Sponsored by:

My car issues

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2012, 06:42 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My car issues

Sorry long post! Ok since owning my Type R I've had a few teething issues.

After I got the engine rebuilt it went in to be remapped. It has an Apexi ECU. Car achieved 300 bhp and Torque to match.

Recently I had a very respected mobile mechanic look over my car. He found some issues which I needed to get done.

Downpipe was blowing due to uneven surface. So it was taken off and flattened so it was as good as new. Looked like it had been blowing from the join for a good while.

The flexi-joint in the headers had failed so that was taken off and repaired. This I knew about and wouldn't have been present at the mapping.

The Turbo inlet hose was split so replaced with a nice blue one (didn't see the point in putting on a second hand standard one in case it split again).

After the above issues were fixed the car was totally different, much smoother and seemed to be breathing much better (never felt like this before). However the check engine light and a buzzer noise would come on at about 5-6 k.

Took the car to another garage who put it on their Daskek Dyno and found the issue. My injectors where running at 95% hence the light but nothing to worry about. The guy also said not a major issue but if he had mapped the car he would have had more fuel going in at certain revs just for peace of mind. He did stress not to panic and it wasn't critical. I said why has it suddenly come on then and he said it could be because the turbo inlet pipe had a split in when it was mapped.

Ok so my questions!

So if you are mapper would you have known there was a split in the pipe.
On the rollers the car produced 330bhp and 300 Torque. Can there really be such a difference between rollers?
Can it be the case that the car could have been mapped with these issues hence why it only reached 300 bhp?

Not looking for a witch hunt here by the way, I have put this down to experience and just want to know for my own curiosty.

I'm just over the moon I finally have my car sorted after two yeas of ownership.

Old 25 February 2012, 06:45 PM
scoobychris300
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

split hose and still 300 bhp id feel lucky
chris
Old 25 February 2012, 06:47 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychris300
split hose and still 300 bhp id feel lucky
chris

Ah ok, that answers that then.
Old 25 February 2012, 06:54 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

wow, after 2 years of ownership. thats commitment
personally id feel a bit hard done by after original mapper missed potential issues. but i guess you werent paying for garage services....

get a pic or two up now...
Old 25 February 2012, 06:59 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Unlikely it was damaged at the time of mapping. But replacing the flexi joint with a smooth up-pipe may make exhaust gases flow better. Also adding the likes of a samco inlet hose will make a hell of a difference to the way airs pulled in. Really the mapped should have been tweeked/checked after these items werr fitted. Its not suprising its a little lean in places as its able to pull in more air than its mapped for.
Old 25 February 2012, 06:59 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigo
wow, after 2 years of ownership. thats commitment
personally id feel a bit hard done by after original mapper missed potential issues. but i guess you werent paying for garage services....

get a pic or two up now...
I know.

Car is just a toy, would have been different if daily drive.

Well I paid £400 for the map. If I had known then what I know now I would have got JGM to map her.

We live and learn sometimes the hard way.
Old 25 February 2012, 07:01 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Unlikely it was damaged at the time of mapping. But replacing the flexi joint with a smooth up-pipe may make exhaust gases flow better. Also adding the likes of a samco inlet hose will make a hell of a difference to the way airs pulled in. Really the mapped should have been tweeked/checked after these items werr fitted. Its not suprising its a little lean in places as its able to pull in more air than its mapped for.

Ok understand. Still learning.

Trending Topics

Old 25 February 2012, 07:02 PM
scoobychris300
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ScoobLou
Ah ok, that answers that then.
ok then ,yes any well respected mapper / tuner should have noticed a split hose in a turbo pipe these machines are designed to tell them anyway! 300bhp to 330 yes split hoses can make that much difference!i would have expected more hence sarcastic reply! YOUR CARS NOT RUNNING CORRECTLY ! so i wouldnt have expected it to make that however what mods are you running ??
chris.
Old 25 February 2012, 07:08 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychris300
ok then ,yes any well respected mapper / tuner should have noticed a split hose in a turbo pipe these machines are designed to tell them anyway! 300bhp to 330 yes split hoses can make that much difference!i would have expected more hence sarcastic reply! YOUR CARS NOT RUNNING CORRECTLY ! so i wouldnt have expected it to make that however what mods are you running ??
chris.
Car has a straight through Apexi exhaust, decatted downpipe, stainless headers, and Arc Airfilter box.

This one:

Old 25 February 2012, 07:11 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Nice
Old 25 February 2012, 07:15 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Nice
It is very nice but unsure if it makes much of a difference as been told you only need to upgrade the air filter if you going for big power.

However the noise this things makes is amazing.

I think they quite expensive new. I know the replacement filter is nearly £80!