

Last edited by Kwik; 08 March 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08 March 2012, 10:52 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RICK...

Buy an old sh*tter for normal use and then you'll understand.
Old 08 March 2012, 12:32 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DT-SPD
+ 1

The overtaking ability always makes me grin
+3
Old 08 March 2012, 01:03 PM
Billy 3
Scooby Regular

Iv'e just bought a 2005 STi PPP which is supposed to be 305 out the box.Some people say that this figure is( more than optimistic ???,) more like 280/290.The car does feel really good and i am made up with it as a all rounder.
I will be getting the car modded next week,hopefully to around 340/340 for around £600 K&N De-cat and a map.This is where i want to be power wise.One for reliability and 340/340 is quite a weapon for a road car.

On another note. I have had a friend who have lost everything Family,money,job chacing power.He spent thousands
upon thousounds on a 8K car ????.Keep things realistic and enjoy what you have.

Last edited by Billy 3; 08 March 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08 March 2012, 01:22 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I took my bug STI to 340 bhp as soon as Ecutek sorted the mapping software, the sweet spot for a Newage STI, IMHO.

340 bhp is enough to get a lardy Newage into the "fun" category...
It's enough to put a classic into the "mental" category...

For an older classic, beware of instant clutch failure ( within a week ) warped brakes within the following day... and the possibility of tired suspension spoiling your fun.

This also applies to ageing STi's like mine, 10 years old this month

All IMHO.

dunx

P.S. Why because it's fun, and for christ's sake get on a trackday - the only place it's safe to use all the performance of your car... except the M62 of course

Last edited by dunx; 08 March 2012 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: All that power.. why?