Sponsored by:

Powdercoating costs

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2012, 10:29 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Powdercoating costs

Planning on getting a few things powdercoated, basically ARB and rear arms and maybe a few other little bits a pieces... is this expensive? Approx costs?
Old 24 February 2012, 12:14 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a lad near us does wheels at £1 per inch... i.e. - 17inch wheels... £17... and so on. Not sure about other lil bits tho, thought of having a bash yourself? Surely rear arms dont need to be flawless?!
Old 24 February 2012, 12:19 PM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

I believe there is usually a minimum order charge. I think its somewhere around £130. If the colour is black or something common then you may get better rates if you wait until they are doing that colour for someone else as they have to swap the colour in the spray equipment which takes time. We always specify powder coating for outdoor use whether or not that actually makes a difference to what they use I'm not sure. Preparation is key and you usually get what you pay for. When it fails it usually fails around holes or edges because the coating is thinnest there because it sits on the surface like a giant water droplet with surface tension. Once the coating is broken water gets under it and it comes off in sheets very quickly. If you ask when you are getting your coating done you can get a matching colour touchup, hope this helps
Old 24 February 2012, 01:49 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by type-rob
I know a lad near us does wheels at £1 per inch... i.e. - 17inch wheels... £17... and so on. Not sure about other lil bits tho, thought of having a bash yourself? Surely rear arms dont need to be flawless?!
That seems quite good value... have you got any contact info? Email address?

Nah, would want the work done properly, wouldnt have a clue what I'd be doing

Originally Posted by L3YMS
I believe there is usually a minimum order charge. I think its somewhere around £130. If the colour is black or something common then you may get better rates if you wait until they are doing that colour for someone else as they have to swap the colour in the spray equipment which takes time. We always specify powder coating for outdoor use whether or not that actually makes a difference to what they use I'm not sure. Preparation is key and you usually get what you pay for. When it fails it usually fails around holes or edges because the coating is thinnest there because it sits on the surface like a giant water droplet with surface tension. Once the coating is broken water gets under it and it comes off in sheets very quickly. If you ask when you are getting your coating done you can get a matching colour touchup, hope this helps
Excellent info, thanks mate... if we're talking minimum orders, how much powdercoating could be done for £130?
Old 24 February 2012, 02:24 PM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

dunno because its done my square metreage I think prices vary wildly. Powdercoating is applied thus... Work attached to electricity making it charged, powder sprayed into air/onto work, powder sticks due to static, work is baked making powder melt and fuse together to form a skin of sorts. I cant remember what the powder actually is I think its a form of polyester plastic?
Old 24 February 2012, 07:01 PM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

correct it needs to be polyester for outdoor use.
Old 24 February 2012, 07:13 PM
dean_1991
Scooby Regular

i do powdercoating.. shame you abit far could do you good little deal.. out back door if you get me..